Escargots? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am beginning to have my doubts after finding one or two dead ones during cleaning (and the funky smell in the shop).
Looks like this is all normal though after finding this;

Still, not as appealing as when the idea first took off..

How long do you have to wait until they are ready?
Seems like you are into this about a week.

I find it interesting they're only eaten when floating in butter/garlic. Without that, they'd probably be disgusting to consume. Waiting for the end result! :popcorn:

It is like anything else that can get a little funky. You are already committed, the panties are off.
Give it a shot of FDS and keep going. Power through it and be all you can be.
You too can be a HERO.

:lol: I am going in today....

Guess this is where the term "Boil the snot out of it" came from.:hmm:

002.JPG

After a 5 minute boil they were rinsed till cool enough to pluck from their shells (just a toothpick is handy for this).

004.JPG

005.JPG

1 stick of butter, 1 whole head of garlic finely minced, 1 bunch of green onions chopped, half a bunch of Italian parsley chopped, pinch of Kosher salt and 1 cup of white wine.....
Simmer till ready (to be determined).
No kitchen funk at all, quite the opposite.

006.JPG

Well the broth was ok...
Snails didn't 'Parle Francais' Maybe it's time to pass this on to someone else to fine tune.

And I am sure you all have seen the adage "Do not attempt this at home"...

Trust me it applies here, I am trying to drown the taste in beer, but it keeps rearing it's ugly head by belching. I am probably messed up from eating another Escargot again.

Off to shrimp tacos (daughter's birthday wish), hope they purge the snail funk.

Much better..
007.JPG

oh damn! Kudos for the effort, but that foamy broth looks DISGUSTING! :eek:

If you want to impress guests, go for it. The smell in the house while simmering is one of the best. Just work up a game plan and distraction to have it disappear (Dog ate it) before the bread is sliced.:lol:

You didn't use the whole snail, correct? You have to cut off the foot and use just that... just to clarify, but that would explain the bad taste.

You didn't use the whole snail, correct? You have to cut off the foot and use just that... just to clarify, but that would explain the bad taste.

You probably nailed it, most were cooked whole.

You probably nailed it, most were cooked whole.
OOps, yes, that would explain it. Once you take them out of the shell, just use the foot for further cooking. You can easily see what is good and what is bad and just pull the bad part away.

OOps, yes, that would explain it. Once you take them out of the shell, just use the foot for further cooking. You can easily see what is good and what is bad and just pull the bad part away.
Then why bother with purging them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom