Great News!!!! We got it started, but it wouldn't stay started :-( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A small safety story. We were trying to get a car started by pouring gas in the carb while someone else turned the engine over. The engine backfired and the guy pouring the gas jerked, this poured gas on him and he caught on fire. He ran for a second then did the drop & roll on the lawn. No burns, totally unhurt but we did learn the lesson.... Don't pour gas in the carb while the engine is turning over.;)

Three people have suggested the same thing 3 different ways. It sure sounds like you have no voltage on the coil when in "on position."
I suggested measuring voltage to determine whether that might be it, the guy coming tonite is jumpering the coil to determine the same thing, Javier said it might be the same thing.

If it starts when you jumper the coil then you need to figure out whether it's the resistor, switch, wiring, etc.
To do that, try my tests.
If none of that fixes it, ask more questions or send it to Javier.

okay next question, is there another source for a gas pedal cable for my Sept 1977 FJ40, other than SOR?
It turns out the PO was using a bike cable for the gas pedal cable, lol

WE GOT IT RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it purrs like a kitty

Basically we had to remove the wire from the coil that goes to the ignition switch and hard wire the starter to the battery, so now I'm actually thinking of leaving it that way and mounting a on/off switch in the dash that simulates this.

(I'll post up the video of what we did, give me 15 minutes..... now I just need a gas pedal cable and I could go driving, lol)

Here's the video (give it a minute to buffer)

Last edited:
I hope you're kidding about putting a toggle switch on your dash. That's worse than using a bike cable for your throttle...

lol, no it was something I typed for my wife, so she would get to have her ghetto speech, no we are presently trying to find out where that issue is, but for now, until it's solved were leaving the jumper in so I can actually drive it around

Ok, nice job verifying what we suspected and getting it running. Woo hoo!
Now you need a permanent fix. It sounds like you jumpered around the resistor.
That means that the coil is running at a higher voltage than it is designed for.
It will run for short periods like that but you run the risk of burning up your coil.
Correct me if I'm wrong and the hot wire was run to the resistor.

You need to get in there with a voltmeter and verify whether the resistor is bad or something else in your wiring or ignition switch. Go look at my post again. And do this test without your jumper.

I know it doesnt help with the startup issue, but spent all day trying to get my lights working. same problem with turn signals. took a break and was reading your thread. atleast in my case Poser was right on the ground problem. the plates inside the turnsignal were corroded and not making contact after about 5 mins with a wirebrush everythings working perfect.

-Mine did the same thing. Dirty ignition fuse. would start but die as soon as the key was released. rolled the ignition fuse and it ran. took the fuse out and cleaned the holder and fuse and it stays running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom