Diesel Engine identification help please ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Land Cruiser currently has a 4-cylinder turbo diesel in it that is supposedly out of a 1988 4-RUNNER and I need to ask some knowledgeable folks to help verify what this motor actually is before I put it up for sale - and an idea of what I should ask for it ?
I’ve searched the internet for a while but I don’t have enough experience on these motors to be confident - I don’t want to misrepresent the engine when I sell it.

Sorry for the lousy pictures but they are all I’ve got at this point. The L/C is still at my buddy’s place in Alabama and I’m in Florida.

Any help in identifying will be very much appreciated - thanks, Tom

B805A62B-377F-4FC3-958F-A34FABBDC12C.png

C8B4EFD1-165F-4C45-A6BF-F7F0270D0558.png

Last edited:
Actually, that looks like a 2L, 2.4 liter naturally aspirated engine with an aftermarket turbo.

Actually, that looks like a 2L, 2.4 liter naturally aspirated engine with an aftermarket turbo.
The turbo placement has perplexed me being down so low - I just figured that it was an application type of thing.
Are there any obvious tell signs of it being just a 2L ?
When it comes time to sell the motor and trans/T-case I don’t want to miss represent anything as better than it actually is.
Thanks, Tom

A factory turbo would be mounted up higher with a crossover pipe going right over the valve cover into the intake manifold. The intake manifold on the turbo version has a top inlet flange that has a cast elbow bolted on, your manifold has a side inlet that a hose clamps to.

One issue I see with the current setup is that the crankcase breather hose coming out of the valve cover is still plumbed to its original location on the intake manifold. This would be correct on a NA engine, but with a turbo it will pressurize the crankcase, blowing oil out all the seals and gaskets. The breather hose should be vented to atmosphere or run through a catch can, and the port on the manifold capped off.

A factory turbo would be mounted up higher with a crossover pipe going right over the valve cover into the intake manifold. The intake manifold on the turbo version has a top inlet flange that has a cast elbow bolted on, your manifold has a side inlet that a hose clamps to.

One issue I see with the current setup is that the crankcase breather hose coming out of the valve cover is still plumbed to its original location on the intake manifold. This would be correct on a NA engine, but with a turbo it will pressurize the crankcase, blowing oil out all the seals and gaskets. The breather hose should be vented to atmosphere or run through a catch can, and the port on the manifold capped off.
Ah, this makes a lot of sense - when my buddy ( the one I bought the Land Cruiser from ) found the 2L ( with the turbo ) in the 4-RUNNER he said it was externally oily as can be with a lot of blow by but when he did a compression test on it it had really good numbers.
So he went ahead with his plan for swapping out the 2F and cleaned up the 2L only to have external oil seepage/leaks but that never stopped him from driving it.

Thanks for the insight on what exactly it is that I have and explaining the blow by issue - I never considered that it was an aftermarket turbo add on item while I was trying to identify it.

Appreciate the help fellas !

Note that the pre 1989 and post 1989 2L/2LT motors are quite different. So when you order parts for that motor, make sure to order for the earlier version (1988). Just look up the vehicle on Megazip EPC to find part numbers.

Does anyone know if there is a Stamp on the engine block to identify this motor?

Note that the pre 1989 and post 1989 2L/2LT motors are quite different. So when you order parts for that motor, make sure to order for the earlier version (1988). Just look up the vehicle on Megazip EPC to find part numbers.
Appreciate the info !
I’m actually pulling this motor, transmission and T-case ( all from that same 4-Runner ) and will just put it up for sale to get rid of it all - I just needed to know what it was for when I listed it.

I’m replacing it with a GM 292 and a SM-465 once I get it home.

Again, thank y’all for the clarification and info on this 2L diesel - the add-on turbo was causing confusion for me when researching what it was.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom