FJ55 Birfield axle upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered and installed a Trail Gear Longfield axle kit for my 1978 FJ55. Shop I ordered from said it would fit the FJ55. It didn't. The outer axle stub is about a half inch shorter than the stock. I have Asco stock hubs. Before I pull the new axles and return them, does anyone know if a replacement hub might solve the problem or any other potential solutions? Or do I just put the stock axles back in, buy some used Birfs, when I find them, use them as spares and hope for the best? I'm running 33's with power steerring.
Thanks.

IMG_20160503_131031.jpg

New longfield.jpg

stock birfield.jpg

You have the longer style birfields. These were 1977 and 1978 models. The new birfields "fit", but your hubs are for the longer birfields. The easiest solution is to bolt a fender washer to the end of your birfield. If it really bothers you, you can buy the newer style/shorter Aisin hubs.

:cheers:

the long body hubs are going for a premium currently, aprox. $400 for a pair

keep the longs and get a pair of short hubs, any solid axle aisin hub after 1979 up to 1990, from any solid axle mini truck, 40 series, 60 or 62 series. should be able to get a pair of them for $100-150.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Winthropfj55 if you need help give me a shout, I'm in north Seattle.

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom