Gas tank plug...leaking.....bad...:( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, i'm working on the interior of my 76 FJ40, and remobe the thank, cleane it, paint it....while doing this i have the 'bright' idea of removing the bottom plug to 'remove' all gas in tank, now i have my tank all nice and painted.....but leaking bad....i find out is the plug, already removed, clean it well, the bolt plug have a plastic washer, everything looks fine, but it keeps leaking....been searching for a new plug....so far no look....anyone had this kind of problem? any tips or ideas?

Thanks in advance....

Quit looking for a new plug. Find your self a new washer either a plastic rubber or brass washer will do as long as your plug still has good threads on it and the tank is not rusted out around the hole.

you should be able to get a washer from any parts house. like the one that goes on an oil pan,tc or tranny.

Quit looking for a new plug. Find your self a new washer either a plastic rubber or brass washer will do as long as your plug still has good threads on it and the tank is not rusted out around the hole.

you should be able to get a washer from any parts house. like the one that goes on an oil pan,tc or tranny.

OK, i'll try that the threads look very nice and no rust at all....it does have a 2 funny looking holes on the thead (well may be they aren't so funny afterall), that i can figure out why are there...hope this works anyway.
Thanks.

rest of tank in good shape? I had to replace my old tank. Seemed fine when I pulled it out to paint interior, and showed signs of slow leak around plug. I decided to wirewheel the tank to paint and in doing so came across a very thin spot in the sheet metal that had rusted from the inside and this was actually where the leak was. Good hardware stores should have a new washer for you as should an auto parts store

The washer is available at the dealer. It's made of some kind of rubber vs. copper/brass.

rest of tank in good shape? I had to replace my old tank. Seemed fine when I pulled it out to paint interior, and showed signs of slow leak around plug. I decided to wirewheel the tank to paint and in doing so came across a very thin spot in the sheet metal that had rusted from the inside and this was actually where the leak was. Good hardware stores should have a new washer for you as should an auto parts store

Knock on wood.....tank seams to be in good shape, thread looks good no rust....it had some rust in the bottom of the tank but doesn't looks that bad....i guess i'll try a new washer...already try sanding the old one with no luck :(.....otherwise i may be serching for a new tank to fit under the frame at the rear....

make your self a leather washer, find some old leather, and put a hole in it works great :D but if u can find a new washer go that direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom