GX 470, 150+ lbs in the back sure improves the ride. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sharing my obsevation. I am in the process of moving, and after loading a heavy bag (punching bag), and about 75 lbs of misc crap in the back of my 06 gx470, I notice a vast improvement in the ride quality. I assume the extra lbs cause the air suspension to lift, thus firming up the aging suspention.

I also have it in sport setting.

Question: I am needing some new tires and I am very partial to the BFG AT's.
If anyone has swithced from the factory Michelins over to the BFG AT's, could they please share their impressions of overall ride/handling/noise/other changes?

Thanks.

I need about 200 lbs in steel on the back of mine to settle the Iron Man suspension I have!

I like the Toyo ATs better than the BFGs along both the aesthetic and functional fronts.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTAyLTAwMjAzLmpwZw.jpg

Do the Toyo's offer any cost savings, because my experience with Toyos have been not so good. Many flats, poor road (and off road) handling, and they certainly wear out much quicker than the BFGs.(as quick or quiker than the stock Michelins) I do appreciate your response, and it could be your tires are just as good as the ATs, but from my experience I have seriious doubts.

I guess I am mainly interested in input from folks that have converted from stock tires to the BFG ATs in the same (or close to same) size.

New shoes are spendy and I want the best ones for the long haul. I am concerned that a $1200 investment may just change the very smooth ride I love with the GX.

the Duratracs I am running are the best AT I have ever had in 10 years.

Do the Toyo's offer any cost savings, because my experience with Toyos have been not so good. Many flats, poor road (and off road) handling, and they certainly wear out much quicker than the BFGs.(as quick or quiker than the stock Michelins) I do appreciate your response, and it could be your tires are just as good as the ATs, but from my experience I have seriious doubts.

I guess I am mainly interested in input from folks that have converted from stock tires to the BFG ATs in the same (or close to same) size.

New shoes are spendy and I want the best ones for the long haul. I am concerned that a $1200 investment may just change the very smooth ride I love with the GX.

I went from stock 4R tires to BFG ATs and i was happy with them. the only downside is the mpg hit since they are undoubtedly heavier and unsprung.

If encountered many flats and poor handling, just not sure we can point that towards tires alone. The Toyo ATs I ran even in much wider specs (285s) were super smooth, quiet, and reliable. they also balanced MUCH better than the BFG TA KOs.

Thanks everybody,

Good info. I do appreciate any and all real world input. I am fairly certain I will go for the over priced BFG t/a ko's. Heavy tires may eat into the gas mileage a bit, but the puncture resistance puts my mind at ease when I take the occasional mountain trail. Flat tires are a serious buzz kill and I have never had a flat with the BFGs.

ROK- When you say "MPG hit", how much are we talking about? 1 or 2 less MPG?

Update:

Picked up the new BFG AT ko's (6 plys) the other day. Overall I am happy the purchase. The ride is just slightly less smooth than the ride from the same price Michelins, and I know the BFG's will last twice as long. Road noise is nill. I have yet to notice any increase in fuel consumption (with the Michelins I always averaged about 17.5 mpg mixed city/hwy, and after aprox 300 miles on the BFG's I am still averaging 17.5).

As for the 150lbs in the back:
After reading a thread about cycling the hieght selector before I head out, I have notice a night and day improvement in ride quality. No need for the extra weight in the back.

Re: Toyo AT tires

I have a 1997 F150 in the 'fleet' which used to be my DD. It has Toyo AT tires on it right now and they're great. Prior to these Toyos, the truck had a set of Toyo ATs on it that lasted 85K miles. Good tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom