Electric 4x4 pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep the actual truck, loose all the "Patagonia" hipster marketing fluff they have saddled it with and it would be very interesting. And probably a lot cheaper and a LOT more at home on the trail. I would love to have a long range electric vehicle for serious back country use. We could use ever inch of the 400 mile range! Probably have to build it ourselves if we want a true off road electric rig.

I have seen a couple of electric trucks marketed as being designed for "off road". I always wonder how much thought they have given to waterproofing...

Mark...

interesting but I wonder how the range would be affected by putting on at or mt tires, im sure that the range would drop a bit. and could you charge this offa generator to increase the range, if your stopping for the night run the generator for a few hours and top up the battery

interesting but I wonder how the range would be affected by putting on at or mt tires, im sure that the range would drop a bit. and could you charge this offa generator to increase the range, if your stopping for the night run the generator for a few hours and top up the battery
This has been my dream. Drop a genset in the back for extended trips, store it in the garage when not needed. Even more better: have gensets available for rent. When an owner needs more range or power they just swing by the rental place where they drop the genset in.

Even better:

Have a solar charging system on it so it charges during the day while you are using it!

Or you could buy a 79 series landcruiser Voltra. With no emissions , it might the easiest way to get a 7* series into the US.

While you're at it, tow this bitch around, unlimited range.

MDG25IF4-3-4-rear_768px.jpg

Before or after either Tesla goes tits up or Musk gets voted off the island?

Some more specs on their official site. Pretty impressive if it lives up to the marketing hype.

• 11,000 lb tow rating
  • 1,700 lb payload
  • fording depth of three feet
  • on-board air and AC electric
  • 200 hp individually controlled motor at each wheel
https://products.rivian.com/

If I could put that platform under an 80 series body, I'd be very interested. Hard to justify $60K for a truck you are going to wheel but the tech advancements are indicative of where the market is going. Cool stuff.

Some more specs on their official site. Pretty impressive if it lives up to the marketing hype.

• 11,000 lb tow rating
  • 1,700 lb payload
  • fording depth of three feet
  • on-board air and AC electric
  • 200 hp individually controlled motor at each wheel
https://products.rivian.com/

If I could put that platform under an 80 series body, I'd be very interested. Hard to justify $60K for a truck you are going to wheel but the tech advancements are indicative of where the market is going. Cool stuff.

So....It's got 800 WHP?

What are the torque #s?

Relating the math between hp and Nm is above my pay grade :), but the info below is from their site. 0-60mph in 3 seconds is not too shabby.

“Rivian’s vehicles also feature a quad-motor system that delivers 147kW with precise torque control to each wheel, enabling active torque vectoring and maximum performance in every situation, from high-speed cornering to low-speed rock crawling. With 3,500 Nm of grounded torque per wheel (14,000 Nm of torque for the full vehicle), the R1T can reach 60 mph in 3 seconds and 100 mph in less than 7 seconds. This powertrain and chassis also enable the R1T’s tow rating of 11,000 pounds.”

https://media.rivian.com/rivian-lau...dventure-vehiclestm-with-debut-of-r1t-pickup/

I have dreamed of some sort of power-articulated suspension for an electric crawler. Basically, you would be able to individually move each axle with at two degrees of freedom, and at the end of it, there'd be a super high torque electric motor and your tire. You could add another degree of freedom at the hub so you could do crazy s*** like pick your tire up and place it tread against a wall or something - you could place the tire anywhere, at any angle, within some radius of the body/frame. In the event that the electric hubs weren't powerful enough, you could "walk" the truck by moving the linkages to the hub.

So, hell yes, I'd love one of these. But bigger. And better. And not as comfortable. And way, way more dangerous.

This has been my dream. Drop a genset in the back for extended trips, store it in the garage when not needed. Even more better: have gensets available for rent. When an owner needs more range or power they just swing by the rental place where they drop the genset in.
So basically a diesel-electric locomotive. Cool. If saving the environment is the goal, this form of recharging doesn't make a lot of sense. But if performance is the goal then right on, king Jesus

So basically a diesel-electric locomotive. Cool. If saving the environment is the goal, this form of recharging doesn't make a lot of sense. But if performance is the goal then right on, king Jesus
Well no, plug-in electric with an option to become hybrid when needed. This setup wouldn't need nearly as big a battery to find wide acceptance. Wouldn't need to build, buy, haul around, or dispose of such a huge battery.

I have dreamed of some sort of power-articulated suspension for an electric crawler. Basically, you would be able to individually move each axle with at two degrees of freedom, and at the end of it, there'd be a super high torque electric motor and your tire. You could add another degree of freedom at the hub so you could do crazy s*** like pick your tire up and place it tread against a wall or something - you could place the tire anywhere, at any angle, within some radius of the body/frame. In the event that the electric hubs weren't powerful enough, you could "walk" the truck by moving the linkages to the hub.

So, hell yes, I'd love one of these. But bigger. And better. And not as comfortable. And way, way more dangerous.

I drove my first electric car in 1997. If any of you recall the HardCastle McCormic TV series they used a kit car called the "Kyote" well a friend took the kit and attacked it to a existing frame from another car. I got to go on a ride along and it was fast and dead quiet. I knew this was the future. I can see a explosion of electric cars in the future. What I really want to see is Electric Trucks and RVS. Even seen a picture of a VW van with massive solar panel on roof. It charged its bank of batteries which gave it a range of 50 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom