Engine swap 22R to a V6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current truck info-- 85' 4x4 regular cab, long bed. 5 spd trans. 22r motor. rest of the truck is all stock except with a 3" lift spring kit and 31" tires. wanting to swap out the 22r motor and 5spd transmission for a toyota v6 and automatic transmission. have read some of the forums and everyone is in agreeance that the 3.0 v6 is pretty much junk. this is a good start. what v6 motors and automatic transmissions and years are pretty much a drop in with minor mods such as motor mounts, exaust, wiring, you know the basic have to things. will the current transfer case location and driveshaft work? Hope this is enough info to help.

No such thing as "minor mods" when doing an engine swap.

Put in a 3.4, A340F, Marlin adapter, 4-cyl tcase in.

go buy a v6/auto truck and you will save yourself $$$ and time.

Your transfer case wont work so you will need the auto one.ECU,radiator,shroud, and all kinds a little stuff. You would be a lot better off with a donor truck sitting in front of you. For sure you don't want a 3.0slow! That motor has way more issues than you want to swap in, from what i've read anyhow. The real question is why ditch what you have? The 22r with the right carb and cam, with a good header will make a torqey little motor. Gear it right and you can pull stumps!
Jim

I have a half-cut with a 4 cyl turbo diesel waiting for a someone to stuff it in...complete with auto tranny and transfercase...

bk

I have a half-cut with a 4 cyl turbo diesel waiting for a someone to stuff it in...complete with auto tranny and transfercase...

bk

How much?
How many miles?

I am just finishing a 7MGE swap.

toooooo much time.

engine swaps take forever and a day, this is my last one. The rest of my builds will start with the engine I want.

my 2 cents

I am waiting to hear the 7M stories. Wait till you put it on the trail, it will all be worth it.

Mounting the engine and getting it in isn't the hard part. what takes all the time is the double checking everything and still saying to yourself," Am I sure this is the right thing to cut?"

There is a kit for the 3.4L V6 and the auto tranny on those are kikin. Take a look, those 3.4L's are balzy.

This bloke in Moree, Australia, develops kits to do a 22R -> Holden Commodore 3.8L V6 conversion for a Bundera (RJ70 cruiser). Might be a bit hard to come by a Commodore V6 in the states, and it might not work the same given you don't have a Bundera... http://www.v6conversions.com.au/toybun.htm

Edit: This bloke does V6 conversions for a lot of other vehicles as well, including Hilux/4Runner: http://www.v6conversions.com.au/toyota.htm

Holden is a GM product, you can find the V6s here in small GM pickups and cars.

heres what I would do...build the 22r for a little more power then propane it!

I have a hybrid 20r/22r 85 pickup and its fun but drinks gas, next year she'll have propane.

dont brother with ANY V6!!! they suck to work on unless youre planning on NO a/c or p/s

im putting a different 3.0 into my 90 runner right now, and its awful and thats just a direct swap...being -18 outside dosent help. When this motor pukes Im looking into a turbo 7m you can pick up running turbo supras for $800-1500

if you want a real swap thats not going to be an ass-pain in the future....7MGE all the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom