Roof panel support rattle (from hell) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched but everything is sunroof related, which isnt what im experiencing. So whats happening is basically the adhesive that gets sandwiched between the roosupports and the roof panel is well past needing re-application.

I pulled the headliner last summer to dynamat the roof and tried to use some foam pieces in between the roof body parts, but no dice.

i havent found a good adhesive, any recommendations?

Photo of glued areas attached

F1E8BF48-D044-4E6D-8AF1-63B3D1C41D97.png

Did you find any good product?

I am about to pull the headliner and check.

Experiencing a roof rattling noise in the rear right area of roof. Between cargo and 2nd row seat.

Be aware that typical panel bonding adhesive dries hard as it's meant to weld/bond two pcs together. I would think with the roof braces you want a urethane Body Sealer that dries semi flexible. Look up the TDS for the material you want to use and check the service temps and uses. Whatever you choose, it must be able to withstand the radiant heat from sunlight baking the roof (worse on dark paint) as well as freezing temps.

I'd consider this: Indicates service temperature range of -20F- +180F

TDS

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.09.16 AM.png

Last edited:
Just pulled my headliner this weekend to find a very similar rattle problem (@mrsmiff my same ah-ha moment hit when I saw flex of roof upon closing one of the rear doors). What did you end up doing here, and did it fix rattle?

Sound seems to be originating not anywhere near sunroof, but between cargo and 2nd seats cross member (as pointed out by @Hflcruz ). Thinking about sticking a bunch of sound-deadener material up there but curious if its a part that has gone bad vs. some engineering issue with original design--which, as many on this forum may conclude, would be patently impossible :)

That is exactly where mine appears to be banging and loose. There's a couple big dents there so I suspect that something heavy was dropped on it by a previous owner.

I haven't pulled my headliner yet but I have the adhesive on-hand now. Planning on cracking everything open around May 1st.

Considering an alternative path on this - instead of the glue points as discussed above, I am considering jamming a rubber spline (from screen door supplies) along the length of each cross-member, where the black goop has become de-bonded. This should create a good contact point on the metal-to-metal, while resisting the temperature issues considered above.

I inserted some temporary cardboard pieces and drove around today, with sound diminished (and no headliner). Thoughts?
2021-04-21 18.22.08.jpg

Hey I wanted to see if any of you made progress on this. I’m planning to pull the headliner in November and applying the 3m product recommended for this area.

Project was a success - rattle is gone. Headliner removal of course a total pain, I hope to never do it again (and required buying some new parts along the way as a PO had striped some screws, etc) -- but very much worth it. Used some rubber pieces in some areas as extra insurance in case adhesive failed.

Any pictures. I have delayed because of the pain of removing the headliner.

Should be doing it before end of the year.

I don't sorry - was just heads down trying to get it done. But, there's a good thread on here about headliner removal process that I used.

Considering an alternative path on this - instead of the glue points as discussed above, I am considering jamming a rubber spline (from screen door supplies) along the length of each cross-member, where the black goop has become de-bonded. This should create a good contact point on the metal-to-metal, while resisting the temperature issues considered above.

I inserted some temporary cardboard pieces and drove around today, with sound diminished (and no headliner). Thoughts?
View attachment 2652221
I see the 2 pieces of cardboard stuffed there. Is that where and the only place it rattles? i have had this sound now for the last 1-2 years. getting very annoying

Thanks. If you have handy please share here. Thanks.
I just tackled it this weekend for the same exact problem. The adhesive between the roof support and the roof essentially gets hard, cracks, and then you get some metal to metal type resonating/vibrating/rattling. (see red below.) It was driving me nuts for almost 2 years. I had some extra headlight sealer tape lying around from doing my HID upgrade, seemed like the perfect replacement for the factory adhesive. I stuffed quite a bit of that butyl rope in there and it did the trick. The headlights see some pretty wild temp fluctuations so this stuff should be fine. No idea if this is the best fix, but it's what I had and I'm pretty sure it will work for a very long time.
Amazon product ASIN B01N5PM29J
I also covered that naked roof panel with some stereo sound deadening materials I had laying around also for good measure. It's a large patch of un- insulated resonating sheet metal, so it can't hurt.

10/10, would do again. The rattle was so bad I almost wanted to sell the damn thing.
Tips: Use plastic panel tools to pop and pry the panels off, use a headlamp or flashlight to find the fastners before you pull and later push, don't force anything. take your time. I did this over 2 half days. Half a day to drop it, half a day to put everything back. I wish I had thought to add felt tape to all the joints for extra rattle resistance but I didn't think about it until I was done but I did spray them with dry silicone lube to eliminate squeaks hopefully.

1672777091724.png

1672778010780.png

VuEtyoXjUbGdNwR8HujGPGbgmjmc33zG5F1KBGEvlWyxlitHOFL8tHUgbQn9IVCwyxQL_vTMjzu7WqIx9FuMqsG1lPw44JD9xggCfGqKrFcmmpL7ros0TqgTqmRzoCJBXej28Mg-k29SqX_7OhNOuAo8w8HRPTYnnulldKP6tMawG5cDfsj8_82Xz8kYj0tlWk-KSuimnKVnC30I8K2MTu2wkUYBTCvjQGIHr2BH0xEvj53FjnMHWuAB9FCOodbUgfC38GJjjx1zOMkO4yjVXj2dg77vqTppvFXwBfV5cP4PjbN-1WTdWyNySf3EYpBYYvxvyypfjUMQWg8hOPUEUkbuRRJoO-f_uRy5tM3d5Hb381HtIkT_cImbWCGS2aSKRXfjny3_rSO78fsprCZiMVCQejMjfJIbLqH2iuwrppSxuEuzGIm4TU_3pPT4fRULcEJZGPT8wsDhEvPiNzPxJlF8CwOJycOBIq_LF0OO7yQdQrSO_Q1LHX--qkisrAh99_jXHj-mxc3y1bpRfqIHc-rpOXOeTGAm7Fedw3uxh8e5K1ium4cp_VAKO6LqOmYcufu9K-O90HO5XiwabdkFRTjuLDccQYHB_qqxzpiTNiGTx-LSmos0rBrxii9h358NYTLY34NApF5FIy14E0OBo2f7Kxy39fevdv9bdeS40ofY038lQLOPyRCsEFR0qtwpZebUYi_0NnjZ2wkw9ha1dvgjYhE8PpDPMX9xGbHfKqTBmKVNUoEIYOHYMmd2VvIuWEs4o1IG6iGTHBmHOZa8x824ryZPCqcjjP5fEyaCID0lZm0yV8Ln8OCpDv0wdc8lh4ljH5u_bOwZxxO5GVtxpzpKfWRpjb1dFaUT_hd3FQqWIxFMO0oFTstciGsuXHbw9n6Jc9W6bF-mKc4dPLqDAYTSaXXnvBRAuRWavRt4x3UNBKB_0w=w1250-h937-no

0YRnl2Gde84j0qTqZtdhtyQQ-gi3jD3B0sHyo3B7Q2Og_DfI3sgWyHbKoZY9CXdaUY8lQkpKeemX5GFwI3gQ8z-FPyQl_M5CHzM7kLQkqi3tiUSUv5bjlfKrEAesgiA1YwMKhLU7rNkGp_JGAYRkxelaW4fh2VXjPMsGytaLSwmevhOVGvIis6cxJxzCUlSj6dcZZldvILFRwwGVLYiYfMveatAgU1Ozt_M8MddDY_kgJtf16Ckx3i-CWZ43CWovTMU_kaxKrx-kSRreigSLpy96Wdxep3LuMJmI5PmwHZVCqgGSx0nnTw9v4e4NsxtyV1MrfoRFslKAZkbM_1fHiLtznRohqoEWmqT6Q2XkpedwafQxvoZgT9A3O7fyGQ_aKmGH2HaTHbHhQ3U3S0h4ycLOAs4_UqFAodOZiHjCo8pgE4Quz4qX7jnCzR2e523WJnPWhYCYRd1HtuGaZJMdts9mCEVA-W-HoMOzCfAcb-lWnfCnzkecqroLBVfLNZYDNvdMYrq2P4SBIrMDtpAFOJLIHEvt14c53-9K_MmWedLvyP7SG5oCLiuUOSa3NmqddUuyy_A9xY69IaeDhEsRX4mPE1mwTzq72JpgFwn0ChgNF1HBH7Zo1J2Mwl2IxcdytfTuFNcu2WoNLzsBotifauaumv6ucN3M9HFiCH2etAI8BwYsMd2PKuVxVVdYDhwnn4ybn2gJtrckrU0nCmmqcJcog8kisIWzxv9fylR8sNEuqzhmBgkYX0Emub1tpox9sszmuEscJ4zJ_h5D2X5E98LnziREJN43aqwqq3QV6TyXxXrVGqilihN56Xu_a90fc3eMRAqFaYILMGBG96BLxrerWnn1UAoDIIFzCw2dkICMpHfoxf0HcqKl6j2wKFMk-1ODdLbTFa-2yYn0heeuhnsowuq8-cORuy3YpgW1tS73EyEhuA=w1245-h937-no

Last edited:
Thread revival. Came upon this thread, of course after finding my roof rattle.

Found separation at both the forward and rearward b-pillar roof supports. Came across the vibration by accident while applying Kilmat to the roof. I had a rattle that I had assumed was in the rear a/c duct work.

I've got some spare tubes of 3M seam sealer from another project. Also have a few rolls of butyl "tootsies."

Also, the hvac duct work does rattle as well. Noticed the retaining pins don't hold the assembly tight against the body. The metal to metal section is the worst. Going to add some foam tape between the body and ducts.

Last edited:
Follow up to my roof rattle due to the failed factory seam sealer. Discovered that the failure is from rust that formed between the roof panel and the sealer. The factory, as did most, applied sealer to bare panels.

Unfortunately, due to time I had to ignore that the rust is there and applied the new sealer between the roof panel and support frames.
It's only "minor" surface rusting but I'm sure it'll have to be address sometime in the future. Fortunately, of all the cars I work on these have the easiest interiors to disassemble and remove.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom