front door adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've begun the process of installing the hardtop and front doors on my '78 FJ. They have been off for several years.. The top of the driver's side door is rubbing against the bracket that attaches to the windshield frame (see photo). I've loosened the hinges and tried moving the door up, down, backward, and forward, but I have not been able to move the top of the door far enough away from the bracket so that it doesn't make contact when I close the door. Before I elongate the holes in the hinges, I thought I'd check here to see if there are other ways to adjust the front doors. Thanks in advance.

(Note: The bolt in the photo is not a permanent one. I have the original one that goes in the opposite way and has a different head.)
door 1.jpg

What I can see could be two issues.

First, I don’t recall a gasket/installation on that bracket going to the windshield frame.

Second, and may be the photo, it looks like the gap between the door and windshield frame is smaller at the top and gets wider going to the bottom. If that is true, perhaps the windshield frame has been tightened too much resulting in too great of an angle rearward. Are the short barrel spacers on the screw knobs that tighten the windshield???

Jerry D.

I agree the gasket doesn't belong there. If it was removed would the door not rub?

(Note: The bolt in the photo is not a permanent one. I have the original one that goes in the opposite way and has a different head.)

It should be a counter-sunk machine screw that will not take away from the clearance at all.

I think the bushing or gasket has to go. The adjustment in the hinges should be able to adjust that clearance by 1/2" or more easily. If it doesn't work for you you're doing something wrong. Pull the striker off the tub while you're adjusting the door, then put it on and adjust it after the door is where you want it. It will adjust by 1/2" or so too.

My money also is on the doors being adjusted too far forward. Try loosening the hinge bolts and moving the door towards the rear slightly to the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom