HDJ80 Pre-Fuel Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

Searched and searched with no clear answer

Anyone done a Pre Fuel filter on the HDJs? 1HZ/1HDT/1HD-FT?

We have terrible fuel stations in remote areas.

I'm about to start on this project and am worried about not suppling enough fuel pressure.

I removed the fillter on the fuel inlet pipe in the tank and replaced it with this inline diesel fuel filter.
Wix 33972 & Napa 3972

33972.jpg

Wix 33972 & Napa 3972 Fuel Filter

I installed it in the engine bay at the outlet of the sedimenter where it's easily monitored for fuel condition.

Prefilters are standard on post 95 model 7* series in Australia. Prefilters usually have a much bigger micron rating so the flow is not disrupted.
Also , Toyota diesels suck about 3-4 times as much fuel to the fuel pump than needed, so it would take a fair bit of restriction to starve them of fuel.
Even when my prefilter was totally clogged with rusty water residue , the loss of power was barely noticeable.

The 80 series prefilter assembly part number is 23330-17010 and there is also a bracket for it that hangs off the main filter 23924-17010
Probably save a packet with an after market setup.

Last edited:
Well that sucks!! I wish I knew about it before ordering the fuel manager unit. The one I have is the 100 Series FM.
Going to hook it up after a test drive. of the freshly rebuilt motor.
Thank you for the reply
@boozewz Check this out. You may also want to add a pre filter on your diesels.

The 100 series FM are supposed to be to be ok. Is this replacing your primary filter or in addition to it?

Genuine 70/80/105 series filter housing assemblys can be had quite cheaply via amayama etc
Having two interchangeable genuine filters could be an advantage in a remote area?

Genuine 70/80/105 series filter housing assemblys can be had quite cheaply via amayama etc
Having two interchangeable genuine filters could be an advantage in a remote area?

You are right. This would have been a smart move as well. But the FM filters are easily available in major cities here. Going to stock a few just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom