Good mechanic in Atlanta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie with recently purchased '97 LX 450 in search of a good mechanic in metro-Atlanta. If any of you LC gods know of one, I sure would appreciate the name. The first shop I found put my new OME springs on the wrong side and mounted the steering stabilizer backwards. :doh: And it only took them four days!

Obviously, I need some help if my new sled is to survive. All the wonderful tips and how to's did enable me to change my "groovy" drive belts last week - without a FSM. All it took was a couple of hours, a few explitives and couple of these :flipoff2: at my truck and finally one of these :beer:.

I am in awe of the multitude of knowledge, the unending willingness to help and the constant strain of wit and humor. I only hope to be able to contribute to this wonderful board, even if I stay a "rookie".

Thanks for your any and all of your feedback. Let me know if I begin to sound like a 6 year old in class by asking too many questions on the board. I know I'll never be a much of a shade tree mechanic. I only hope to learn as much about this fine vehicle as I can so that I can understand how it works and what will be entailed when something needs fixing or as they say down here in the south, fixin'. You know we all are always fixin' to do something. I guess for me it would be to stop typing. Ya'll have a good evenin'. :cheers:

go to www.georgiacruisers.org and get the info on the monthly meeting, then go.

There is Atlanta LC downtown, a guy up in Duluth that was a master TLC mechanic in south america for 20 years, and various friendly cruiser freaks that can help when needed.

I am in Woodstock, welcome to the fold!

PM dd113 - David Dearborn. Not sure what all he does with cruisers, but he is one hell of a great guy and knows a buttload about cruisers.

BTW, avoid DanKunz at all costs. I heard he's a trouble maker. ;) :flipoff2: :D

you really should try to do most of your own work, it is better and cheaper, (as you have already found out) if you need tools and help I am in Newnan and would love to help, I dont hav ea covered work area but the drive way is OK in good waether, a bit of a drive but might be worth it to you, there is also A club in Atlanta, the GA cruisers, you may be able to find someone closer,

Yes doing your own work is good, but when you can't, go to this guy.

Urban Land Cruisers, David Dearborn.
His shop is downtown,
Phone # is 6787931187
Email- davidd113@aol.com
He is in Tellico for GSMTR yesterday until sunday.
Great guy, knows his shiz, top notch work.

Thanks one and all for all the info and recommendations. Sounds like Mr. Dearborn will get a call from me next week. I hope by then that my springs and stabilizer are on correctly. Who knows if my caster correction bushings are in right?! ???

Taking my LX on it's first road trip to Florida over Memorial Weekend and will get back on Tues. the 1st. I'll drop the wife and kids off and tell them daddy needs a :beer: and wants to hang out with some cruisers. :D Hope to see you there Dan and Bailey.

RavenTai, thanks for the offer. I actually live in Alpharetta therefore making the trip to Newnan a little farther. It would be tough to do. With my driveway, a crawler, the FSM and smart guys like all of you, I hope to do most of the small stuff at my house.

Thanks again. Is it too obvious that I am getting hooked on the icons? ??? :D :D

[quote author=4fifty link=board=2;threadid=16578;start=msg159525#msg159525 date=1084930514]
Is it too obvious that I am getting hooked on the icons? ??? :D :D
[/quote]

No, it's not
aktion052.gif
tel.gif
:princess: :D

With that lift on there you will not need a crawler. Working on a lifted 80 is awesome until you need to do something like a tune-up. :eek:

Junk, I have to use a crawler. I don't want to get my nice golf shirt dirty when I'm working on my truck. I have a step ladder when I need to go topside. :D

I am 16 miles west of you and work on Windward.

Lemme know if you need hand, there are several wheeling 80s in Alph so we can help each other out if you need a hand.

[quote author=4fifty link=board=2;threadid=16578;start=msg159537#msg159537 date=1084931321]
I don't want to get my nice golf shirt dirty when I'm working on my truck. [/quote]

In that case, you'll fit in with DanKunz quite well.
99.gif
999.gif
9999.gif
:D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=16578;start=msg159545#msg159545 date=1084932195]
In that case, you'll fit in with DanKunz quite well.
99.gif
999.gif
9999.gif
:D
[/quote]

Clearly you don't know me well :flipoff2:

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=16578;start=msg159544#msg159544 date=1084931823]
I am 16 miles west of you and work on Windward.

Lemme know if you need hand, there are several wheeling 80s in Alph so we can help each other out if you need a hand.
[/quote]

Dan, thanks for the offer. I have some small projects in mind that I'll need some help with. Gotta get this suspension fixed right first. Need my DD to ride as smooth and even as it can. :)

[quote author=4fifty link=board=2;threadid=16578;start=msg159525#msg159525 date=1084930514]Who knows if my caster correction bushings are in right?! ???
[/quote]
See if this makes any sense...
There are two bushings in the radius arm. The caster correction bushings are offset.
The front bushing should be offset upwards, and the rear downwards-this rotates the axle "back," and increases caster.

4fifty,
Post some pics and identify them as which side and we'll let you know if they are in right. Bottom line is if it drives nice, it probably is in the right way.

DanKunz - just giving ya crap dude. Hey, it's what I do best. You don't expect me to contribute to the forum from a technical perspective do you? :flipoff2:

Just move here and buy me beer will ya?

You can be the beer :princess: !!

doh! :whoops:

I recommend checking in with your local gay community. They have been able to pull 10% discounts in San Diego. :D I hope Atlanta is as progressive - ::)

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom