Builds Daughter's Favorite - Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 Toyota Landcruiser.
Mud member since 2013. Finally starting a build thread 2 yrs later.

This thread is titled Daughter's Favorite as I negotiated to get the 80 series from my father during the birth of my daughter (yea wife still talks about that) and though the car drives my wife crazy, my daughter who is now almost 2.5 yrs old loves it. It is her favorite car and she always requests to ride in it - smart girl.

The Landcruiser was previously owned by my father since 2001. I purchased it from him in 2013. Unfortunately my father was fairly rough on the interior of the car, but he did keep fairly regular maintenance otherwise. When I purchased the vehicle in June of 2013 it had 263k mi on it. It currently has 277k mi on it. Over the past 2 yrs I have done a fair amount of work on it. I had no prior mechanic experience other than oil changes on my 1998 Toyota Tacoma. Thankfully I found mud and have learned a ton from the people on this site and the threads. I had the '98 Tacoma since senior year in high school and sold it after graduating from residency to one of my nurses sons. I miss that truck but with the family and only a 2 door truck it just wasn't feasible. Prior to that i drove a 1986 CJ7.

My dad had not been driving the landcruiser much over the past 2 yrs prior to me purchasing it. He would occasional take it to work. There was not much maintenance performed on the vehicle 2 yrs prior to me getting it. However he did drive it 800mi round trip just before i got it - testament to the Landcruiser and it's reliability. Before my wife and I picked up the vehicle from my father he had the valve cover gasket changed, coolant checked, ac recharged, and new spark plugs placed as well as a basic checkup to make sure we could make it the 7 hr drive home.

When my daughter was 1 month old we picked up the Landcruiser from my parents. This was in June in South Carolina. When we headed home everything went great but 1.5 hrs from home in Georgia the AC cut out and even with the windows down it was almost unbearable. We finally raced home and I got to work on the vehicle.

Here is the landcruiser when i picked it up:

Since getting the vehicle I have replaced or repaired:

1)Replaced all coolant hoses and radiator hoses, PHH, FHH, water valve on firewall, new thermostat, new Breeze clamps
2)Switched to green coolant after full radiator flush
3)replaced the radiator with a Toyota OEM radiator after the top tank split, new cap as well.
4)Replaced all fuel injectors after finding a leaking fuel injector
5)Replaced fuel pump, all soft fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator
6)Replaced charcoal canister with VC120 and new hoses
7)Changed front crank seal, oil pump gasket (torx screws), distributor o-ring
8)Replaced all power steering lines and power steering pump
9)Switched to Mobil 1 5w40 oil and performed 2 blackstone reports (All is well)
10)Installed AMW PCV catch can
11)Replaced all other rubber hoses under the hood
12)Resolved P0401 code and replaced VSV, EGR modulator, EGR valve, all vacuum hoses
13)Resolved the leak in the weather stripping on the rear quarter panels and the vent louvers
14)Resolved a wiring problem to the #1 oxygen sensor that shorted causing vehicle to shut off
15)Replaced exhaust hangers
16)Replaced transfer case speed sensor o-ring
17)Changed front/rear (cheap Coastal 80w90), center differential gear oil (Mobil 1 75w90)
18)Changed differential fill plugs to hex plugs (after having to have the rear plug welded to get off)
19)Rebuilt front axle, swapped Birf sides, replaced all bearings (valvoline palladium for birfs, Mobil 1 red for wheel bearings)
20)Rebuilt rear axel, replaced all bearings with same grease as above
21)Rebuilt the old brake calipers all around, replaced with OEM brake pads, flushed brake fluid, installed all new brake rotors all around
22)Removed the roof rack and used stainless bolts with washers to fill hole.
23)Drained and refilled with Valvoline dex/merc transmission fluid 4 times.
24)Installed 2 new TRE's on front axle rear tie-rod
25) Replaced AC evaporator core under dash and expansion valve - AC issues resolved
26)Inspected and wrapped wiring harness next to EGR with heat protective tape
27)Replaced steering column floor gasket
28)Replaced drive and AC belts, as well as idler pulley
29)Replaced alternator brushes
30)Replaced fusible links
31)Father replaced engine at 180k miles with 1fzfe out of Lx450 after overheating
32)Installed new spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor
33)Replaced window runs

I have installed:
1)Dual din Kenwood DDX471HD with backup camera, hands free mic, etc.
2)Cobra 75WXST cb radio with firestik antenna
3)Center diff switch with Pin 7 mod
3)ARB front bumper with Warn M12k winch with Amsteel blue synthetic line and Factor 55 prolink
4)Slee ARB skid plate for ac drier protection
5)Slee dual swingout rear bumper with Jerry can basket, slee trailer hitch
6)OME 2.5 Heavy lift with OME caster correction
7)lights to 9011/9012 Halogens
8)battery wiring to main and auxillary battery
9)trailer wiring for towing (standard flat 4 plug)
10)installed scangauge
11)Dual batteries with IBS management system
12)Installed Slee washer bottle relocation kit
13)Installed all new brake lines with extended frame to axle brake lines, and new axle to caliper lines
14)Installed new diff breather lines run to engine bay from front axle, rear driver quarter panel for rear axle
15)Had Landcruiser painted by semi local paint shop. Original 6M1 Dark Mica Green on top and changed Mercedes Lava Grey (matt) Metallic Code: 7229
16)Installed Goodyear Duratracs 285/75/16
17)Installed yellow box to correct speedometer
18)Installed Landtank Blue Fan Clutch
19)Bhicks cup holder
20)Wits end fire extinguisher mounts with h3r mounts on DS and PS with quick release
21)Installed oem idle control knob
22)Hexomat floor mats for front, middle, rear.

Here's how it sits now:

Future plans include:
1)Slee sliders
2)Cruisin offroad skid plates
3)OEM snorkel (waiting on parts)
4)Roof rack and ? Maggiolina
5)Inverter install
6)Sub install
7)IPF 170 Striker lights
8)Some other stuff i may have forgotten or not even seen yet.

Stuff sitting on shelf to install:
1)Bunch of parts
2)Yodateq manifold cooker
3)Yodateq engine light
4)alternator upgrade bracket from @Photoman to 150amp alternator
6)Leather, seat heaters, canvas covers, aux fan from @FloridaFJ80
7)Stuff on the way from @NLXTACY with Wits End

I have been hesitant to start a build thread but I did this in hopes of being able to put all of my mods and things I have done to the vehicle in one place. This may also help as an outlet for future questions or input on things needed so they can easily be revisited. Thanks for everyone's help so far. There is no way I would be able to have done what i have completed thus far without the amazing help and knowledge that is available on this website. Thank you all so much. Granted my wife occasionally states that this website may have been the worst thing that happened to me...Oh well.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your future build.

More pics of me, family, and Landcruiser

1443900139881.jpg

1443900169682.jpg

1443900254491.jpg

1443900314237.jpg

1443900504872.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Rig, beautiful family. :) That Is a significant amount of maint and mods young man, well done. !! I have been working on my 95 for nearly 2 years and I have reached only about 60% of your accomplishments, and I'm retired. :(LOL ! There's a catch, RA, OA, I move slow. You give me new Inspiration and motivation for the future, and good luck on all your new projects. :cheers:

Nice Rig, beautiful family. :) That Is a significant amount of maint and mods young man, well done. !! I have been working on my 95 for nearly 2 years and I have reached only about 60% of your accomplishments, and I'm retired. :(LOL ! There's a catch, RA, OA, I move slow. You give me new Inspiration and motivation for the future, and good luck on all your new projects. :cheers:

Thanks. Appreciate it very much. The wife has a love/hate relationship with the rig. All the work has taken a fair amount of time. I have done all of it myself with the aid of my wonderful wife and daughter. Thanks for the kind words.

Went switch hunting at the pick n pull. Found some switches and thought I got lucky but the seat heater switches were from a newer Lexus es300 and are too big. Oh well

1444000737013.jpg

Beautiful family and rig!!! Cant wait to see when you get everything installed. Thanks for your support!!! Subscribed!!

Glad to see you finally updated your thread. I was starting to wonder if your digital camera had run out of film. We need to do lunch so I can see those mats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom