Failed Emissions test.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't look like I can test the fuel pressure regulator without a toyota scanner.
Anyone ideas? Other methods?

The clogged return line testing is pretty straight forward. I can figure this one out but any tips / tricks are welcome.

ECT sensor, can be bench (kitchen) tested. PITA. Have to drain a lot of coolant and remove the sensor. Hopefully I don't have to do this.

I'm trying to figure out which one of these components are most likely to be bad, functioning poorly or failing without causing a check engine light.

Does the Throttle Position Sensor really affect shifting?

I need a beer...

Bumping with a little update...
I went to see the guys at Irbis Off Road and we figured out that my ECT has failed. It's telling the computer temps that are lower than actual, which would contribute to a rich condition. I'm putting in a new one today.
Also, we discovered that I have a lazy O2 sensor, it's stalling on rich longer than it should. It finally briefly kicked my CEL for about 20 minutes, just long enough to pull the code then it just went away.
New O2's have been ordered.
Slava at Irbis said the rig was running really good so hopefully O2's and ECT are the limits of my issues. Time will tell.
:clap:

How did he figure out the engine coolant temp sender is sending false signals, same with the O2 sensor? IDK.

He has a snap on scanner that plugs into the diag port. I'm not sure what model it is but it didn't look cheap. I think I found it on the web. Snap on MT2500.
Just looked on ebay. As low as $275 used. Hmmmm......

Last edited:
Passed e testing today!
HC 1.04
CO 12.19
NOx 3.77

The ECT was causing a rich condition along with a lazy O2 and a filthy O2. Replaced all 3, changed the oil just before the test, had 91 in the tank along with BG44 or whatever it's called.
I'm happy. Now I can move on the the rest of the to do list. Front axle, paint, tires, etc, etc,...

What did the test from Irbis cost?

I need to get my first Denver Area smog check and sure I will fail as I have an O2 that failed a year and a half ago.

The part about the $715 cost limit with no visible smoke has me concerned. Not sure if startup smoke is what they are looking for.

Was told and old trick to retard the timing. It is supposed to reduce emissions. Not sure if it works on a electronic controlled motor. Guys did it on carb vehicles.

What did the test from Irbis cost?

I need to get my first Denver Area smog check and sure I will fail as I have an O2 that failed a year and a half ago.

The part about the $715 cost limit with no visible smoke has me concerned. Not sure if startup smoke is what they are looking for.

Was told and old trick to retard the timing. It is supposed to reduce emissions. Not sure if it works on a electronic controlled motor. Guys did it on carb vehicles.

I honestly don't mind aircare that much because that want the same thing I want. My vehicle running well.
Slava and Oleg are awesome. Call them up. Irbis

Slava spent a lot of time with me under my hood in their shop. Plan on $70 or $80 and an hour or 2 for them to plug in and check it out.

No, start up smoke is not what they're looking for. Plan on shelling out some $ to Onur to O2's since we know yours are garbage.

Feel free to leave your cruiser with the keys and title in my driveway. I'm starting a FZJ rehab center and I'm open to donations. And FJ's are welcome too, I guess.

Congrats on finally passing. Time to move on to bigger and messier things.

Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom