1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gear oil on brake drum?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dylan, May 19, 2003.

1. dylan

dylan

i pulled a wheel off the rear axle and theres gear oil all over the brake drum is the axle seal screwed? or what? :dunno:

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

do you mean on the outside of the brake drum? Checked your oil level recently? Could be a pinion seal leaking and throwing oil all over the place when driving. ???

3. ScottFJ40

ScottFJ40

Sounds like a seal to me. Might as well do the bearing too.

4. axlechassis

axlechassis

I would drain the rear axle also to make sure you dont have a bunch of water that is helping push the oil out of the seals. You will have to pull the axle cover anyway to get at the c clip to pull out ther axle to change the seal. Just remember to push the axle in some before trying to remove the clip. (I did'nt do that the first time I pulled a rear axle and spent a frustrating hour before I called someone) Also remember when you put the clip back in pull on the axle some to make the clip seats properly. :beer:

5. dylan

dylan

the oil is on the outside of the drum. i just did the pinion seal and changed the fluid.i guess this gives me a reason to get a locker :D . that cover's going to be a bitch to get off