Escargots? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
Anyone had the balls to try from scratch? I harvested a ****pile today to go into the usual Justin boot paste and thought :hmm:

How to Make Escargot From Your Own Garden Snails

Escargot.jpg

Oh man...that does take balls! Drunk on a cruise ship is the only way I'll take em! ;) Curious how they turn out though...

Done 100's back in the day. They would arrived sealed and alive, in to boiling water to melt the seal then they would exist the shell, scoop em out quick, continue to boil the shells, rinse the shells, pack the shell with a little garlic butter and some green stuff (cant remember what the green stuff was) shove the little guy back in, seal it with some garlic butter mix, and in to the oven. After doing the prep on a bunch I would cook up a plate and seat down with some toast.

Justin is a brand of boots, the Paste is the goo left over from stepping on and squishing these garden pests.
Albeit tasty garden pests when done the right way, with bread and wine.

^^^^

They are currently on a cornmeal diet to flush out their systems.

Last I had heard, there is only one company in the US producing snails. Two little old ladies in Nor. Cal. and they are giving the French stuff in cans a real run for their money. Add to the fact that their stuff is fresh. They feed them left over salad stuff, donated lettuce, etc. and finish them on corn meal to flush their intestinal systems. The snails are raised in big open toped wooden boxes, with the top rails lined with copper tape.

I am going with plastic just for the ease of cleaning every other day. Started out with the plastic lid and nixed that idea because things were looking to get funky within 24 hours. Seems the screen now provides enough O2 now to keep them happy and now pooping corn starch.
Websites recommend cleansing their intestinal tracks from anywhere from 7 to 14 days. If I can keep them all alive and healthy by this next weekend..Might have to go forward.:hmm:

snails.jpg

I was gonna say "way too much work". Then I figured that I'll buy pork, let it sit in rub for 2-3 days then spend 8-12 hours babysitting it on the cooker. Snails can't take longer to cook than what, 3 minutes? A little time spent, ugh...flushing their intestinal tract..., can't be too bad. Perhaps.

Oh, the 4-5" slugs are out in force tonight at the house. Want me to send you some? No shells!

I was gonna say "way too much work". Then I figured that I'll buy pork, let it sit in rub for 2-3 days then spend 8-12 hours babysitting it on the cooker. Snails can't take longer to cook than what, 3 minutes? A little time spent, ugh...flushing their intestinal tract..., can't be too bad. Perhaps.

Oh, the 4-5" slugs are out in force tonight at the house. Want me to send you some? No shells!
Why not?

I wish it took only 3 minutes to clean my intestinal tract. Oh yea, just drink milk, well maybe 12 minutes, and a bowl brush.

Be easier for me to send you some cornmeal.;)

Save a snail or two. They work great for salt water fishing where there are salt water snails, barnacles and such. When I lived in the NL I just bought pre packaged in the Spar market.

I was gonna say "way too much work". A little time spent, ugh...flushing their intestinal tract..., can't be too bad. Perhaps.

I have to omit it is not like looking at the usual stuff in the garden that is getting ripe for picking, quite the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom