Gossamer- '87 FJ60 aka "The Red Monster" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.. yeah I would have to buy extra beer because every time I looked at that it would make me twitch something bad. And grampas ole' cough surp is the only cure!

As for the fuel tank I removed that multi-hose unit and plugged all the openings on the tank. I removed the restrictor in the filler neck and have the breather hose that goes to the top of the filler neck hooked up. With that I don't have any problems completely filling up the tank.

Do you have two vents then, the big vent that goes to the filler neck and then one more that goes up into the quarter? Do you have a sealing gas cap?

Without any vent to atmosphere and a sealing gas cap, I would expect the tank to develop vacuum to a point that it starves the motor.

Do you have two vents then, the big vent that goes to the filler neck and then one more that goes up into the quarter? Do you have a sealing gas cap?

Without any vent to atmosphere and a sealing gas cap, I would expect the tank to develop vacuum to a point that it starves the motor.

I have the same setup as boots, there should be no buildup of vacuum due to the fact that the pump is sucking in only fuel and being that liquid is incompressible. If you were sucking in a combination of fuel and air, that could lead to a vacuum situation but the truck would be running poorly so you would notice it.

I have the same setup as boots, there should be no buildup of vacuum due to the fact that the pump is sucking in only fuel and being that liquid is incompressible. If you were sucking in a combination of fuel and air, that could lead to a vacuum situation but the truck would be running poorly so you would notice it.

You are assuming that the pressure vessel (fuel tank) is 100% full of fuel, but that's never true. There is always air in the tank, not only in the fill neck, but also because the fuel neck inlet is 1-2" down from the top of the tank.

To test, take a straw, put it 3/4 of the way into a cup of water. Place your finger over the end of the straw, similar to how a fuel tank cap seals against the filler neck. Lift the straw up out of the water. The water is held in the straw by vacuum, similar to how vacuum is produced when you pull out fuel from the fuel tank without any vent.

I had a similar problem once with my stock fuel and evap system, with my 2F, when my charcoal canister clogged. I would be driving down the interstate with 3/4 of a tank of fuel and the motor would stall, like I was running out of gas. Take off the gas cap, and I'm good to go.

The only way to prevent fuel starvation, without a tank vent outside the fill neck, is if you had a gas cap that didn't seal.

J's new truck didn't even have a gas cap when he purchased it from Wyoming. Why? I bet because he encountered fuel starvation issues, due to not having a vent.

I guess my gas cap must not be a perfect seal then, because I had no starving issues. But as you mentioned, simply installing a length of fuel line with a filter on the end into the quarterpanel would eliminate the issue.

I guess my gas cap must not be a perfect seal then, because I had no starving issues. But as you mentioned, simply installing a length of fuel line with a filter on the end into the quarterpanel would eliminate the issue.

Possibly, or maybe there's a small air leak in your return line to the tank?

I had to buy a brand new cap a couple of years ago because I lost mine at a gas station, so it's entirely possible that the old cap wasn't sealing properly, masking my problem with the charcoal canister.

Thanks for the information guys.. As Johnny stated, my rig doesn't have a cap and all the lines are plugged coming from the tank. Makes sense why I can't fill it all the way up and that the motor was possibly starving due to no vent at all.

So for now (this weekend) I will first try and run a vent hose from the tank to the filler neck and see if I can fill the tank to full. Then I will install a gas cap and see if it stalls out after driving. If it stall out I will pursue a second vent.

Thanks fellas

J

Last edited:

I doubt my fuel cap seals well so that is probably were my make-up air is coming from. Good catch.

Bull bar

That's one of the meanest looking bull bar I've seen in a while. Nice looking rig!
:cheers:

Parts incoming... Hope to have my new fuel solenoid here by Saturday and get that swapped.

Bullbar.. well I'll do some work on it.. Great thing about my job is that I always have a industrial sand blasting unit at my disposal. The front bumper is lined (Al's, Raptor..??) and that will need to come off to make changes... Or HELL I'll probably build another.. same amount of time if not quicker.. I have all the materials in the shop to build several front and rears now..

J

OK.. I got a PM asking how I came up with this rigs name...

Gossamer was a creation of an evil minded scientist from the Bugs Bunny error of cartoons.. I suppose I'm an old fart... But this is what the rig reminded me of when I got it home and started going through it..

Here is the true WB Gossamer cartoon:

SEE THE RESEMBLANCE NOW...

J

gossamer 2.gif

Goss and Bugs 2.jpeg

Goss and Bugs.jpeg

P1030119.jpg

Needed beer... took Goss out.. When I returned I decided to plug him in.. It has a block and oil heater... Plugged it in and the breaker popped in the shop..

So, now I have to figure out if it's the oil or block heater that'd causing mayhem...

I have one plugged in now and the breaker is functioning.. Hope that it is the block heater.

I need a hard week in the shop to just run through this rig.

:mad:

J

Fiddled around with the block heater today... No matter what I did, it tripped the breakers.. I can't find a thing wrong with the cord, no crimps, no cuts, NOTHING.. It trips the GFCI and regular inlet immediately when I plug it in.. Got Goss started, drove around to get the motor to op temp.. hoping that it was just pulling too much due to the cold...plugged him in again AND.... popped the breaker.. So, the hell with it... ordered a new 1000W Kat's heater.

OH THE FUN WITH NEW TOYS!!...

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom