HDJ81 exhaust ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the 3" big bore steel exhaust from outback imports installed 2-3years ago. Its now totally rusted out and in need of replacement.

Any suggestions?

buy your own mandrel bends and copy it.
Do it in stainless if you want it to last a long time? It will be pricy. I am soon to be purchasing my stainless for my turbo install.

I had the 3" big bore steel exhaust from outback imports installed 2-3years ago. Its now totally rusted out and in need of replacement.

Any suggestions?

Wow, that sure didn't last long? I had my exhaust made up at a muffler shop over 3years ago, but hasn't rusted out yet to warrant a replacement, must be the aluminized steel tubing they used? When it does finally rot out, I'm going to go with mandrel bent SS and down the middle inside the frame instead of the factory route.

Yeah im pretty PO'd about it. I paid good money for it. They sell a ceramic coated one as well which would last longer. But I wasnt aware of that option.

Best to go with SS as you guys say and get it done right at an exhaust shop.

Wow- mine is stainless to the muffler and aluminized from there to the tailpipe. Someone recently painted the stainless portion of it with silver BBQ paint, made it look pretty rice-y. The silver overspray on my newly black undercoated wheel wells was a nice touch too... No corrosion issues on mine after 2.5 yrs...

Where did it rust out? Wheel well?

I think Rocky Mountain sells a bolt on SS system, but I don't remember if it's turbo back (I have a feeling it's not, and it may only be 2.5"). I could look it up, but I'm too lazy at the moment.

The whole friggin thing. Waste of money.

what brand exhaust?

I bought the Rage from Rocky Mountain a few years ago. It's dump pipe back, SS and ceramic coated. It's a bit rusty now and, originally it goes out the rear of the truck near the right corner. I pinched that a few times and had to have a shop fab a new tip out the side behind the right rear wheel.

Also it goes outside the frame when it leaves the turbo and drops down quite low. Like two or three cm lower than the rocker panel for a foot or so. I won't buy it again. I'll get an full ATEB custom 3" next time.

If you search "exhaust pipe" posts by me you should find pics. I'd do it myself but also too lazy and already in bed on phone.

Im not sure. Its listed on their website in the gear shop.

Yeah. Thanks for the heads up.

I might have to take a trip over to van for an ATEB in the future.

IIRC John was having a hard time finding SS in 3"? I will have to ask him next time.

I was speaking to someone the other day who has the Rage Big Bore with the ceramic coating, and its starting to go already too. I think SS is the only way to do it.

I was speaking to someone the other day who has the Rage Big Bore with the ceramic coating, and its starting to go already too. I think SS is the only way to do it.

Speak of the devil!

This link takes you to a thread in which you can see my low hanging Rage and the way Cruisin' fabbed his siders around it. It's protected by the slider (I've tested them), but still way too low for the price. It sounds really good, but certainly doesn't square with the s***ty positioning.

Thanks Jason.

looks like the Rage is a bit of a pos...

For those of you who don't know there are different grades of stainless.

Ideally if your going to spend the money on stainless go for 304 SS. It will last the longest

409 is usually used by companies which they still label as stainless (even though it is) but it will not last as long as 304. 409 is used mainly in exhausts.

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/StoreFront

I'll be placing my order next week or the one after. I can report back on how the stuff is if anyone is curious.

My only regret with my 3" custom Ateb exhaust is not going stainless, but the routing John used in conjunction with how I wanted it tied into my bumper leaves it extremeley well protected with nothing exposed; No exhuast tip to crush, muffler is tucked up inside the frame.
The last time I looked, the pipe material was holding up well, the only bad part being the bend after the last frame cross over where it goes up into the bumper, that being the lowest part of the unit tends to collect any moisture from any short trips.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-bc-coastal-cruisers/428168-its-big-thick-black.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/428174-another-3-hdj81-exhaust.html

The areas that have rusted the fastest on mine are where it gets the spray off the tires in the front wheel well and behind the back wheel. The way John Voo routes it this will be way less of a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom