Headliner Replace Vinyl or Cloth (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone with experience having a vinyl headliner?

I am going to replace my cloth headliner and can get vinyl or a cloth version. (Cruiser Corps).

Is vinyl more durable? Easier to clean I would think.

Thanks,

sean

That’s a lot of square footage for new vinyl to stink up the interior of the car. From a stench standpoint alone — I’d go for fabric. Vinyl is gross.

Cloth will let the roof top dry out from any rain gutter leaks. I used perforated vinyl in my FJ55 (custom headliner) to avoid water trapping.

I put in one of their vinyl headliners and am very happy with the results. There was no odor and easier to install than I thought it would be.

Cloth absorbs much more noise and breaths better. Like you mentioned vinyl is easy to clean. That cloth looks good as well.

Cruiser Rebuild (584) 2.jpeg

IMG_7932.jpeg

Looks great. Did you install yourself? If not, what did the shop charge? I have a separation at the back window and was told the whole thing has to be replaced and was quoted $2k plus material at the first place I went to. Getting another estimate.

@Dpcruiser was the cloth version from CC as well?

IMG_9312 2.JPG

@Dekeman, yes CC has both vinyl and cloth. On sale 15% off until tomorrow but they seem to run that deal a few times a year.

I didn't think about the noise and moisture, good points. I will be going with the cloth.

I got a quote of 1K to put it in from a pro. Thinking I might do it myself tho.

s

@adamsfly How long did the install take for you?

How long did the install take for you?
I would say about 12 to 14 hours spread out over a month as I started it in the winter and would wait for small windows of warm afternoons, probably not the best way to do it, but the results came out far better than expected. I really took my time as it was my first attempt at installing one. This will give you an idea of what new vinyl looks like .

IMG_1825.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the vinyl camp. Easy to clean. Had no smell to it. But I also had the local upholster do all the seats in vinyl shortly after. That has a smell. But, I actually like the smell. My wife, not so much.

I went with the SOR headliner. Very happy with it. I've had very good customer service from SOR. But, Cruiser Corps has also been a good supplier.

Good advice above to be patient. You need to play around with every corner before you make your cuts. If you cut too far it may be irrecoverable. I used Weld-on 1829 as the glue in conjunction with small clamps (bag of 100 from Amazon). This allowed me to peal and restick the headline as many times as needed to work out the wrinkles. Also, you'll likely find rust in the front window frame so make sure you fix that with POR15 before reinstalling the windshield.

IMG_7170.JPG

IMG_7172.JPG

Great tips. Thanks. Nice job. The pro installer said it would take him a day, 6-8 hours but that was with the windows out.

I did the vinyl headliner from SOR after I welded my roof back on after my rust repair. I wheel my truck so I wanted vinyl just from a clean up perspective. I also think it looks great. Took me about +/- 4 hours to reinstall it start to finish but it was the first headliner I had done.

I went vinyl with no regrets. Had the visors redone in matching vinyl. Cleans up nice, no smell. Clamps, patience and good glue are essential.

Consider replacing roof pads with heat and noise dampening material.
20170701_143233.jpg

Any difference in quality between the vinyl from SOR or Cruiser Corps? Maybe they both source from same place. Is either the best place to source from?

Any difference in quality between the vinyl from SOR or Cruiser Corps? Maybe they both source from same place. Is either the best place to source from?
I picked mine up from SOR but that was 10 years ago.....

I ordered my SOR headliner last year and was very pleased with it. The pattern is cut well and I had plenty of material to work with and trim off. I have not experience with the CC one. FYI you can also buy new plastic fittings from Toyota for the headliner bows if you break any. Some of mine were old when I pulled them, so I just replaced them all since they were cheap.

Here's a pic of my SOR one. My first attempt at ever installing a headliner so excuse the amateurness of the install.

IMG_4640.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom