Diff armour (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My point is with the terminology. You asked for weldable which is what's needed, the previous person i responded to was talking about fireline. Just as some people say cement when they mean concrete, it's two different things, and I'm just trying to keep a few people from maybe making a mistake. If one of you guys walks into a larger plumbing supply house like Ferguson, or a proper pipe stockist that resells pipe,hydrants, and structures to various underground utility companies and asked for an 8" fire line cap you'd be getting an 8" MJ ductile iron cap.

Random, but constructeur are you in the business? I am a CE by trade and primarily do water and wastewater work, and can totally agree with what you are saying about the DI cap Maybe the cap is for gas line, they use a lot of steel line.

Jynx- I've a number of years in the ditch as a pipelayer, finished a CM degree, and now work in field management with a local civil outfit.8" steel gas line!! Could be for mainline or something, out here they used to run 3" off the trunk for a low pressure system. Now when we locate them it's either a 5/8" or 3/4" line encapsulated in the old steel, or newer roll poly stuff.Hope you're staying busy back your way, lots of good people out of work or making short checks/ short hours in this economy.

I finally welded the diff cover on. I had to do some trimming to the oil fill hole since it hit the front of the cover. It fit decent and i should have beveled the edges since i used a 110v welder, but it will work. Sorry for the crappy pics.
photo50.jpg
photo51.jpg
photo42.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I've been wanting to do this.

No problem Derrick, with 295's I was banging my diffs on everything. I was also gonna build up a weld around the lower fill hole ring, but got lazy.

BTW I finally made use of the E-locker shims. George at Valley Hybrids is the proud owner of them now.

RTH on the install of that trail gear diff skid..

I have one on hand that i'm about to weld up but as i place it on the front diff, the pan hard rod is really close to the top lip of the cover. My concern is if the suspension cycles (compressed) is the panhard going to hit the skid?

The pan hard will rub the cover. I just hit it with a flap disc and problem solved. You don't need to cut it out. Just grind it down a bit on the PS side top.

anyone got a pic of their diy done with pipe cap? that trail gear one looks real nice too

Anyone know if Marlins full cover will fit?

Trail Gear x2... Cant beat it for 40 dollars to your door..

Thanks for that! Just what I needed.

anyone got a pic of their diy done with pipe cap? that trail gear one looks real nice too

As requested. One 10" pipe cap will do two front diffs.

102_4862.jpg

thanks Ali. I think that's the route I'll go.

Last edited:
We cut the trail gear cover and slid it down the face of the diff, then used the cut piece to make a tiny skid plate under the diff. L.B.

diff armor.jpg

easy to do with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel!

That's what i did. Just cut it with my 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel.

The only problem is that i'm not a veteran welder and i'm having a hard time getting it to stick. So i'm going to take the ready to weld skid to a friend who is a professional welder so he can stick it on. :grinpimp:

I should have added some steel on the lower part and added a fat weld around the drain plug hole.

photo2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom