Builds FJ 40 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Things are picking up...

Since my last post I took a few days off work and worked on my cruiser. True is that is really all that feel like doing these days.

My wife is being pretty patient and letting go of the money but, I am runnning out of diposable cash this month... So it will probably be September before I really get my drive line done. I had hoped it would be by the end of August but, I am adopting a child and I have a couple of big bills to pay there this coming month.

Last weekend I decided that while my diffs were at the sandblaster I would go ahead and dismantel and clean up/rebuild the transfer case.

The case was dirty but, it did not really have anything wrong with it.

What I did find was a bad seal in the parling brake. ... Well at least that what I think it is.

tcaseb4.jpg

Really clean inside...
tcaseinsides.jpg

pbrake.jpg

I did some asking around here and decided to have the seal onthe parking brake fixed modified to work much better. I had thought that I was going to need and expensive conversion or fix but, it turns out that thet stock parking brake can be rebuild and done nicely for a fraction of the cost of a disk conversion.

As of tonight I have every bit of the drive line in parts... rear diff. front diff... engine and trans. By tomorrow I will have the rear diff in.. I will post pics of that as soon as I get done. as for now the dismantled tcase is all I can report.

Next Segment

As of right now I am about done with my rear diff. The transfer case pieces are all out to the cleaners and I guess I will be get to that next.

To posts ago I send my rear and front diff to the sandblaster.

offtoblast.JPG
My sandblaster is a pain in the a$$. They never meet a deadline.

Anyway I did get the them back and after having to pay double I got them painted.

realreardiff.JPG

With rear paint. I removed the third member. It was pretty easy. I just took out this bolt to remove the axles and then the third member was ready to be removed.

removethisbolttoremoveaxles.JPG

I took off all the backing plate stuff and brakes so that I could replace the brakes with a rear disk conversion from jtoutfitters.

Just before that I did replace the tube seals.
newaxleseals.JPG

Then I put the axle back in and put the mounting plate on for the new calipers
breakkitspecialparts.JPG

The only part to note about them is the special little half moon washers.

They space the plate away just enoug for it to fit right against a lip on the plate.

Next I just bolted on the bracket. It would have been easier if I would have left the axle out until I was done.
boltonbracket.JPG

Then you just stick on the rotor and the caliper.
installedcaliper.JPG

Get the parts on the right side was confusing but, not hard.. I had to think.

otherinstallcaliper.JPG

Then I was done.

done.JPG

At least I thought.

I then went to remove the pinion and replace the seal...

There I had to work a reset the Preload on the pinions because the pinion nut had gotten loose.

Last night I added the shocks, removed the extra leaf spring, and ubolts...

I wanted it all to look go so it took a long time.

I will post a new pic when I get home tonight.

Thanks All for the help.

I just installed the rear disk brake conversion. I'm failry satisifed with the fit and finish, but unfortunatly I stripped out he caliper hose insert bolt hole. It had to do more with the part than my actual mechanical skills. Now I have to helicoil a the calipers to fix the mucken problem. No biggie, just sets me back a little....

Nonetheless, I think you might have installed your calipers upside down. I think the brake line needs to feed from the bottom and not the top. I might me mistaken, but if you look at BTB web site they too have the feeder line coming from the bottom.

Best,

UNO.

Rear done pics...

Here are the rearend final pics and one easy question....

reardone1.jpg

reardone2.jpg

Can somebody remind me what this nub is for... I think it is brakes or something....
reardone3.jpg

reardone4.jpg

reardone5.jpg

I read on this thread that my calipers are upside down. I like them that way and don't think it matters. That is the way that they are on my GM trucks.. I don't really know that they are upside down for sure anyway. It seems that they are configured fine and could be configured different ways. I do appreciate the feedback however.

Jack

Last edited:
Another axle breather?

:beer:

“ Upside down” is relative to the bleeder. With the bleeder valve on the bottom, it will be difficult if not impossible to purge the caliper of all the air in the system if bleeding is done with the caliper mounted in that position.

Just bleed the brake system before you do final installation of the calipers. Just make a spacer to put between the brake pads to keep the piston from moving outward.

Looking really nice bud!

:beer: :beer:

The resto. is coming together NICE. Keep up the work and the pics.

very cool work and awesome pictures and descriptions, I can't wait to see how it turns out!! kepp the posts coming

Gas Tank...

While I am in the middle of my knuckle and front end rebuild I had the luck to find a long range gas tank from a great fellow in Alaska.

Alaska40 aka Dustin. Dustin sold me a sweet tank that he had for basically a hundred bucks. Saving me hundreds. Little did I know it would be so nice.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

Dustin was an awesome help ... Getting a hundred pound tank shipped is not really easy or cheap but, Dustin did the leg work and made it happen. From Alaska to NC it took 3 weeks. I got the tank on Thursday and since I am waiting on a couple of frontend tools I decided to get this put in.

If you ever have a chance to deal with Dustin... you will be happy.

First I dry fitted everything and made sure it fit.

dryfitoftankplate.jpg

The skid plate went in fine. and the hangers tat came with it were perfect also. I really just cleaned up everything and painted everything

In this case I did use undercoating. It looked ok but, I really just wanted to cover the surfaces to a point where I did not have to worry about them rusting anytime soon. The tank came with POR on it so I am never going to worry about that.

tankhangers.jpg

tankskidin1.jpg

tankskidin2.jpg

tankskidin3.jpg

I used to 1/2 inch grade eight bolts to hold the tail section of the tank skid plate in.

tankdone1.jpg

tankdone2.jpg

tankdone3.jpg

As soon as I get the tools in for my knuckles I will post the final installment of the front end build. I am looking forward to that being over.

Again big thanks to all and feed back is always welcome.

Love and Peace

Jack

Dang Jackbrad, how were you able to purchase the "A-Team's" Van and engine;) ?

Looks really quality to me, keep the pics coming!

Ed

Degnol said:
Dang Jackbrad, how were you able to purchase the "A-Team's" Van and engine;) ?

Looks really quality to me, keep the pics coming!

Ed

We own a Heating and Air Business and we have a crap load of crappy vans... It was good for mockup and I plan to strip the good stuff off of it... I plan to go crate 350 from GM or Napa :)

I want a gas tank like yours. Do you know where I can get one?

UNO_RACING said:
I want a gas tank like yours. Do you know where I can get one?

eBay, SOR, Con Fer (if you can still get it )

I have watched a few used ones on eBay and had no luck

jackbrad said:
We own a Heating and Air Business

You too... June and July was crazy for me.

Way to go!

I can appreciate the details of your work, along with explanations as to why and what you are doing. Especially about the disc conversion on the rear. As I plan to do the same, it gives me the motivation to actually do it.

Keep up the excellent work, very inspiring.

This is looking good. Way too clean for me, but still nice none the less. I cant wait to see it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom