Sold the 60... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fitzgerald

Hey! Where'd the mountians go?!?!?
Threads
Edited 4/28

Okay, currently cleaning up the engine / engine bay.

Ordering some parts.

Reorganized the garage for reconstruction.

Summer coming, getting motivated!

DSC_0159.JPG

Last edited:
A compression test would give you some indication of the health of the engine. You can rent the tool at autozone for "free". The sandy dirt in the intake (past the throttle body?) would concern me. A little bit of grit getting in those areas when the engine runs is probably normal, though.

Was there any oil in there? Drain and feel around for sludge in the pan. Oil is a good sign, dry may not be bad, gritty sludge is a bad sign. In the future, when you get ready to run the engine, you don't want to start it right away. Crank the starter with the ignition off to get oil pressure established before starting the engine.

The TBI engine would be easier to get up an running, and I'm sure you could part out this engine and make your $850 back...definitely more power here and probably a bit better MPG, too.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but i'll throw it out there: you might blow into the spark plug holes with compressed air to remove anything that may have gotten in.

You don't want to hear this but if it were me I wouldn't trust it unless it was hot tanked. You just don't know what may have worked its way down, especially by rodents. You could do multiple oil changes etc., I would always have a nagging doubt in my mind about accelerated wear/damage. Just one guys opinion.

Andrew is right about starting but as an alternative you can get a tool to spin the oil pump without cranking.

What time you get home every day? I can't do Tuesday's, but I could come take a look any other day.

I'm off this week with spring break, but I usually get home about 3:30 during the week (pick up the big one from school @ 3:15).

Thanks!

I was worried about rust in the internals as well, some you may not even see until a tear down.

This is why I pleaded with you to work on the engine first. Glad you did. Might set this tone for the rest of the project. I really think you should Consider selling it. recoup what you can. You're in for a lot of money and time with that one.

This is why I pleaded with you to work on the engine first. Glad you did. Might set this tone for the rest of the project. I really think you should Consider selling it. recoup what you can. You're in for a lot of money and time with that one.

Yeah, have a feeling there's going to be a FJ60 project for sale in our area soon...

4/28... or maybe not. :D

Last edited:
Divergent opinion: The GM 350 is the AK-47 of gasoline engines. Flush the intake and cylinders with some light oil and reassemble.

Edit: oops, I thought this was a TBI 350.

Last edited:
I agree with you tracy. The engine is fine, just needs disassembled and cleaned. At first I was going to suggest compressed air through the plug jokes, then pouring Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders and cranking it to blow it out. The lower end will be fine- if the hood was closed, no water would have gotten to it. The oil filter will pick up any grit in the oil, and the rat turds will degrade. Have to see the extent though.

No guarantees another engine won't be the same. I followed the "buy an engine from a wrecked vehicle, because you know it was running" rule-- turned out engine had two flat lifters and a bad cam bearing. You just don't know. Any used engine with unknown history should be torn down before put into service. Problem now is the price of gasket sets. Expensive for these new engines.

I disagree with a few points Luke. I compression checked my used Mustang engine, granted it is new from the short block up up now, but not a complete tear down. Guarantee that engine has been run harder than most out there. You can check cooling system visually as other things.

Just because the hood is closed doesn't mean moisture hasn't gotten in and corroded things, dust is likely in there as well. Remember, some of the valves are open. I wouldn't be shooting compressed air in there blindly. I would tear it down to short block at a minimum. Don't need a piece of rust scale scaring a cylinder wall. It's what you can't see...

Certainly worth a look though. Travis I can come by but not until Sat. Morning.

I didn't mean to imply the engine is not okay, but it needs extensive cleaning before being put into service.

Ak47's can be damaged as well.

Good info guys, thanks.

Trying to decide if I've got the $$$, patience, time and know how to tackle this project. :hmm:
I've got faith in you Travis! If I can do it, you can too! Just get it apart and have the guys in Falcon hot tank it for you, have em check the heads if you're worried etc.

You're already in a better spot than I am. You'll still have a rig to wheel while you're working on this one!

Hey Travis. That engine ran really well until we took it out of the GMC truck. It was a GMC crate engine with 40K miles on it. The transmission was completely rebuilt before being installed in the 60. I had no idea the plugs and filter were out of the engine. Not sure why that was the case. I feel bad that the engine wasn't up to par like I thought and told you. I'm willing to refund your money if you want to call it quits.

Hey Travis. That engine ran really well until we took it out of the GMC truck. It was a GMC crate engine with 40K miles on it. The transmission was completely rebuilt before being installed in the 60. I had no idea the plugs and filter were out of the engine. Not sure why that was the case. I feel bad that the engine wasn't up to par like I thought and told you. I'm willing to refund your money if you want to call it quits.

AHHH!!! Hey Doug, not my intention at all. Sorry if this thread came off as me bitchin' (not what I meant in the slightest). PLEASE DON'T FEEL BAD, I still feel guilty for the sweet deal you gave me. I got deal of the century on this bad boy and I am very grateful for it. It would have been totally worth the price even if there was no drivetrain at all (or axles, wheels, etc. :)).

I've had a couple people take a look at it in the last few days and they all think she should fire right up when I get the computer/wiring harness set up.

Sorry again if it came off as me complaining. Hopefully someday soon we can take a cruise in the old 60 and have some fun.

:cheers:

No worries Travis I wasn't point the finger back at you. Just didn't want you stuck. Let me know if you need any assistance with getting the rig running again. Its the least I can do and I'd love to see the rig on out on the trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom