Help with drwer system for FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would anyone out there be willing to make/replicate a drawer system for a FJ62? I want/need a 2 drawer full length setup for overland travels, that I could also sleep on top of. I have a ARB 45 fridge/freezer that will be mounted with a slider. I have removed the rear passenger seat, and am trying to make the most of the free space now. I have looked at a lot of systems but they are way out of my price range as I live on disabled veteran pay/fixed income.

I'd be willing to pick it up anywhere in the Mid America/Southwest States, and can pay between $300-$600 depending on what you'll need to get it done, and I would like it carpeted. Thanks a bunch!

You have a very nice set up! Wow, where are you and what do you think it would cost to make for a 62? Thanks, I have to look at a map and see how far you are away. For a setup as nice as yours I would maybe travel far to get it? Are you ever back in AZ.?

Last edited:
You have a very nice set up! Wow, where are you and what do you think it would cost to make for a 62? Thanks, I have to look at a map and see how far you are away.

Thanks, ducatiman. :)

For a fellow disabled vet, I would keep it within your stated budget parameters. However, I'm about 1950 driving miles from you in Brunswick, GA (which is about 50 miles north of Jacksonville, FL on the east coast).

For the cost of a decent portable table or skill saw, some plywood and carpet you could build your own and stick within your budget with ease. I built one with just shelves in the back in one weekend. I'll try to post some pics soon. One thing with slide out drawers on ball bearing slides is that if you are parked on an uphill slope, the drawers will tend to slide out fast and be hard to close.

Mark

I have looked into shipping before and it was going to be like $160 for a drawer from Slee. Would you consider making one and shipping it on my dime?

I've built several of these for FJ Cruisers and a couple of FJ80s, but unfortunately I don't have access to a FJ62 for designing/fitting/sizing purposes. :frown:

For the cost of a decent portable table or skill saw, some plywood and carpet you could build your own and stick within your budget with ease. I built one with just shelves in the back in one weekend. I'll try to post some pics soon. One thing with slide out drawers on ball bearing slides is that if you are parked on an uphill slope, the drawers will tend to slide out fast and be hard to close.

Mark

x2. I built one in my kitchen in two weekends last year and that was my first attempt tackling this kind of stuff. It's a bit rough around the edges, but carpeting is a great camo for half banana skills! ;)
Link there. I didn't use sliders at all, and this has been working great for the past 16 months.
:cheers:

whats your time frame? i may be able to come out after the snow has melted in Silverton (what time of year is that?) and build you one similar to mine. I ended up saving on weight by using lids and hatches and eliminating the need for fully boxed stuff. Mines about 80lbs give or take and i was able to use the seat bolt holes in the floor. The benefit is that its fully floating and not attached to the body except via the base which has the ability to flex with the rig and not make all sorts of creaky noise when driving.

My depth was only 6.25" as my girlfriend and i are minimalist campers and dont need tons of storage and like the 36"floor to cieling left over. On a 60 you could easily go above the wheel humps to maximize ease of install- and get 7-8"depth(just a guess-no 60 handy to look at). Mines dead even with the wheel humps and made cutting the shape/contours a bit more difficult versus going right over the humps

heres a few pics:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=184768

Ive got a 60 parts rig at a friends and havent looked at it in a while but another option might be making a fully removable one in his if you want to head to the West Coast / Bay area to pick it up.

Last edited:
I am open on time frame. I sometimes will head out to California to surf Venture/Oxnard/Malibu. Never been that far north, but to get a drawer system I would try. Basically want a full bed system that I can put a fridge slider on, sleep on, and just store stuff in. Thought of side entry drawer/panel, for side door access too? Let me know what's better for you? Snow here is usually gone by April/May. We are now having an unusually mild winter, and is expected for next 3 months to stay warmer, and dry.

found a friend to help out and make one for me here in town

Today a carpenter friend stopped by as I was de-smogging my truck and offered to make the drawer system for me. I plan to have it made as a full length setup as I have removed the flip/fold up rear seat and like being able to recline my seat without the interference it caused. We talked also about having rear side-door accessed drawers or top accessed storage too. Going to then mount fridge slider on top of drawer. Maybe one big drawer with a divider down the middle, and tin attached to the bottom to make sliding easier. Plan to carpet it as well, and use all available space. I will post photos after completed. Thinking 3/4" plywood.:)

carpenter too busy now

Okay, the guy is too busy to make the drawers for me, so I am back to asking for help from MUD members again. I know what I want and have all the details, plans, photos from links here. I can pay someone to do this $300-$600 cash.

Its a basic 1 drawer with a divider or a 2 drawer setup, full cargo length of FJ62, with either "wing" portholes or hinged access, and side door access the same; either hinged or porthole type lift out to access what I need. The setup can be 2 pieces that latch together if you want.

Please help!

Just to refresh this topic..again...and again..
P1010888.jpg
P1010912.jpg
P1010901.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom