edic wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
gallery.oldholden.com
Just purchased a 1979 HJ45 that the PO has put a 2H into. Vehicle doesnt switch off at key, and that have made a pull into the cab from the pump to shut it down. Trying to get the EDIC working properly.
I think this issue is in the wiring. The Relay clicks when I turn the key and earth out oil pressure switch wire, and I can power up the edic motor directly to battery. My edic motor pictured has only 4 wires coming from it (green red yellow and white), whereas all my workshop manuals show 5 (green, red, yellow, light blue, white with black -going to earth) no mention of solid white??. The old wiring for the H motor is still near the connector with the light blue wire I need, what would I hook this up to? where do I run a earth wire up to on my edic motor, what is this white wire?

2nd question
in picture shown, I assume this is the oil pressure switch???
yellow with black trace wire has broken off, my manual shows this wire and a white wire going to switch, is this correct????

damn PO's and crazy wiring!!!!!

Dave
100_3098.jpg
100_3103.jpg
100_3097.jpg

in your second picture, the green plastic terminal on top of the cylinder head is the temperature sensor for Superglow. That means the 2H in your HJ45 came from a truck which had that system (1983~later HJ47 or HJ60). If you have the other Superglow parts (two glow relays, pre-heating timer, current sensor in intake manifold, etc), then it can be hooked up. The temp sensor connects strictly to the pre-heating timer (one wire in common to ground, the other wire directly to the timer).

There is a separate water temp sensor on the front of the engine, placed into the side of the thermostat neck - to this sensor, typically the single wire is yellow-green stripe, and connects directly to the water temp gauge in your combination meter (instrument cluster).

As for the EDIC-related wires, first of all let's look at the set up that would be correct for a 1979 HJ45:

1) white w. black stripe is the ground from the EDIC motor to the harness. White with black stripe is always a grounding wire, wherever you find it in the harness.
2)four wires: red, green, yellow, and light blue, all go directly between the EDIC motor and the EDIC fuel control relay.
3) white w. light blue stripe connects to the 'AM' terminal on your ignition switch, along with the regulator, and a fusible link at your battery. This is the main power feed.
4) yellow w. black stripe connects between fuel control relay and the low oil pressure switch on the side of your engine (it's near the starter, and is not the oil pressure sender).

Your truck has a slightly different set up, and I suspect it may have come along with the later engine. How your main harness fits into all of this is a good question. The later EDIC set-up had a 4-wire set up to the EDIC motor, Yellow, green red and light blue, and these wires run only between the EDIC motor and the Fuel Control relay. Since one of your wires is white, I suspect that it may be a simple color substitution- more relevant is which color wire in the harness does it attach to at the other side of the terminal connector? That should be the 'real' wire color, and in your case it looks to be white-light blue stripe, and is likely the main power fed through the fuel control relay, terminal 'M' (for 'M'otor).

The lack of a white-black stripe grounding wire on the EDIC motor is no big deal, some were set up that way for a reason only Toyota knows - it means that the EDIC motor grounds through it's connection to the engine, so you need to make sure your engine grounding straps/wires are in good shape.

hope that helps..:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks for your input henry james, have been following your build, its awesome.

If i could use your knowledge a bit more:

joined the white wire on the edic motor up to the light blue wire, still nothing.
there are two white with light blue wires cut near harness. They both have power at all times. should and/or where should I join these????
powered up the red, l blue, green and yell wires back to the relay, and they are all correct and test fine.
even though the relay 'click's when i move ignition to on pos, and earth out oil wire, im leaning to it being the problem.
It may still be the old H relay. and it may not be working and/or not compatible. I have included a pic, if you have any ideas.
I rang a few wreckers for a relay, they want to know what part number i have to match it up. ill be wasting my money if this one is wrong.
Is there anyway to test it??

Thanks again

Dave

number on relay
28590 5606?

056700-4300
12v
100_3106.jpg

I can't really help much with the diagnosis of the fuel control relay- I've never been able to find a diagnostic test listed for it in any Toyota manual- maybe in an 'H' or early 2H engine manual you could find something. My 1985 manual only mentions 'EDIC' in a couple of spots and gives no further info on testing or repairing its components. The fact that the fuel relay 'clicks' is a good sign - I would imagine then that there should be power output from at least one of the wires after the click - have you tried to determine if it is putting power out after the click, and if so, which wire? If there is power out, then the next issue is whether it makes it to the edic motor or not, etc.

As for the fuel relay part number, if you do a search you will find some stuff by that cleaver Kiwi named Tom (Lost Marbles) - he did a part number breakdown for the EDIC relays. I suspect you will want a relay to match the year of 2H you have, to get the appropriate number of wires. The part number you listed is missing the final digit - likely a '0' but maybe not...

Sorry i can't help further.

Hi There, I see you guys a very well knowledge in the 40 series and alike.... I recently purchased my first 1983 HJ47. On the day I picked it up the young guy said mate to switch off engine you need to pull this wire to kill engine.. he said ohh been like that for years.

well since then I decided to do some searching and found that the 2H I have came with what I think is super glow, currently to start I need to put the ignition on and then press a button and hold it in for 10 or so seconds before cranking engine, I think this a bush mechanics quick fix....

I also was missing the EDIC rod and eventually made one, I also noticed sitting behind the drivers seat 2 relay looking metal enclosure , one totally rusted out and the other looks like it was purchased from wreckers (typical pink hand written markings say OK), (simialr to the above picture but with 4 relays) I have also pulled apart the EDIC and cleaned it and did the ohm test on the 4 pins according the workshop manual and the unit seems to be ok... as for the small metal relay with large white plug..... I found a socket that matched the metal box this plug was on the passenger (AU) side just to left of glove box.

my question to you all and I hope somebody can assist me is, can you supply me information on where these items plug into and would my car be fitted with a pre heated system. Is the push button for glow plugs a normal standard item or do you think somebody added this in and if it has been added how do I go back to how it was meant to be from original.

Also how important is the EDIC other than the killing the engine.

I would like to thank you all in advance for any assistance.

Regards George P

Relay.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom