FJ40 Tailgate vs Swing Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iirc city racers tailgate weatherstrip.
it sorta works...more to do with putting a tailgate on one that wasn't really supposed to have one.

Yeah yours looks pretty similar to mine. On early 40s the tailgate Is bigger than the rear opening, Mine is flush like yours. Been trying to figure out what to use. Something with a profile more like the front doors might work.
9F072235-EEFA-4AD6-9EAC-7DB10E591A8D.jpeg

I bumped my head on my '73 hatch, back in the day. 3-inch lift, 33s, swing-outs. Otherwise, I like the hatch.

@cruiserkev Where did you source the left latch, which also is a '75 spare tire carrier latch?

@Dizzy that's the work of @spotcruiser I was using Todd's excellent fab skills as an example of the ideal tailgate made from barn doors. I believe he modified the latch from what is currently available. Mines unfortunately just a half inch chunk of aluminum diamond plate with homemade hinges. Someday I'll get around to building something like the picture. 👍

Thanks Kev, for the nice comments. Actually, those latches in the photo were both new. I bought them planning to build the tailgate. They were both available at the time, but since then the left latch is no longer available. A couple of years ago, I was able to convert an old right latch (still available) to a left latch by cutting the handle portion from the mounting portion as shown by the red line and turning the handle portion 180 degrees. Sorry, the photos are not very good, but these are the only photos I still have after a hard drive failure.

IMG_2516_LI.jpg

IMG_2517_LI.jpg

I know, dragging up an old thread, however, does anyone know where to get the body mount gaskets for a drop tailgate>

I know, dragging up an old thread, however, does anyone know where to get the body mount gaskets for a drop tailgate>

Make your own. Get some rubber sheet from McMaster Carr and cut gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom