Donaldson Power Core filter on KZJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I converted my LJ78 to a KZJ78 but I didn't have the 1KZ air box. I've been using the 2LTE round air box but I'm not happy with how it seals at the base of the filter element and it is definitely not waterproof which makes my snorkel useless. I've been looking around for solutions and have been impressed by the idea of using this Donaldson Powercore element (made for Volant) but I haven't found an aftermarket air box that looks like a good fit. Plus I'd be looking at $200-300 for a cold air intake solution with a K&N style filter which I don't want. In the end I would still have an air box that could be subject to letting water in.

What I am thinking of doing is installing the Donaldson air filter directly onto my snorkel at the fender and then going straight to my turbo inlet with some ducting and ports for inlet air temp sensor and a filter minder.

It looks like this filter will work without a traditional air box judging by some of the kits that Volant sells. It also looks like the same filter element that they use in engines up to 5.4L so I'd guess it can flow enough CFMs to keep the turbo well fed but I don't really understand the science behind it. I will probably fabricate an aluminum shroud to go around the filter to mount it, and protect it but it would be more like armor and less like an air box.

This seems a little too simple to me and like I may be missing something. Does anyone have any experience with modifying these intakes or with Powercore filters for that matter? Do you know if they are waterproof through the outside diameter of the filter? If it isn't, it wouldn't be difficult to seal the outside diameter. This may all just be wishful thinking so I'm looking for anyone that might see something I'm missing.

If I go through with this mod I'll be sure to post some pictures of the install and report on how loud it is.

After posting this earlier this evening I discovered that Volant offers this filter in a kit installed in basically the same way I'm wanting to do it. It is for a Scion Xb but I'll try not to hold that against it.
185246_in.gif

411524_sm.jpg

Donaldson's offer good advice via a phone call or email,thats been my experience with dealing with the Australian office.
They also have a airflow calculator on their site somewhere

bbpjunk; i am using an LC80 air filter box for my 1kz LJ71. keep us posted on the Donaldson thing. btw, hows the performance of the Dobinson spring? tia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom