destins 1964 fj40 FST restore thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Impact driver

What does that do exactly?

Thanks!

Destin

Whats it do? It hurts like heck if the hammer misses the impact driver. Other than that it's worth its weight in gold when you need it. Like mentioned earlier they're cheep so every shop should have one. I don't use it a lot but when I do it's great. Although it can be used to tighten I've only used it to loosen. Oh ya, don't use it in liew of all the other suggestions, you still need to soak it soak it and soak it some more. And I hit mine with a rubber mallet.

Rod

I use a cheap puller I bought at Harbor Freight. Comes with both SAE and metric bolts. The other thing you csn try is put the nut back on until it's flush with the end of the thread. Then while someone pulls up hit the end of shaft. Sometimes the stock will break it loose. If you have a good steering wheel you don't want to mess anything trying to pull it.:cheers:

Thanks! :D

I will pick up a puller tomorrow morning :)

The more I start to disassemble the cruiser the easier it seems.
I like the simplicity of every thing.
Seized bolts and fasteners are my nemesis! ;)

Whats it do? It hurts like heck if the hammer misses the impact driver. Other than that it's worth its weight in gold when you need it. Like mentioned earlier they're cheep so every shop should have one. I don't use it a lot but when I do it's great. Although it can be used to tighten I've only used it to loosen. Oh ya, don't use it in liew of all the other suggestions, you still need to soak it soak it and soak it some more. And I hit mine with a rubber mallet.

Rod

:D

I will pick one up and incorporate it into my soaking and waiting routine :D

Thanks!

I hear you about the heater...I think I should start looking for one of these as well; (let me know if you find more than one ;) )

So who's cruiser is this Dean. Because of no defrost vents it makes it a 61 or 62. What's the with thwo colors. Floor is a different color green?

Be sure to find an original oil filter canister...that replacement thing has got to go :rolleyes:

Yep, because all those advancements in filter technology should not be wasted on a simple implement engine because the canister oil filter assembly was so much more efficient at removing contaminates and destructive particulates, compares to the newer, less attractive and far more efficient spin-on oil filter assembly.

:cheers:

Yep, because all those advancements in filter technology should not be wasted on a simple implement engine because the canister oil filter assembly was so much more efficient at removing contaminates and destructive particulates, compares to the newer, less attractive and far more efficient spin-on oil filter assembly.

snarky ++

haha :D

Cheers

Destin

snarky ++

haha :D

Cheers

Destin

I guess MILLHOUSE don't read too well...otherwise he would have known that you were doing a proper restoration :lol:

Last edited:
For the life of me I don't know why this was moved from the 40 series section. I understand some crossover from the 25's and being an early 40 but it's still a 40 not a 25. I guess there shouldn't be 2 thread on the same thing, not like that ever happens on forums.

For the life of me I don't know why this was moved from the 40 series section. I understand some crossover from the 25's and being an early 40 but it's still a 40 not a 25. I guess there shouldn't be 2 thread on the same thing, not like that ever happens on forums.

yeah I started a thread in the 25 section so i could get your guy's restoration input. I guess more than one restoration thread is not a good thing on mud ;)

Sorry about that guys.

Not moved, merged. Yeah two of the same exact threads are never good. ;) Destin, let me know if you want it over there, I can send you right back. :lol: Seriously, might be the better spot for it.

Not moved, merged. Yeah two of the same exact threads are never good. ;) Destin, let me know if you want it over there, I can send you right back. :lol: Seriously, might be the better spot for it.

nice merged is good, thanks :)

If you guys are ok with it I would like to keep it here, there is a wealth of excellent restoration knowledge in this section. However I understand if ya guys need to boot me as my rig is not a 25 ;)

Last edited:
As far as the screws go, I'm not talking removal. just freeing them up for removal. Soak, tap, repeat. You've got all the time in the world.

Then by all means try the impact driver, if it's not ready to go you'll just rip the center out of it though. ;)

As far as the screws go, I'm not talking removal. just freeing them up for removal. Soak, tap, repeat. You've got all the time in the world.

Then by all means try the impact driver, if it's not ready to go you'll just rip the center out of it though. ;)

I am going the soak and let it sit route :)
No need for me to be hasty.

There are a couple of ones I would like to pick your brain about.
Letting things sit until wednesday to soak, but I will post the tricky bolts I am referring to then

Thanks again!

Sorry about the other tread in the 40/55 forum. I guess this is my fault. The reason I thought you should post over here is because you won't get lost as easy. Plus you probably wouldn't be questioned why your not leaving a spin-on oil filter instead of changing to the old messy canister type that doesn't work as well. Very few here on mud are trying to take their early cruisers back to OEM stock. The rest don't seem to understand that not everybody wants everthing modified from stock because it's better. If that was the case I would trade my 89 FJ62 with 121K on it for the cash for cluckers. I doubt I could get $4,500 and the brand new vehicle would have a lot of improvements over the last twenty years. I would have a hard time selling for $4,500, plus I wouldn't have to worry about ever having anybody complain because something when wrong. It would just go to the crusher. If I did I know I would be flamed here on mud for doing it. But you talk about going back to the old school oil filter and some one trys to flame for it:confused: I think your better off on the 25 forum if your trying to go back to stock. More early information here. A lot of of also have early 40s as well as 25s. I just picked up another one yesterday:cheers:

Okay I'm off my soap box:rolleyes:

I will change this tread in a day or so. I don't what to take away from the great job your doing destin.

Sorry about the other tread in the 40/55 forum. I guess this is my fault. The reason I thought you should post over here is because you won't get lost as easy. Plus you probably wouldn't be questioned why your not leaving a spin-on oil filter instead of changing to the old messy canister type that doesn't work as well. Very few here on mud are trying to take their early cruisers back to OEM stock. The rest don't seem to understand that not everybody wants everthing modified from stock because it's better. If that was the case I would trade my 89 FJ62 with 121K on it for the cash for cluckers. I doubt I could get $4,500 and the brand new vehicle would have a lot of improvements over the last twenty years. I would have a hard time selling for $4,500, plus I wouldn't have to worry about ever having anybody complain because something when wrong. It would just go to the crusher. If I did I know I would be flamed here on mud for doing it. But you talk about going back to the old school oil filter and some one trys to flame for it:confused: I think your better off on the 25 forum if your trying to go back to stock. More early information here. A lot of of also have early 40s as well as 25s. I just picked up another one yesterday:cheers:

Okay I'm off my soap box:rolleyes:

I will change this tread in a day or so. I don't what to take away from the great job your doing destin.

Tomorrow I have the day off and I will be back at the shop tearing down the cruiser, feel like a kid at christmas, I can hardly wait :D

Post some photos of your new 40!

Looks like the windscreen had not been lowered in 30 + years hehe.
The hinge was way stiff.
The seal was in great condition however ( not shown )

3790514876_f959b1b9dd_o.jpg

3789700777_407c5fe558_o.jpg

Patience payed off, the bolts came out.
Soaked the connection again, so it will be easier to remove tomorrow

3789700359_2dfcb96a93_o.jpg

3789701313_ed67c955c7_o.jpg

3789701193_30fa762dbb_o.jpg

3790515842_1db404a7c2_o.jpg

Is there a reason to have all these holes?
I need to make a list of stuff that should be patched up during the body work phase...

3789700457_588f71fa76_o.jpg

3790515714_d432b730c3_o.jpg

More tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Ash Tray/Lighter

Destin your project is going to be a blast. I'm trying to get through a rebuild of a 65 and it's going very slowly but it's still a lot of fun.

I noticed that on your rig you havea hole for an ash tray but no lighter. So I looked closer at mine and the hole for the lighter is definately PO or at least an enlargement of an OE hole. So my question is, Did the early cruisers have a cig. lighter as an option? or were they absent from this era.

Rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom