Headliner removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm taking out the headliner to try to fix my jammed sunroof. Everything is off amd the headliner if loose except at the sunroof. The headliner won't come away from the sunroof surround. I've checked the FSM and there doesn't seem to be anything specific about getting it loose from the sunroof surround.
Anybody have any ideas? What am I missing? I don't want to damage the headliner and so far have been successful in that but at the moment am frustrated.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ned

The side pillar and lower interior stuff needs to come out first to drop the headliner. I gathered that info from some pics that @suprarx7nut posted below. You can see some tabs over the doors and other areas holding the headliner in place
>>Headliner & Interior removal / swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/headliner-interior-removal-swap.1068854/post-11763104

1670948102531.png

Thanks for the reply.
It's loose all the way around including at the edge of the sunroof but still seems to be fastened at the edge of the sunroof itself. Puzzling and I can't tell how it's being held up.

Did you remove the fabric trim that attaches it around the sheet metal there? I seem to recall their being a press fit trim around the entire opening that holds it.

The side pillar and lower interior stuff needs to come out first to drop the headliner. I gathered that info from some pics that @suprarx7nut posted below. You can see some tabs over the doors and other areas holding the headliner in place
>>Headliner & Interior removal / swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/headliner-interior-removal-swap.1068854/post-11763104

View attachment 3192652

Hoping you might know what's "under" (on top of) the headliner that is buzzing/rattling something awful? I'm gonna use some staycation days after christmas to go after it. Driving me crazy. It's like the whole panel is vibrating and buzzing but it sounds like it's something inbetween the the roof and the headliner.

There are a few pieces of velcro, really strong velcro, holding the liner up around the sunroof area. If you pry down gently and try to look in there as best you can you can see where they are. I think I may have put something long in there to pry it down at the velcro strips but it's been awhile so my memory is fuzzy.

In any case it's the velcro that is your problem.

Here's a photo from when I fixed my sunroof showing one of velcro pieces. I think there's maybe 2-3 on each side? I don't remember it being difficult to detach. I think I just pulled it down with two hands so it wouldn't crease.

IMG_1695.jpeg

Hoping you might know what's "under" (on top of) the headliner that is buzzing/rattling something awful? I'm gonna use some staycation days after christmas to go after it. Driving me crazy. It's like the whole panel is vibrating and buzzing but it sounds like it's something inbetween the the roof and the headliner.

Do you have a rear entertainment screen? That would be my guess if so. Mine was installed pretty poorly and it seems like the wiring could easily make some noises/vibrations. I ripped it all out when replaced the sunroof cables. Where is the noise coming from?

IMG_1690.jpeg

Do you have a rear entertainment screen? That would be my guess if so. Mine was installed pretty poorly and it seems like the wiring could easily make some noises/vibrations. I ripped it all out when replaced the sunroof cables. Where is the noise coming from?

View attachment 3196008

Don't have any rear entertainment. It sounds like it's right behind the sunroof, like there's a large area just over the rear seats that has something rattling up on the headliner. What are those large brown panels in the picture?

Don't have any rear entertainment. It sounds like it's right behind the sunroof, like there's a large area just over the rear seats that has something rattling up on the headliner. What are those large brown panels in the picture?
The large brown panels are the acoustic foam from the factory. The rattle you might be hearing could be the roof skin delaminated from the roof structure.

Found more here if anyone else is struggling with this:

My headliner was also buzzing against my roof so I stuffed pieces of soft foam between the two until they were spaced slightly apart. I removed the u-shaped trim that surrounds the sunroof opening to access the gap and pushed the foam pieces in with a stick.

My headliner was also buzzing against my roof so I stuffed pieces of soft foam between the two until they were spaced slightly apart. I removed the u-shaped trim that surrounds the sunroof opening to access the gap and pushed the foam pieces in with a stick.
Thanks, will try this before dropping the entire f*ing headliner.

View attachment 3192652
do you happen to have a 100 series headliner for sale or know where i could get one made?

ok thanks man

Follow up posted here. In short, dropped the headliner, solved the problem. Def a long project though, did it over two half days.

It was the roof support rattling against the roof. The adhesive between the two was hard, cracked, and no longer adhering the two together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom