Fill hole levels of PTO & split-case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I understand that the PTO and the transfer case share the same gear oil. However on my setup, there are 2 fill holes: the late-model PTO has a fill hole that is higher than the split-case fill hole. Thus, as I fill up on the PTO side the oil oozes out of the transfer case side as expected. Definitively, which level is the correct one to use?

Last edited:
To answer my own question :confused:, one would fill the spit-case side first, then fill the PTO side until oil started oozing out of the split-case side. This would ensure that both cases are filled to the lower level.

I wouldn't get too hung up about which level mate there's nothing stopping splash transfer between the transfer case and pto so so-long as you make sure they are both filled they will find their own levels :)

They are two different gear oil cases - the PTO is separate from the Transfer Case - look at the FSM. The PTO case requires 0.5 litre of GL5, which is lower level than than the fill hole. So you measure 0.5 litre first and pour it in. There is no intended transfer of oil between the two, but they are connected.

Also you got a worm gear case up front that needs 0.3 litre of GL4 oil such as MT90. To properly take care of your truck you need the FSM. I can sent it you if you PM your E-mail.

Last edited:
They are two different gear oil cases - the PTO is separate from the Transfer Case - look at the FSM. The PTO case requires 0.5 litre of GL5, which is lower level than than the fill hole. So you measure 0.5 litre first and pour it in. There is no intended transfer of oil between the two, but they are connected.

Also you got a worm gear case up front that needs 0.3 litre of GL4 oil such as MT90. To properly take care of your truck you need the FSM. I can sent it you if you PM your E-mail.

Believe the manual may say they aretwo seperate oil cases but with the large opening between two and moving gears. If it a two direction PTO it will the gear meshed and mixing oil. Also unless your on level ground oil will flow from the higher case to the lower one.:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom