Got Gaia GPS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phil did you ever swap out to the ipad in the 80? If so, What do you like about it over your previous set up?

Time to chime in...Android Gaia/Samsung Tab4 details:
  1. I bought a Samsung Tab 4 ~11 days ago from BB (14-day return policy, it's going back).
  2. I got a trial version of Gaia (customer service from Gaia sent me the link, I never saw it on the the Google store).
  3. I've recorded three trips via Gaia on the Tab 4, quick impressions as I need to hop back to the job:
    • Tab4/Gaia combo isn't "perfect":
      • 7" form factor probably isn't one that Gaia tests with via Android (possible iOS devices) - found myself having to routinely rotate the Tab4 to account for the popup keyboard Gaia wants you to interact with when saving pictures and/or adding/editing Notes against record(ing/ed) trips. The screen rotation, as it is with any "smart" device, can be pretty frustrating if it is something you have to repeatedly do and this is definitely the case during my limited use in the past ~1.5 weeks (yes, I'm impatient but that extra second or two delay each time I'm waiting for this frustrates the bejezus out of me)

I run this on Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and I don't have the screen rotation problem when taking picture for waypoint. However, I am unable to get the picture for the waypoint to display.

I dumped the 3g/GPS iPad idea for a Gen II iPad with a Bad Elf for what Im told will be the best performance. The Bad Elf arrived today, down loaded the Bad Elf app, and Im up and running.

Looking into upgrading my Blue Sea dual USB port to a stand alone USB to get the full 2A. With only 1A Blue Sea gives the iPad it can barely keep up now. Any experience with a stand alone hi output USB port?

Any experience with a stand alone hi output USB port?

Not personally but would also be interested if you find one; please chime in with anything you do procure (assuming you like it). thx.....

I dumped the 3g/GPS iPad idea for a Gen II iPad with a Bad Elf for what Im told will be the best performance. The Bad Elf arrived today, down loaded the Bad Elf app, and Im up and running.

Looking into upgrading my Blue Sea dual USB port to a stand alone USB to get the full 2A. With only 1A Blue Sea gives the iPad it can barely keep up now. Any experience with a stand alone hi output USB port?

This is what I am using. The 1 amp goes to the Bad Elf and the 2.1 amp to the Ipad Mini. Runs all day and keeps both fully charged. I found the 1 amp was insufficient for the Ipad so I went to this. Thing is there is no label and I cannot recall where I got it. T
USB Plug.JPG

What Bad Elf are you using? I thought all of the Bad Elf models charge the Ipad through the Bad Elf, one power source.

Does this mean the USB chargers from Blue Sea are only capable for charging at 1 amp? I just bought a few planning on putting one up front and a few in the rear to keep the kids happy...

Google is my friend, must be the bluetooth Bad Elf, didn't know there was such a thing.

What Bad Elf are you using? I thought all of the Bad Elf models charge the Ipad through the Bad Elf, one power source.

Does this mean the USB chargers from Blue Sea are only capable for charging at 1 amp? I just bought a few planning on putting one up front and a few in the rear to keep the kids happy...

Went down this road when the dual USB became available. If you are using an iPad you may find this interesting.

Copy & pasted from another forum Im on-

I'm Checking on the iPad question. 2.1A is the total output for the plug not the individual sockets, If you only use one socket the output is 2.1A. According to Blue Sea "the 1016 talks to Apple products and according to their protocol, will limit the output to 1.0A for that socket." I'll post up once I get a definite response on if it will charge 2 iPads.

My response -
True ^ when using a iPad (Apple products) Blue Sea inputs a recognition code and limits the output to the iPad (Apple products) to 1A. If will charge the iPad fully but it will require more time due to limit of 1A. Any products other then Apple products can get the full 2.1A for a single plug but the device is still limited to a max output of 2.1A.

My source was Blue Sea engineering dept.

Here you go. Walmart $2.99. Can't beat it, works great.

One reason I use this is it works in my Cruiser and my airplane, which is 24v. T

http://www.walmart.com/ip/INSTEN-Wh...ung-Galaxy-S4-i9500-Note-3-iPhone-5S/28882299

• Dual USB Mini Car Charger Adapter, White
  • Quantity: 1
  • Note: Needs to pair with a USB charging cable(comes standard with iPhone or iPods originally)
  • Use your car to charge any devices (digital cameras, mobile phones, USB accessories and more) that can rely on USB for power! This adapter plugs into your car's cigarette lighter jack to become a powered USB port
  • USB car charger adapter charges your device from any standard cigarette lighter in any vehicle (Use together with USB charging cable)
  • Patented circuit board designed to protect your valuable gadgets from short circuits
  • Fit all electronic appliances that use a USB charging cable
  • Input: 12V-24V
  • Output: 5V/ 2.1A, 1A (Dual)
  • Color: White
  • Product names are trademark of listed manufacturer or other owners, and are not trademarks of eForCity Corp. The manufacturer does not necessarily endorse use of these products.

Here you go. Walmart $2.99. Can't beat it, works great.

One reason I use this is it works in my Cruiser and my airplane, which is 24v. T

http://www.walmart.com/ip/INSTEN-Wh...ung-Galaxy-S4-i9500-Note-3-iPhone-5S/28882299

• Dual USB Mini Car Charger Adapter, White
  • Quantity: 1
  • Note: Needs to pair with a USB charging cable(comes standard with iPhone or iPods originally)
  • Use your car to charge any devices (digital cameras, mobile phones, USB accessories and more) that can rely on USB for power! This adapter plugs into your car's cigarette lighter jack to become a powered USB port
  • USB car charger adapter charges your device from any standard cigarette lighter in any vehicle (Use together with USB charging cable)
  • Patented circuit board designed to protect your valuable gadgets from short circuits
  • Fit all electronic appliances that use a USB charging cable
  • Input: 12V-24V
  • Output: 5V/ 2.1A, 1A (Dual)
  • Color: White
  • Product names are trademark of listed manufacturer or other owners, and are not trademarks of eForCity Corp. The manufacturer does not necessarily endorse use of these products.

I have purchased several 2.1A dual plug in sources only to find it will not delivery 2.1A from one port when using the iPad.
I need to ask have you tested the output?

I have purchased several 2.1A dual plug in sources only to find it will not delivery 2.1A from one port when using the iPad.
I need to ask have you tested the output?

Not specifically, however I did run a different dual plug (1 amp each port) for a day wheeling and my Ipad was almost dead at the end of the day. With this one both the Bad Elf and Ipad were at 100% for the entire day.

Back on topic....Gaia for Android.

I have Sygic on my phone (LG nexus 4) and it works quite well, except that it is a horrendous energy hog. Even with the phone plugged in, it will eat up the battery to zero when in GPS/travel route mode in a couple hours. Would Gaia have a similar issue?
I have a Google play card to spend, and am considering Gaia. Anymore recent android feedback?

just my two cents. I started out with Gaia on iPad gen2 with Bad Elf GPS. not a bad setup but the iPad was a bit large and in the way if a passenger was riding with me. Also every time I wanted to use it I had to find the Bad Elf, plug it in and hope the Bad Elf app didn't need to be updated. that got me once...
I have sense switched over to a slate with built in GPS running Android and Gaia. the screen is smaller but I actually like this setup better. Gaia works great, no complaints.

Update: I switched recently from Orux to Gaia due to Orux not being able to work easily and access the USGS wms maps. Gaia on the other hand has been working very well and has excellent quality maps. It is also able to download offline maps faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom