Growling noise on my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a growling noise while braking on my 97 lx450. I'm starting to scratch my head trying to figure it out. Replaced my ujoints. No dice. Had another tech ride with me at work and we came to the conclusion it was a wheel bearing on the passenger side. Took the knuckles apart and found a bad wheel bearing and figured that was it. Installed all new bearings in the knuckles and put them back together with new seals and grease. Noise is still there. Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or if anyone has any ideas. I'm open to suggestions before I start going crazy. Thanks for the help
It's a 97 lx450 with the OME 3.5" lift and 315's

And no it's not the brake pads worn out:D

I have the same thing on my 80. I thought it was the brass bushings in the spindles, so I replaced those along with the birfields and the drive flanges. Still there.... Checked all the wheel bearings and repacked. Still there... I am starting to think it might be my tires...

Has any one checked the ring and pinion gears?

That was my next guess after the tires. I had ring/pinion noise on deceleration in my black LX450 and it was very noticeable and could be induced by feathering on/off the gas. This seems to be a different noise, a growliing like Cruiserhiggs indicates. Could be carrier bearings but I doubt it...

Cruiserhiggs - Can you induce or stop the noise by feathering the gas? If so Dimples may be right in your case...

It is only noticeable when I'm braking. If I give it gas it goes away. If I brake hard it goes away. You can also hear it if I go over the railroad tracks at a speed greater than 30 mph. I tried putting the trans in neutral. Still there. Put the trans and t-case in neutral. Still there. It's really only while braking that you can here it the most and you can feel it in the floor but not in the steering wheel. No ABS light either. Can't feel it in the brake pedal. Just this loud growling noise.

What about suspension. Bushings could cause a vibration under softer breaking and stop when held firm by harder breaking.

What about suspension. Bushings could cause a vibration under softer breaking and stop when held firm by harder breaking.

Engage the center diff lock and take the front propeller shaft out and see if it goes away.
That will isolate the front r&p.

Yeah I did that and my noise was still there. I'm not thinking it's the ring and pinion because when I've had problems with them before on different vehicles the noise they make can be made using the throttle and the brakes usually don't affect it much unless your pinion bearing is shot. And my pinion bearing feels solid. This is why I am going crazy trying to find this noise. I appreciate all the feed back. I may just end up removing the thirds and inspecting them

You could place a go pro under the rig and go for a drive. You may be able to see it on video.

You could place a go pro under the rig and go for a drive. You may be able to see it on video.
Along those lines, I had an idea for diagnosing undercarriage noise. Buy a cheap microphone and plug it into this bluetooth transmitter. Keep moving the mic from part to part and perform repeated test drives. Have not tried it personally but I own (2) and have been thinking about giving it a try...

61cJwyWfQSL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P24XKS8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm still working on the noise. Trying to track it down. I'll let you know when I figure it out

I know not everyone has or knows someone with a vehicle lift but what I do at my work for vehicles with drivetrain noise is I lift the vehicle by frame. then take it up, have someone drive it in the air at the speed making the noise and I go under it with our stethoscope and locate the noise. You could probably do this with floor jacks but just be careful to not touch the wheels and driveshafts. lol, I have seen my buddies 97 80 have a weird growling noise that sounds similar to how you describing yours, he did a full front axle rebuild, new gears and bearing in both front and rear thirds. when I was helping him I was coming to the conclusion it was coming from the transfer case, maybe an output shaft bearing on the transfer case is the noise. we never did remove the front driveline to see if it went away. hope that helps.

Update: I removed both drive shafts and took them to AZ driveshaft to have them both balanced. Found out the rear shaft was slightly bent so they put a new tube on it and new ujoints and my noise is completely gone. It's so nice to have this fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom