Dakota Definity MT tire (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruising

Mud User - Not Abuser
SILVER Star
Threads
After much reading and discussion I have decided to get a 295 or 285 mt tire for my needs. Anyone here using the Dakota Definity MT tires made by cooper tire?

I am considering getting the 285/75/16 since they are buy three get one free at Pep Boys. I searched and can't find much about them. I plan on selling my stock michelin tires with 20k on them to a friend for $30 each which put the total cost for these at about $410 mounted and balanced with warrantee. At this price I could buy 2 sets compared to the cost of other mts or a used set of unknow origin and limited life.

I know many may blast me and say you get what you pay for, tires get you home, etc. but I am willing to be a test pilot at this price. In my experinece quality means nothing when you blow out a sidewalk on a hiddin stump in sand even with a great side wall the day after you buy them, that was a $250 lesson. Traction and performance is another story, that is why I am asking if anyone has experiience with this tires ability compared to other MT's.

I think that's what I have... I just bought my first 80 two weeks ago. I'll try to take a picture and post again later.

well, it looks as if I have the Dakota Definity H/T. Which after doing a google search has been recalled.:hmm:
2574940190_6221c8e4d8.jpg

2574941398_2231811495.jpg

for what it's worth they drive fine. nice and smooth on the highway. haven't taken them off road or in the rain yet. so what I'm trying to say is they drive from the house to the auto parts store really well...

Picture

Here is a picture, it seems to have a tread that is more agreesive than a AT but less than say a BFG MT
9527388_definity-dakotamt[1].jpg

:eek:That looks pretty cool. Like it and especially the price.:cool:
It definitely has a blend of the Cooper/Mickey T sidewall look.

Have you looked into the Dunlop MT? They are pretty cheap and proven by members on here. I have no experience with those but have never had good luck with "offbrand" MT tires(they always seem to wear really fast or uneven) but "offbrand" AT's are usually pretty good.

Nope, max size for those in 285/75/R16. I just asked them last week.

For anyone local to Chicago there is a guy on craigslist that is selling a few sets of MTRs for super cheap. I just picked up 5 brand new MTRs in 315/75/R16 for $625. No tax and I need to get them mounted balanced etc. on my own. But thats still $125 a tire. He has a couple sets left.

brand new goodyear mtr tires 35x12.5x15and 315x75r 16

I got the same tire in the AT version just a little while ago.

My short experience is that they may be difficult to balance. They also seem to emphasize the small vibrations in the chassis more than the BFG AT's did.

I did this for the same reasons you state - low cost, willing to try a tire that is very reasonable in price. I kind of wish I would have gone for the MT instead, but for now, the AT is doing fine for me.

I'm going to take it back to see if re-balancing them will improve the ride, maybe even get them to rotate the tire on the rim. The vibration kicks in at about 72~75 mph.

I did have a set of dunlops rovers on my FJ40, but the sidewall separated so they became spares when I replaced them with procomp xterrains, this was some time ago and tires have have come a long way since then

Well I pulled the trigger to be a test pilot. I bought the 285/75/16 definity MT from pep boys, I couldn't pass them up since after all was said and done they cost $420 mounted balanced after selling my used stockers for $30 each and the buy one get one free. Less than half the price of other MT's I have found.

Opinion so far, took alot of weight to balance, and have consideral hum compared even to a procomp xtreme. The hum however may be the same as the xtreme since I had them on my FJ40. They do track very well at high speed but as expected I now have to mash the pedal a bit more on the up hils.

Probably won't get a chance to try off raod for a few months since it has been very hot and I still have some PM to finish.

I will report my findings off road.

pictures

Her is the right rear with newly installed metal tech sliders and the front with the new shortbus.
FZJ80 003sm.jpg
FZJ80 007sm.jpg

I like but I don't see any weight on the rear. Did they only put weights on the inside?

they only put them on the inside. I have also already lost some of the weights on the front wheels. So this may become a problem balancing.

I'm going to try some of those internal beads that go inside the tire to improve the balance on mine. I'll do some research and maybe post up here. Dyna-beads, or several other brands. I've heard both good and bad about some brands, and good and bad about the result of using those. We'll see.

Cooper Private Labels

Definity M/T's are based off the Cooper STT's except that they have 2 ply sidewalls. Pro-Comps come out of the Cooper factory too. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson. I would not recommend most Pep Boys service departments, as I have seen 20+ ounces of weight on a tire that required 8 ounces (and a lot of turning on the wheel). Radial tires should be balanced inside and out, especially in larger sizes. try a local shop and ignore the snickers.
I had Cooper Discover ST's (not STT's) on my 5.9 Durango which I pulled off at 66,000 miles. Rotate tires every 6,000 miles, cross the fronts to the rear (on rear and 4 wheel drive vehicles) rears straight to the front, and you will get your best mileage. The less agressive the tread design, the more forgiving of the 6,000 mile rule. Muds are a must rotate at 6,000! Sold tires for 26+ years, BFG, Cooper, Michelin, you name it. I have 176,500 miles on the D and the 5th set of tires. I put private label Goodyears (Republic APR's, a BFG AT knock-off) on it last time and they are pretty well worn out with less than 40,000 miles on them. In 26 years, I think we warranteed 5 maybe 6 sets of tires for mileage. They are very strict - no signs of non-rotation, under inflation, out of alignment, misuse, road hazards - nada. So don't buy your tires by mileage rating, use it as a comparison within the brand (other brands will have different ways of judging their mileage - it won't be apples to apples).

BTW Dunlop is now owned by Goodyear. It will be used as a value replacement line, like Kelly Springfield.

Keep us posted I am interseded in these tires as well! What do they measure at on a tape? I bought a set of used 285 from a friend and they measured at 31, when I was at pep boys we put them next to a 33 and were a little taller. I was wondering what they actually measure at? They look GOOD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom