Fuel leak under 1982 fj-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Fuel under cruiser; line goes into rubber grommet on passengers side into rib of tub.. Fuel pouring out from inside tub rib.... Where does it go? Before I take it apart. Thanks, Mike

I think it comes from the vapor separator and vents to the atmosphere inside that rib.

If so, maybe a problem with fuel backing up into the separator; there is a plastic valve attached to the unit; might want to check it.

Thanks, Plastic valve is where exactly ? On the passengers side of the tank ? Mike

Plastic valve is white, about 1-1/2 inch size. Sits behind a body-color metal coverplate on the passenger side B pillar behind the door.

Valve is inset into one of the tubes of the separator and should have a hose exiting it, and travelling down under the truck and into that body crossrib under the truck. You'll see it once you remove the coverplate. While you're looking at the black plastic separator, might take a look for broken nipples and cracked hoses.

If lots of fuel is pouring out of the hose, may be a problem with the fuel system, as the separator is only supposed to separate out the vapor for venting and return the liquid fuel component back into the tank. Could be a pressure problem in the system. Sometimes the incorrect gas cap can cause issues.

Hopefully an expert will read this post and chime in.

Fuel pours out on start up ,then goes away, but it's a lot of fuel. Thanks, Mike

cracked fuel pump return line? I've had that issue before

Hi, New fuel pump. Leak is in rib of body. Mike

the fuel pump return line goes back from the fuel pump to the tank.
one line feeds the fuel pump then a line goes to the carby, the third line returns excess fuel to the fuel tank..underneath the body are steel fuel lines with rubber bends with spring clips to keep them attached...buy a metre of rubber fuel line of the right size, crawl underneath and change them all out at once... takes about 20 minutes and then see if you have any leaks....k?

Hi, Dam fuel leaks in the rib only at start up , but really leaks ! Opened up access behind back passengers seat ,all looks good. Took off protective plate underneath cruiser by back passengers tire what a rusty mess . Two steel lines about 7 mm go nowhere. Large intake steel line looks ready to go. Rubber connectors are fine . Do you guys have two small steel lines behind this cover plate that are open to the air ? Mike

can you post some pics so we can all see what you are talking about with this rib thing?

Hi, What a mess, anyone got a fuel separator and white valve, fuel intake tube and may need a gas tank. Too many years running around in mud. Thanks, Mike

Specter has some used vapor separators and new check valves.

There are variations for different year trucks.

Did you recently replace some component, has anyone worked on your truck lately? Could it be something in the emissions operations to cause intermittent fuel dumping? I assume you have a truck delivered to the US market, so lots of spaghetti hoses with check valves running everywhere.

Have you back-tracked to find the source of the fuel spill?

And photos do help with the diagnosis.

the line from your vapor seperator runs to the charcoal canister FIRST. from there it goes to your OVCV and also to mess of other emissions gear. the hose/tube that disappears into the tub rail comes from the bottom of the charcoal canister is is simply a vent. but what is happening is a ton of fuel is flowing through the vapor separator and filling up your charc can. maybe your return line is blocked and the pressure is being relieved through the vapor lines and out to the charc canister.

its referred to as the EVAP system. google image search that and find a diagram for your year

attachment.php

Finally looking at this again plastic valve behind passengers seat is missing . Also may need a fuel tank and hoses in the rear. Tried placing a plug in where the plastic valve would be but then the 40 would not idle. Gas pouring out of metal pipe going into frame , prob . return line is blocked . Desmogged years ago no charcoal canister .Mike

Last edited:
Hi, Where does the return line off of the carb which goes to the firewall and ends up on the passengers side of the cruiser go? Since this was Desmoged when we got it years ago I think something is missing. Thanks, Mike

i think to a rubber hose and then to the hard return line that runs along the frame to the tank. **i think** mine was hacked when i got mine too.

Frankly don't know by looking at it how it's worked well for years and now that its pouring gas it's no surprise. Well it just gets better the carb. pump plunger boot broke and pumped out gas all over the headers, decided to shut it off before the 40 went up in flames ! Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom