Drum brake adjustment question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there everyone, I am just wondering how I determine which wheel cylinder adjusts which shoe
Thanks

A416709A-62D2-4623-AF31-5252822B8DAE.png

Last edited:
Both

Mark...

Front axle, the brake cylinders are single acting on this truck.

The star wheels move the shoes closer to the drum.

The side with star wheel/adjuster is fixed so you adjust the pivot end, the opposite end of cyl moves out when you press pedal, since you have it open I would clean/lube the adjusters and check to see if the shoulders on adjuster are all rounded off, may need new ones, they are hard to adjust if not cleaned/lubed, have wheel bolted on with tight lugs before you adjust shoes to drum, set them so they drag a bit more than you think they should, test drive short distance, if they are getting hot ( feel the wheel/drum/axle end ) back off 1 click each, also while your in there have a look at the wear pattern heel to toe on the shoes, sometimes the adjusters get out of sync and 1 shoe is contacting before the other, correct by setting adjusters equal, I cut an accurate template out of cardboard to match inside drum then you can get them real close before putting drum & wheel back on for final adjust.

The side with star wheel/adjuster is fixed so you adjust the pivot end, the opposite end of cyl moves out when you press pedal, since you have it open I would clean/lube the adjusters and check to see if the shoulders on adjuster are all rounded off, may need new ones, they are hard to adjust if not cleaned/lubed, have wheel bolted on with tight lugs before you adjust shoes to drum, set them so they drag a bit more than you think they should, test drive short distance, if they are getting hot ( feel the wheel/drum/axle end ) back off 1 click each, also while your in there have a look at the wear pattern heel to toe on the shoes, sometimes the adjusters get out of sync and 1 shoe is contacting before the other, correct by setting adjusters equal, I cut an accurate template out of cardboard to match inside drum then you can get them real close before putting drum & wheel back on for final adjust.
Thanks that’s a good tip with the cardboard template I have been taking the drum off to adjust them and putting it back on and the wheel every time because the adjusting holes and the back there is no space to see anything and it’s just hard to find the gear.
With the first part of your answer I am aware only one side moves when you push the pedal but adjustment wise is the other fella correct when he says each cylinder adjusts both shoes?
Thanks

1 cyl moves the pivot point for 1 shoe, the other does its shoe, it is a PITA to adjust, however, Cruiserteq & others sell a unique shaped tool for the job. That is why I said while open take the shoe off, take adjuster out, clean/lube, hold spring back and make sure it spins, the springs on the adjuster can be tight and yes it can almost strip the notches and be frustrating. Put shoe back on. the wear pattern will tell you if the adjusters were out of sync. Also there is a slope in the channel of adjuster slot where shoe rides, doesnt hurt to grease that and make sure it is installed correctly, it's obvious. The cardboard thing is just a rough setting for overall dia. when new shoes are put on, if you have been adjusting then your close unless 1 adjuster is way out and the other is not. It should only take a few clicks once wheel on and you are adjusting from backing plate, spin wheel after clicking both adjuster the same amount. Now pay attention - when moving adjusters, if handle ( end not in adjuster slot) of adjuster starts away from axle tube and moves in toward axle tube you are shrinking the dia., if the handle of adjuster tool starts close to axle tube and moves away from axle tube you are expanding the dia. With the adjusters when your are cleaning/lubing them, there is two things to look at, the threads for smooth operation, thats why the slope/engagement of shoe is impoetant, the channel keeps the adjuster center on shoe and from spinning while you turn the notched wheel which moves the center up & down, so the outer part between adjuster and wheel cyl body gets greased and checked for smooth rotation of notched wheel.

Last edited:
1 cyl moves the pivot point for 1 shoe, the other does its shoe, it is a PITA to adjust, however, Cruiserteq & others sell a unique shaped tool for the job. That is why I said while open take the shoe off, take adjuster out, clean/lube, hold spring back and make sure it spins, the springs on the adjuster can be tight and yes it can almost strip the notches and be frustrating. Put shoe back on. the wear pattern will tell you if the adjusters were out of sync. Also there is a slope in the channel of adjuster slot where shoe rides, doesnt hurt to grease that and make sure it is installed correctly, it's obvious. The cardboard thing is just a rough setting for overall dia. when new shoes are put on, if you have been adjusting then your close unless 1 adjuster is way out and the other is not. It should only take a few clicks once wheel on and you are adjusting from backing plate, spin wheel after clicking both adjuster the same amount. Now pay attention - when moving adjusters, if handle ( end not in adjuster slot) of adjuster starts away from axle tube and moves in toward axle tube you are shrinking the dia., if the handle of adjuster tool starts close to axle tube and moves away from axle tube you are expanding the dia. With the adjusters when your are cleaning/lubing them, there is two things to look at, the threads for smooth operation, thats why the slope/engagement of shoe is impoetant, the channel keeps the adjuster center on shoe and from spinning while you turn the notched wheel which moves the center up & down, so the outer part between adjuster and wheel cyl body gets greased and checked for smooth rotation of notched wheel.
That’s very informative thanks

... is the other fella correct when he says each cylinder adjusts both shoes?
Thanks
There are very few that know more about land cruisers than that "other fella"...

"but adjustment wise is the other fella correct when he says each cylinder adjusts both shoes?"

What do you think? For the FRONT brakes (7109 - 7509) there is one adjuster on each cylinder, and it adjusts one shoe. So, how many shoes does one adjuster adjust?

Each cylinder adjusts one shoe, and actuates the other. If you consider actuating and adjusting to be the same thing, then yes, each cylinder adjusts both shoes. Really?

1704590269182.png

CityracerLLC sells the the ajuster tool
IMG_0262.jpeg

I "had" a trick short handled screw driver (wide flat blade) that was the best adjuster ever. That Cityracer tool works fine much better than the 4 or 5 other units I have.

Sometimes the cylinder's get labeled wrong and then the adjusters work backwards. I try and have mine set out with equal # of clicks on both units at each wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom