FJC rear axle swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done a rear axle upgrade? I don't know that I need to do one. Planning on going up 35s here soon. Better to upgrade it now than snap it on the trail.

Has anyone done a rear axle upgrade? I don't know that I need to do one. Planning on going up 35s here soon. Better to upgrade it now than snap it on the trail.

You'll want to re-gear the diffs at the very least to maintain highway manners and cruise control functionality. You can do that easy enough with third members from East Coast Gear Supply. If you're talking about replacing the entire rear axle with something better, then you're looking at the Currie RockJock or F9. I thought about buying a RockJock way back when I blew up my stock rear diff at Moab, but the cost deterred me at the time. I ended up re-gearing instead and that has served me well enough over the years.

The cruiser axle is not strong enough for 35s? My 96 Tacoma held up really good with 36s irons and I beat it, I would think Toyota would keep it up or better.
I would be more worried about anything on the front ifs.

1911 is correct. Just upgrade the ring and pinion to 4.56 or 4.88 depending on ultimate tire size. I've been running 4.56 gears and 315/75/16 tires for many years now. No issues other than some slight rubbing on the front and any rubbing on the rear can be cured with extended bump stops.

I have 4.88 and I think I am on my 4th or 5th pinion bearing. Finally got tired of it and am about to swap in a later 8.2 complete rear set up from Just Differentials. Chro Mo axles and ARB locker.

That's about as far as I would take too, put in a newer 8.2 housing with the right gears and call it done. I like my A-trac for the wheeling I do and it works for me better than the locker. I never did the Atrac/RR locker hack, though I'm considering it.

IIRC, 2010 was the introduction of the slightly larger 8.2" ring geared axle. I don't think the front diff changed in size, but they didn't have a habit of breaking either. I'm assuming the brake calipers, e-locker actuator and wheel sensors didn't change across the entire FJC production run.

A lot of folks regear and call it good with 35s. That seems to hold up pretty good for most.

I went a little further with a currie axle and ford 9" with a 4.56 and ARB locker... but I now own the problem of maintenance and carrying a small shops worth of tools if I'm going out on the trails (just in case) Once you start modifying the drive train you do take on a lot of responsibility that you don't have if you keep it mostly stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom