H55F (FJ70) gearbox needs rebuilding... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI there. I have a 1988 FJ70 with a 3F on gas and the gearbox is finally rooted. 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear syncros are stuffed and it whines really bad in all gears, particulary 4th. Transfer will need replacing too.

What I would like is some advice on getting a reco/change over box for it at a good price, I'm in west Melbourne but would be prepared to go all over Melbourne for the right thing. I have seen some advertised on ebay but the descriptions are vague and they are in NSW.

Also, it appers there is some confusion about input spline count between models/years, can anyone clear this up for me?? I.E. What is the spline count for the H55F in my car.

Thankyou,

Cheers Brad.

Call RooDogs in Murray Bridge, they are opening a new branch with a service shop in Melbourne soon and will be able to take care of your needs.

RooDogs 4WD Spares

The H55F in the FJ is the same as in the HJ series - a common transmission and transfer case.

~John

Brad ,any reputable gearbox rebuilder in australia will tackle a landcruiser box.
Ask around on outer limits for local knowledge

rainforrest333.jpg

rainforrest565.jpg

rainforrest411.jpg

rainforrest410.jpg

Have fun, definitely easier with a trayback, LOL

HI there. I have a 1988 FJ70 with a 3F on gas and the gearbox is finally rooted. 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear syncros are stuffed and it whines really bad in all gears, particulary 4th. Transfer will need replacing too.

What I would like is some advice on getting a reco/change over box for it at a good price, I'm in west Melbourne but would be prepared to go all over Melbourne for the right thing. I have seen some advertised on ebay but the descriptions are vague and they are in NSW.

Also, it appers there is some confusion about input spline count between models/years, can anyone clear this up for me?? I.E. What is the spline count for the H55F in my car.

Thankyou,

Cheers Brad.
rainforrest847.jpg

rainforrest451.jpg

The 1Hz got the fine spline that is longer, 3F and 2H got the coarse spline and the 3B got a short one[not shown].cheers

Cheers, thanks heaps for that guys.

I bought a spare box a few months ago with the intention of replacing the bearings in it to fit to my car. Long story short, the box was opened up before I got it and it looked to have been hosed out and then siliconed back together, it was a righ mess inside, rust on most parts due to having no oil in it, so I abandoned that idea, lucky I did, I now know it is the fine spline one as above!

So I took it apart except for the input shaft bearing, it's stuck on solid.

Now, knowing how expensive the parts are for Toyota I would not want to take my box in to get rebuilt, I'd rather get something already opened up and done. But then begs the question of whether they would take mine as change over....

I brought the car knowing 2nd gear syncros were stuffed so I've been double clutching it, trying to baby it until the other week 3rd and 4th died too, it was only a matter of time. It has the hose between the transfer and gearbox already fitted when I got it and was out of oil so i've kept my eye on the level. Bearing noise in 4th is beyond bearable...

It's not my daily so thats a good thing but I want to get it ready for more fun this winter;)

Cheers Brad.

Lemme guess THe kids took it apart and you have to put it together again. :)

Cheers Mate, That was done by my son and myself and has been back together for sometime now [4 or 5 years] I think. I did a write up on it at the time. The manual got a flogging and I took a lot of pictures as I pulled it apart in case I forgot the sequence. Best regards.

Cheers, thanks heaps for that guys.

I bought a spare box a few months ago with the intention of replacing the bearings in it to fit to my car. Long story short, the box was opened up before I got it and it looked to have been hosed out and then siliconed back together, it was a righ mess inside, rust on most parts due to having no oil in it, so I abandoned that idea, lucky I did, I now know it is the fine spline one as above!

So I took it apart except for the input shaft bearing, it's stuck on solid.

Now, knowing how expensive the parts are for Toyota I would not want to take my box in to get rebuilt, I'd rather get something already opened up and done. But then begs the question of whether they would take mine as change over....

I brought the car knowing 2nd gear syncros were stuffed so I've been double clutching it, trying to baby it until the other week 3rd and 4th died too, it was only a matter of time. It has the hose between the transfer and gearbox already fitted when I got it and was out of oil so i've kept my eye on the level. Bearing noise in 4th is beyond bearable...

It's not my daily so thats a good thing but I want to get it ready for more fun this winter;)

Cheers Brad.
Cheers Brad , something else that may help you identify boxes is the later transfer cases had a thicker shaft [forget the actual measurements] Someone may advise please.
The later H55F Boxes also have a V shaped nick on the gears and parts to identify them from early gearbox parts. Will dig up a picture. Regards.

I have my new gearbox and clutch etc.

Does anyone know which way the clutch plate is supposed to go on these? From memory the prodruding part on the spline on the clutch plate goes towards the flywheel?

Cheers Brad.

Ha Ha. I'm pretty sure it will only bolt in one way. I have the new box in now, just have to bolt everything to it, top up with oil and then test. So it must be right.....

Cheers Brad.

the side that protrudes more face the pressure plate.
Simon

the side that protrudes more face the pressure plate.
Simon
OH NO.....

I have it the other way and I have driven it and it seems fine. I was going by this pic below as I didn't get a response in time.....

EDIT: I have searched all my workshop manuals, the internet and the literature that came with the clutch and they all point to having the protruding part on the clutch plate towards the flywheel, as I have it. When I was refitting the new clutch I positioned it all together and the clutch plate would only sit in the flywheel recess one way. So fingers crossed, all is well.

Now I'm very confused. Am I going to kill it like this?

Cheers Brad

Last edited:
Hi .
98 % of clutch plates the high part of the plate faces the pressure plate . You will be sending torque the wrong way thru the plate also the dust slots wont expell the dust as well .
Hopefully the plate run is reverse will still have the same travel thru the springs too the stopper pins as normal and it will work ok.
Just may not get 200000klm out of it.
Dave

So by the high part do you mean the center of the clutch plate where the springs/dampers are, one side sits out and the other is flush. I have it installed as you mentioned then. I'll take a pic of the old plate to help explain better. Below, using the old clutch is how I have it installed in the car.

I know if it were around the other way, I'm sure it would be very close to the flywheel bolts.

Cheers Brad

Last edited:
OH NO.....

I have it the other way and I have driven it and it seems fine. I was going by this pic below as I didn't get a response in time.....

EDIT: I have searched all my workshop manuals, the internet and the literature that came with the clutch and they all point to having the protruding part on the clutch plate towards the flywheel, as I have it. When I was refitting the new clutch I positioned it all together and the clutch plate would only sit in the flywheel recess one way. So fingers crossed, all is well.

Now I'm very confused. Am I going to kill it like this?

Cheers Brad[/Q

Brad , that is a 2H clutch and it is facing the same way as you have yours in the picture. The clutch and pressure plates are bdifferent. The 2H flywheel is different also.
Read again what Cambelt wrote.:cool:
:idea: Maybe email exceedy/daiken and get them to write front and back on them as nissan does on some of its clutches, cheers.:beer::beer:

I have it the right way, it will only fit one way, just stressing as I have spent $2500 on this bloody thing getting it working again!!

It drives well, just might need to bleed the clutch and let everything settle in, new clutch and reco box.

Yeah they usually have something indicating orientation on them from new.......

Thanks guys!

Cheers Brad.

the 3rd pic shows the right way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom