Engine Oil Usage....Normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1997 Lexus LX450 with 113,000 miles and have owned the vehicle since 60,000 miles. It has always used about 3/4 quart of oil about every three months. Is this normal for this vehicle? Lately, it seems to be using a little more.

If using this quantity of oil is not normal, what kind of problems am I looking at? :eek:

Thanks,

Ed

I know on some rigs it is normal....just not sure about this one. By the way, I'm not seeing leakage when it is parked so I'm guessing the engine is using it. I also own a rover so I know what oil leaks on the pavement look like. :D

expectthebest said:
It has always used about 3/4 quart of oil about every three months. Is this normal for this vehicle?

If you only drive 5 miles a month then this is excessive. If I remember correctly, Toyota uses 1 qt per 1,000 miles as the point at which the oil consumption is considered "abnormal." (or is that Abby Normal?)

-B-

Normal, assuming you drive at least 500 - 1,000 miles per month.

Beowulf said:
If you only drive 5 miles a month then this is excessive. If I remember correctly, Toyota uses 1 qt per 1,000 miles as the point at which the oil consumption is considered "abnormal." (or is that Abby Normal?)

-B-

Wow, 1 qt / 1000 miles. :eek:

B- "Abby Normal"? I'm trying here but must be too young or too dumb. :D

The Wulf is correct.

Toyota considers less than 1 qt per thousand miles within normal range.

MoJ said:
B- "Abby Normal"? I'm trying here but must be too young or too dumb.

maybe this clip from Young Frankenstein will explain.

So, are you too young or too dumb? :D

-B-

1 qt / 1000 miles??? :confused:
sounds excessive to me, might as well buy an english car... :D
never seen anything like that. Methinks that's just Toy's lawyers covering their corporate butts....

Beowulf said:

-B-

Oh, then I guess it's neither. Just a better taste in movies. ;p

Mine uses almost a quart in 1,000 miles of around town driving on most all oil I have tried in both 30 weight and 40. Now after trying many different types of oil (both synthetic and Dino) truck & SUV mobil 1 seems to do the best for me. Even consumes a little less than Rotella Synthetic. I will get about 1,500 miles and have to add a quart. I have no smoke and no leaks it just seems to evaporate!!! I even replaced the PCV valve a few times.

I don't like it but not much I am going to do to fix it.

Andrew

Beowulf said:

-B-

B - he's to young and dumb. Great movie, only topped by Blazing Saddles!

I tend to burn through a quart every 3000 to 4,000 miles. Always has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom