Help choosing RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
The idea of an RTT is becoming quite interesting to me lately but with all the offerings on the market it's difficult to choose.
Have you heard about or do you own a roof tent by Gordigear out of Australiia. I was impressed after watching a few YouTube videos.
Any insight from those who know about roof tents would be appreciated.

I think I saw that one online when I was searching but like you I hadn't heard any feedback/reviews on them so I passed it up. Then I bought a tried and true ARB Simpson III. That was two years ago and it's holding up very well. I'm a big guy at 6"2 and 255 lbs and it's plenty big inside for me. It's water tight in pouring rain and durable. I only have two complaints, one is that the damn rain fly flaps in high winds and keeps me up at night. (I took it off for a while) But I figure they all do that. Number two is that the slanted entrance way cover is too low and it rubs against my bare back when I go in/out. I would like the older design with the squared awning thing better but it's very far from a deal breaker. Overall I'm very happy with the tent and satisfied with my choice.. But since it's my first RTT I cant tell you anything about comparisons to other ones. Good luck with your search.

The Tepui showroom in Santa Cruz, CA is only 120 miles from me. I think I will go see their offering in person. They are supposedly high quality even though, like all others I suspect, they are made in China.

The Tepui Autana was my very close second choice. The ARB won by a hair only due to ARB being a better known and longer lived company. But that is perhaps a minor point in this case. I say go for it. If you like one of them come back here and order it from our resident Tepui rep. I believe you get a discount that way.

Yes, I was speaking with Adam about the Tepui tents this morning.

You just missed the group buy on CVT tents Cascadia Roof Top Vehicle Tents :: Camp is Where You Park It you might call and see if you can still get in on it
Hey, thanks for the heads up. I checked them out a bit on good old YouTube yesterday. They seem to be on par with the others I have investigated. In fact, after looking at a few brands, they all seem to be about the same wih regards to quality, design, warranty and price.
I feel an inclination toward Tepui because they are only 120 miles from my house and they carry a "Ruggedized" line that I think would work well for winter camping.
I was hoping to hear about some real world experience with some of the tents out there.

CVT now sells Pioneer and Summit series of tents. Pioneer is what they've been selling all along. Summit series came around in the last year or so and features thicker fabric and is intended for hard winter use.

I recommend CVT

I just bought a treeline tent out of Canada. I really like it. You can see it in my profile pic. check them out at treelineoutdoors.com

My CVT Mt Shasta arrived today! Really impressed with this tent. look at the CVT Summit tents you won't regret it.

So I have been looking at and comparing the CVT Summit series, the Tepui Ruggedized tents and the Tree Line Outdoors tents.. They are all very close on paper. What I noticed is that the Tree line Outdoors tents are by far the most expensive (Plus Canada can kiss my @$$). The Tepui Ruggedized tents are some heavy suckers compared to Tree Line's published weights. I had to email CVT for info on weight of my choice tent, the Mt. Shasta Extended Summit series. I am a ways out from actually ordering a tent but find myself leaning toward CVT for a couple reasons: they are a USA based company with experience, they will take your old tent on a trade up deal down the road, heaviest canvas material (by a little), and because I found no misprints on their website. I have a hard time paying that much for a tent to people who can't create a well written advertisement. Any other brands I should include in my research?

Last edited:
I recently switched from a Tepui Autana Sky to a James Baroud Discovery XXL. I loved the Tepui but got a little tired of the tear-down routine after a combination of a lift and bigger tires. Of course, the price of the JB was a tough pill to swallow but rationalized it given how frequently we camp. The downside to the hard-shell is that it takes up the entire roof platform.

If I were to get another clam-shell RTT, I'd go Tepui Ruggedized in a heartbeat.

What did Canada ever do to you? Not a fan of Poutine? Look at the geometry of treeline vs the others. Better wind and snow load abilities in my opinion and the skylights in both the tent and fly are worth an extra couple hundred to me. I can lay in my bag and look at the stars...love it. Oh and it is lighter....that was a big one. My tent is about 1.5lbs I think and I have OME heavy suspension....I still really feel it up there in corners.

I recently switched from a Tepui Autana Sky to a James Baroud Discovery XXL. I loved the Tepui but got a little tired of the tear-down routine after a combination of a lift and bigger tires. Of course, the price of the JB was a tough pill to swallow but rationalized it given how frequently we camp. The downside to the hard-shell is that it takes up the entire roof platform.
x2.... if your type of camping is moving every day, I'd go with a hardshell. Easy up and easy down. If you basecamp and explore on foot/bicycle, the soft shell tents offer more room/luxury.

I think buying a RTT is like buying your first computer, so many different styles and brands to choose from it is hard to decide. The hard shell tents just didn't fit my budget. I went with CVT because of Bobby, the icing on the cake was he also agreed to a group buy. If you want a CVT tent call Bobby great guy!

Stock rack won't hold one so yes you need an aftermarket roof rack, or at least some thule or yakima type gutter mounts and bars

Stock rack won't hold one so yes you need an aftermarket roof rack, or at least some thule or yakima type gutter mounts and bars
I was hoping to avoid a roofrack. Do RTTs mount to 2, 3, or 4 cross bars? I was thinking at least 3 to distribute the weight.

I would want at least 3 if i went that route. This is my Prinzu rack I couldn't be happier with it, highly recommend this rack!
20160907_180118_1473289418909_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom