Driving my 60 to Alaska... Right now. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.infohammer.net
Hi! We started off in Portland (well, Colton really), Oregon and are headed to Homer, AK!

main.php

We've been making great progress, though slow going. We've gone 1,017 miles, figure there is another 350 to go before we're half way. Lucky me, Monkey has been doing the bulk of the driving...
main.php

This is our view of the truck this morning at Dawson Creek, it's warmed up to a balmy 30degrees from the 10 it was last night. Whew. We've been taking pictures and video along the way. Once this is all in the rear view, I'll probably be able to put something fun together.

main.php

Cross your fingers for us, the trailer has been trailing and the Cruiser has been humming along. I had to hit second a few times to get up some of these hills and because of the slick - have had some real pucker moments when passing or being passed by the big rigs. We had one small, slow moving jack knife situation leaving a rest area, getting ready to pull out into traffic (hah - there was no real traffic) and having to hit the brakes when a car appeared out of nowhere but nothing really got hurt, the spare tire on the back of the Cruiser repelled the trailer at the propane tanks.

Btw, the trailer is a 1968 Aristocrat :bounce2:

Last edited:
I forgot! If you want to check our progress, here is what we're updating while on the road via GPS/Satellite:

SPOT Shared Page

...it's real time updated when we hit checkin.

Very cool! I just made the trip from Oregon to Fairbanks a couple weeks ago. Of course you allready know this I'm sure, but it's worth saying, The roads get really bad for trailers after Whitehorse. Be carefull! The roads also have straight ice from freezing rain in spots too.
Looks like one loaded FJ-60! Fun stuff.

TK

epic journey! love the gps check in! I'll be doing some road tripping this summer myself! Best of luck and drive safe!

i would love to make this trip someday with my son.

have fun. i will definately pray for travel mercies for you.

Woah.. that's an adventure right there !!!!!
What's the plan ? thinking of spending summer in Homer, AK ?
That is one awesome place !!

Safe travels to all 3 of yah !!!

I gotta teach my cat to drive. I need a designated driver, cabs are too expensive!

Sounds like a great trip!

What time will the Alaska Channel, err I mean the Discovery Channel be airing your story?

:)

Seriously, have fun and be safe!

LOL I think I passed you when you crossed the border and drove through Cloverdale BC (first town across the boarder in Canada).

Great looking setup, it looked like it had quite a load.

Good luck on the trip. :cheers:

Wow cool trip.. i would love to do that one day.... dang i would be worried pulling that trailer with my 60 on dry flat ground !!! good luck !!!! i think its WAY cool !!!

I drove my first 60 up there in December 2000 I was a great time. Have fun I lived up there for almost three years.

Wow cool trip.. i would love to do that one day.... dang i would be worried pulling that trailer with my 60 on dry flat ground !!!

same idea pop in to my mind .. good luck !

same idea pop in to my mind .. good luck !

Me too... I worry about the hitch mount bicycle rack on my 62 when I make the trip!

Made it to toad river, bc, tonight, wow what a blizzard! Averaged 20mph.

Wow cool trip.. i would love to do that one day.... dang i would be worried pulling that trailer with my 60 on dry flat ground !!! good luck !!!! i think its WAY cool !!!

I hauled my '62 back form Whitehorse BC to Palmer AK last fall on an 18 foot trailer behind my FJ80. A relaxed pace keeps it easy. I hauled another Cruiser all the way from Seattle a few years earlier, but that was behind a 3/4 ton Dodge.

BTW... when you get past Kulane Lake, you will see some nasty as hell road surface (frost heaves... better in the winter than the summer at least) until you reach Beaver Creek... plan on taking it nice and slow if you do not want to trash your trailer, or even your rig's springs.

Mark...

Man I remember hitting the frost heaves in my old tundra going Waaaaaaaaayyy too fast. Never even saw them. I thought for sure the suspension on the truck was going to die. I had no idea what they were or to expect them being from the South. we learned fast :)

Have fun on the trip, it's probably a neat adventure this time of year :) thanks for posting up!

Just made it to Haines junction, Yukon. There is a white 60 parked outside too!

Pics etc to come after sleep.

Wow! Looks like an amazing trip. Would love to do something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom