Builds GXOG: My 2003 GX470 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We got it to fit stock, but it took a LOT of time.

I helped my brother with his suspension swap on his GX (over the phone while he was at Metal Tech). If you pull the relay and fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and unplug the suspension control computer under the DS kick panel you can disable the flashing light. Just adding this here in case someone was wondering :)

hmm, tempting:

image_products_gm6891faa.jpg

image_products_ford_77broncoraa.jpg

Would want a FF rear though. Doing research on final costs.

What's funny is the German Tie rod I just put in that's not Toyota is the best alignment I had had...and I did it with a tape measure in the grass!

Because I don't have them on. Never used them = no way to recommend them.

Technically both setups are coil overs but yours are not adjustable without changing the spring rates. I just always wondered why you never went with adjustable coil-overs in the first place?

Technically both setups are coil overs but yours are not adjustable without changing the spring rates. I just always wondered why you never went with adjustable coil-overs in the first place?

The incredible pricing I got on the full package from iron man had a lot to do with it.

Dan, if this has been covered sorry, I searched and didnt see anything.
I know you have talked about pulling a camp trailer in the past.

Do you think the ironman springs increased your towing capacity over the factory air bags? I'm curious why the 4.7 v8 would have the same 6500lb towing rate as the 4.0 v6 tacoma. the 4.0 4runner is only rated to 5k lbs, is that difference because the taco has leaf springs in the rear, would leaves be a possible set up to replace the factory air bags, or would the frame not allow for the mounting points?

Leaves would be incredibly hard. Coils are easy. I can handle more weight in the rear no question with the IronMan springs I have on (heavy). I can load up quite heavy in the back and not sag to I imagine they would be better for towing. As for total load...not sure.

I regularly tow a 4000 lb trailer with a 500 lb tongue weight with the gx. The air bags keep everything perfectly level. I had air bags on my 3rd gen 4r too and it needed them to stay level; even with fj80 springs back there.
Tow rating seems to be a complex formula the manufacturers calculate using the weight of the vehicle, gross combined weight, the drivetrain, wheelbase, hitch type and frame.
The taco, being lighter probably affords it an edge in rating with the same motor.

The gx barely feels the trailer behind it, where as my 3rd gen 4runner with a 5k rating you knew it was there. Even when I sc'd the 4r it was near its design limit.

Put in a new diehard platinum 850cca battery. May be upgrading the alternator shortly as my Oem is a little low on the amps when tested.

10374506_10152155566783123_175527996777428539_n.jpg

wheres the beef, Dan? video link no good

It says facebook disabled it because its private or they didnt care for its content....what have you done!?!?!

You arent my friend I guess lol, try now, i made it public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom