GMC Inner CV Joints leaking - Advice Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
My wifes GMC Envoy (2002) is leaking at the front axle inner CV joint. The drivers side is wet on top with grease, but no drips on the floor. It is making a slight squeak. Since it's not lifted its a bitch to get under. Is there a stop gap method? Where would I add more grease and what kind, if you can?

I am guessing I will have to take it somewhere. The place that pointed it out wanted $300.

We only plan on keeping this truck for another year and then trading it in on I hope a Toyota.

Any advice would be appreciated.

When mama ain't happy, NOBODIES happy:eek:

its a cv joint with a boot. you cant really re-grease that. if its new you can get away with replacing the boot, but if its been doing it for awhile you might need to place the axel

can you use a needle fitting for your grease gun and pierce the boot and fire grease in as close to the joints as you can. then seal the hole you made with silicone. stop gap measure but it works for tie rod ends.

Romer said:
My wifes GMC Envoy (2002) is leaking at the front axle inner CV joint. The drivers side is wet on top with grease, but no drips on the floor. It is making a slight squeak. Since it's not lifted its a bitch to get under. Is there a stop gap method? Where would I add more grease and what kind, if you can?

I am guessing I will have to take it somewhere. The place that pointed it out wanted $300.

We only plan on keeping this truck for another year and then trading it in on I hope a Toyota.

Any advice would be appreciated.

When mama ain't happy, NOBODIES happy:eek:

Can you tell if the boot is torn or possibly leaking at the boot to axle clamp (assuming the GM CV assembly is similar to a 100)? The fact that it is already starting to squeek probably doesn't make it a candidate for anything but replacement...assuming you want it to be a dependable fix.

if the boot is torn, the think of all the road grime that could be packed in there. if the boot is torn, spend the extra money and replace the axel and get the core charge, better safe than sorry

If it's a typical CV shaft it's cheaper to replace the whole shaft than to replace the joint. You can cut off the old boot and replace the boot with a split type, but they really don't work too well. If that's what's making the noise, then it's really too late for that anyway.

I'm not sure the diagnoses is correct if I'm reading it right. A torn, split or seperating boot flings poo everywhere. It's rotating, so it spins all the grease out and makes a big mess. It doesn't just leak some grease on top. It's also pretty rare for the inner boot to go since it flexes a LOT less than the outers.

I think you might have something leaking on to the axle.

Gumby said:
I think you might have something leaking on to the axle.

I'll check this out, Thanks Todd!

The boot is not torn or damaged and the grease is loacted at the top around the clamp. It's a little wet with Grease, not a lot. No drips on the garage floor. No splatter anywhere.

So, if the inner CV boot rotates, this would not make sense for it to be just at the top, would it?

Gumby said:
You should animate your avatar. Make him scratch his nuts or somethin'

I would like to make the Cigar wiggle. You know how to do that?

BTW Romer--Who is the old geezer smoking the cigar in your avatar? Is that your dad? He looks familiar...:flipoff2:

My only experience with the cv shaft boots was on a Subaru-once they leak, you may as well plan on replacing the whole half shaft. A 2002 GMC is probably near the end of it's life for that particular part anyway.

Since its not torn and it's not leaking much, anyone know how hard this is to replace?

I've got aa 2000 lx as was just told that mine is leaking. I know I will probably have to replace the cv joint. That is what I am told by my regular mechanic who has worked on every car I own for the last 5 years. He quoted me $650. That is on th contingency that he could only go by what he had in front of him on a Saturday morning. He's gonna contact some other suppliers on Monday morning and get back with me. It just sounds a little steep.

Any advice or comments will help.

P.S. It doesn'tmake any noise, just starting to leak. The vehicle is the kid carrier in the house. So unfortunately no off road use.

Thanks,
Darren

I've got aa 2000 lx as was just told that mine is leaking. I know I will probably have to replace the cv joint. That is what I am told by my regular mechanic who has worked on every car I own for the last 5 years. He quoted me $650. That is on th contingency that he could only go by what he had in front of him on a Saturday morning. He's gonna contact some other suppliers on Monday morning and get back with me. It just sounds a little steep.

Any advice or comments will help.

P.S. It doesn'tmake any noise, just starting to leak. The vehicle is the kid carrier in the house. So unfortunately no off road use.

Thanks,
Darren

Start a new thread in the 100 series section asking this question about "if a leaky CV boot that makes no sound needs to have the CV replaced. My experience is that your CV is fine and all you need to do is tighten up the clamp or install a new clamp. But you need to start a new thread. Good luck

Thanks

Found the other thread. Everyone here has been a great help.

On an Envoy or Trailblazer a leaking CV boot would be rare even above 100,000 miles. What would be VERY typical would be a differential seal leaking where the CV shafts go in to the differential. This is NOT a serious problem if they are just seaping, they will seap and be ok for years and a new set of seals will seap again soon due to bad design. If you have the ability, get under there with some brake clean and blast the area nice and clean, then check and top off your front differential, be sure to use proper spec fluid. If you can get pictures of the area while in there, post them up and I can help further. If not, monitor the front differential level and how dirty it gets again. With that info, we can see if it is livable for another year or demands attention.

Also, there is a distinct difference between the lube in those boots and the 75w140 in the differential both smell and consistency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom