Crossing below Horseshoe dam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Went to do a day a the beach today at Sheep Crossing. Checked SRP and the release was 450. In the past when release is above 400 one should cross with caution. The first of 2 required water crossing, the long one was about ~30".:hmm: Doable but that usually means the second one will be deeper and faster.:eek: We were solo so we decided the smart choice would be look around. Found this little private place near by with slow flowing water and max depth of 5'.
thumb.gif

Once flow drops down a little will post up a trip to Sheep's Crossing for another Day at the Beach.
Bus Awning.JPG

The weather was actually very nice yesterday - good for being outside.

I like the awning Phil, what brand is it and where did you pick it up at?

Phil, is this where the turn off from Horseshoe Dam Rd is to take 479 to Sheep's bridge, N33.958852, W111.697847? From Google Earth looks like there are two crossing that lead east of a farm.

There has been 0 release for at least the last few days. Would that be low enough for a stock LX to cross?

Last question, what are the odds of finding something on the east side of horseshoe to camp on Memorial Day weekend without a ton of people there?

Thanks,
Dave

Phil, is this where the turn off from Horseshoe Dam Rd is to take 479 to Sheep's bridge, N33.958852, W111.697847? From Google Earth looks like there are two crossing that lead east of a farm.

There has been 0 release for at least the last few days. Would that be low enough for a stock LX to cross?

Last question, what are the odds of finding something on the east side of horseshoe to camp on Memorial Day weekend without a ton of people there?

Thanks,
Dave
If there is zero release you'll wonder if you're at the right spot. It will be rocks and a light trickle of water. If it's mid release, hold on to your seat!

I just crossed at the southern crossing last Friday with no issues. It is still nerve-wracking because you can't see the bottom, and I recently had a bad experience at the north crossing, so I will be fearing water for a few months (flow was 650 at the time... not pretty). The water at the crossing I used last week was somewhere near 24" deep at the deepest point, and about 15 yards wide. YMMV

Thanks,
Dave

Your N33.958852, W111.697847 is correct for the turn off.

Getting across should be no problem. At the second crossing stay to the right.

Rarely do I see people camping along Horseshoe after the water crossing.

Thanks Phil!

This is the second crossing at zero release, I witnessed a Nissan Mirano Cross on saturday, you should be fine, sheep's bridge will be pretty crowded but I would think the few accesible spots on that side of horshoe would be clear, there are also a few good camp spots on the river between chalk mountain and the bridge
20160521_144656.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the help.

I took the fam out today for a camp site scouting trip all the way up to sheep's bridge and back. Thanks for all the great help. The crossing was a piece of cake and we found a good spot on the east side of the lake. Sheep's bridge was already pretty busy FYI if anyone is thinking of heading that way for the weekend. The river did look pretty low there compared to some of the videos I have seen but I did not ops test it with a crossing attempt or scout it from the bridge. If you haven't done this trip, at 0 flow like today it was a very stock friendly trek and the scenery was amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom