Early style brake light transplants ideas if you got em (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to move / replace my brake lights on a 72. Not happy with how they sit on the sides of the rear bumper. Son moved his into the sheet metal above. What else has been done? Pictures would be awesome! Thanks

Not happy because of the vulnerability of the location?

Mr. Manny took the time to fab up a short section of pipe to put the lights INSIDE and then attach to the rear crossmember. Very stout like that, and still basically looking stock. I plan to do the same for my '68 one of these days.

Best

Mark A.

Here's how the Aus army configured their troopies...

2409176-394x295.jpg

But I think it looks funny

They look funny to me as well, I know there must be some great ideas - would love to hit the junkyard and know what to look for! I saw a picture on here awhile back and know someone did something that looked great. Should have saved it.

I built a new bumper out of channel, cut the ends to make them curve around the sides with a 45 degree corner on each end. Ditched the original bumperettes and tailights for this solid bumper across the back. Put some standard old round tailights in the bumper itself. The kind you can get cheap at the parts stores. Easy to replace lenses if broken, (haven't broken one yet.) But you can also land the rear end on the bumper and not mess up anything out back.

MoCo thanks for the idea, any pictures by chance?

Thanks for the photos Fieldsken and pbgbottle, great to see what you have done!

MoCo thanks for the idea, any pictures by chance?

I'll try to get some tonight of my bumper. Has worked quite well for many years.

Only problem is that the cheaper lights don't seal very well and I get dust in them. A better light assembly would be nice.

bumper lights

here is what my P.O. has done. its a 4 x 2.5 3/16 box tubing. cut two 45 deg angles around the corner so it wraps. then cut holes for LED tail lights in it
it works well because you can't knock you lights out of the bumper.(forward or reverse)

one of the only sucessful Upgrades he did. I intend on removing the hitch and installing a receiver underneath. to be able to lower my hitch.
lc 010.jpg

course feildsken has mine beat hands down.:clap::flipoff2:

Here's a shot of mine right after I finished up the bumper. They're cheap box store lights, I think I paid $10/ea for them. Fairly well protected in the bumper, but easy/inexpensive to replace if I break 'em.

I believe this is a pretty popular mod, I've seen lots of folks on the forum run them this way, so nothing terribly original.
rear stance.jpg

Here is mine, she's had some use and abuse. You cut the ends with 22.5 degree wedges, a few inches apart and then heat and bend to acheive that end. The brackets to the frame are the same channel, just peices cut off and drilled to bolt onto the frame where the bumperettes were. Then welded to the channel.

I didn't know back when I made it, but a person can get what they call bumper blanks in differing widths that are rolled steel just like the front bumper. That would work up the same and match the front stock bumper. Steel supply places can get the blanks or you can have them made.
HPIM1845.jpg
HPIM1847.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom