Builds Costa Rican HZJ79 Slow Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DBG

Threads
Hello everyone,

My name is David, I am from Costa Rica and this is "my" slow and long term build thread. The car is a 2016 Toyota HZJ79 dual cab (No pics right now, sorry). Why "my”? Is because the car is not 100% mine. In fact, is a "self bought gift" for my dad, but I am a 0.5% owner (Or maybe less, but is enough for me :hillbilly:) and my dad doesn’t know how to start mod this car, so here is where I help.

Anyways, it came with a 1HZ so for me is a totally different animal (I drive a slightly modified Jeep TJ with the 4.0). My dad and I prefer a petrol V8 engines, but sadly the 1HZ was the only option for J7x in the Costa Rican market :mad:. I see a 1UZ swap in a near future :hmm: but it will be stock for now (or at least when the warranty expires)

Right now I have a lot of questions about the car, so maybe someone can help me:

1- The car didn’t come with tachometer (weird for a $60k car), so, there is any option or mod for add one? My first thought was use the OBD as a “signal provider” for a external scanner (Like ScanGaugeII). I tested with my OBD scanner but it just doesn’t “read” the ECU (BTW, the 1HZ has a real ECU? Because it is mechanical injected and I don’t see any specific sensor like a O2 or EGT or something similar) and I read somewhere on internet that Toyota use a different "OBD" protocol, or something called M-OBD. My next option is an “Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface” from Dakota Digital, but it is way too complex for just one gauge, but still an option. And the last option is “pick up” a signal from the alternator, but I don’t know if my alternator is compatible for that and also it is way too “inexact” for use as a tachometer. Also, I don't know if the injection pump come with the "RPM picker" because i saw a green wire coming of, but i think is just the cut-off solenoid.

2- My next question is about tires and rims/wheels. It came with 16x15.5 steel “split style” rims and 7.50R16LT (maybe 30.5x7.5x16?) “tube type” tires. The first thing on the list of mods for the car is change tires, but when I saw the rims I knew this won’t be easy. I am pretty sure that is hard to find at least a 33” M/T tire for this rim, so change them is a possible option. What are the specs (offset, backspace, stud pattern) of these rims? Or where I can find tires for these rims?

3- The car came with some connectors not plugged and this is most for curiosity. Where should be these connectors plugged? Anyone has the electrical diagram for this car? Pics:

Behind the Headlight

Next to the firewall

Same as above

Same as above

Same as above

4- The car also came with few blank spots for switches. What are they for? Is just for fill them with other switches :D Pics:

What mods has right now? Well, it has a Kenwood KDC-MP162U from “factory” (I am sure that the dealer installed it) and that’s it. But still more to come. ;)

I think that's all...for now:D And sorry for the crappy, no-light pics and if I committed gramatical errors (or horrors:p). The English isn't my main language.

Thanks in advance:).

Hello David...

1. to add a tacho the factory Mr. T way, you would need to add Pickup Tach sensor at your IP as seen here it goes engine side on your iP

1hz-pics-004-small-jpg.170884

2. Are you positive are split rims .. here we have almost the same model ( same market ) and it did come with 7" wheels but it would take any pizza cutter ( I'm not fan of ).

3. Mr. T like to make one harness fit it all .. so the harness you have ( as same as dash with empty dash spots ) have multiple connectors and plugs not used in your application ( 1HZ ) but might be used on more complex application as the 1VD-FTV

4. NO ECU, 98% mechanical IP that only need 12V to run ..

Hello David...

1. to add a tacho the factory Mr. T way, you would need to add Pickup Tach sensor at your IP as seen here it goes engine side on your iP

1hz-pics-004-small-jpg.170884

2. Are you positive are split rims .. here we have almost the same model ( same market ) and it did come with 7" wheels but it would take any pizza cutter ( I'm not fan of ).

3. Mr. T like to make one harness fit it all .. so the harness you have ( as same as dash with empty dash spots ) have multiple connectors and plugs not used in your application ( 1HZ ) but might be used on more complex application as the 1VD-FTV

4. NO ECU, 98% mechanical IP that only need 12V to run ..
Thanks Tapage for the reply:cheers:... wait...:idea:

1- Ok, parece muy fácil para ser verdad. Voy a probar.

2- Estoy casi seguro que son, pero aquí hay una foto por cualquier cosa:

3 y 4- Eso si ya sabia eso de cableados "universales" entre mismos modelos (Pasa lo mismo con Jeep), pero me gustaría saber que es lo que hubiera estado conectado en cada conector y switch a ver si se podrá usar (como los halógenos o luces antiniebla).
Pura vida y saludos "vecino" :D

In English for everyone:
Thanks Tapage for the reply:cheers:... wait...:idea:

1- Ok, Looks way to easy for be true. I am going to try.

2- I am sure that they are, But here is a pic:
*Same pic as above*

3 and 4- I already knew that about "universal" wiring between same models (Same happen with Jeep), but I really want to know what is connected on each plug and switch for see if can be used (like fog lights)

Pura vida y Cheers "neighbor" :D

Those wheels are not cool on my books .. we didn't get those, we get 7.5 but tubeless .. you should have that option and if it's too expensive for you in CR, Nicaragua should have those ( and other more appealing to me options ) at better prices ..

pura vida mae ..

Kinda funny, here in Canada there are going to be a thousand guys wondering why you would want
petrol over diesel.. For us the petrol is crazy expensive and known for its lower fuel economy in a gasser.
Unless that gets much better fuel economy than what I think it does.
You have to post a pic of the truck, it's the rules here. J

Those wheels are not cool on my books .. we didn't get those, we get 7.5 but tubeless .. you should have that option and if it's too expensive for you in CR, Nicaragua should have those ( and other more appealing to me options ) at better prices ..

pura vida mae ..
Well, I really don't know why they came with split rims on J79, and I think that the only Land Cruiser who brings the tubeless tires are the J76 (From this "brochure"). Also, all the J7x series come with the 1HZ (Only here:() and one (code LC11) have a tachometer:mad:. Weird huh? Here are the specs from the dealer:
http://www.toyotacr.com/fichas-tecnicas/FT-HT.pdf (Mine is the code LC06)

Kinda funny, here in Canada there are going to be a thousand guys wondering why you would want
petrol over diesel.. For us the petrol is crazy expensive and known for its lower fuel economy in a gasser.
Unless that gets much better fuel economy than what I think it does.
You have to post a pic of the truck, it's the rules here. J
Haha, I know it sounds weird and crazy change the engine from diesel to petrol (And here ~$1 per litter of petrol isn't cheap either vs ~$0.65 per litter of diesel:eek:), but is mostly because the sound (And the powaahh :hillbilly:) of the V8. Please, don't get me wrong, the diesel engines are efficient, pretty cool and with a lot of low end power, but we hate the noise that produce the 1HZ. Also, when I said it would be in a "near future", I am talking about like 3 or 4 years at least:crybaby:, so there is a small chance to turbocharge (meanwhile:D) the stock one...And the photo, well, I had a busy week (With a lot of rain :bang: ). Maybe on Saturday, sorry.

:cheers: and Pura Vida.

Oh well, in 3-4 yrs you will be tired of that truck, and having spent thousands modifying it you will be bored
of it. :rolleyes: Then I will come down and buy it from you so you can buy a brand 'NEW' petrol powered truck!! ;)
Then I can drive it back to Canada, HaHa!! J
I wish...

Oh well, in 3-4 yrs you will be tired of that truck, and having spent thousands modifying it you will be bored
of it. :rolleyes: Then I will come down and buy it from you so you can buy a brand 'NEW' petrol powered truck!! ;)
Then I can drive it back to Canada, HaHa!! J
I wish...
Hahaha, it would be hard for my dad sell his new mechanical, diesel burner "son" :D, but I will remember you for any business ;)

hi DBG, please take note the r151f gearbox of hzj79 wont last behind 1uz. there is a uzj79 thread in this forum, where the transplant includes auto gearbox. the split rim u r using is pcd150/5 +25 offset. factory alloy 7" inch rim is 0 offset.

hi DBG, please take note the r151f gearbox of hzj79 wont last behind 1uz. there is a uzj79 thread in this forum, where the transplant includes auto gearbox. the split rim u r using is pcd150/5 +25 offset. factory alloy 7" inch rim is 0 offset.
What?! :eek: I thought that the R151F would be enough for a stock-ish 1UZ, because I saw people doing "insane" power with the 1JZ from Supras and 5VZ from Tacomas using the R15x boxes and also a lot of V8 conversions with the AX15 (Similar box but from jeep) . This also means that the my Jeep AX15 is a ticking bomb :bang:...And thanks for the info:cheers:

The big blank insert is where the factory dual diff lock switch fits in. We get the dual diff locks standard in South Africa. The other banks are mostly for extras switches. Please do your homework before you put a turbo on the 1Hz. The engine is not meant to work with a turbo and you will have all sorts of reliability issues. The only successful turbo set up on a 1Hz that I have seen is the Safari turbo. In South Africa hundreds of 1Hz engines was turboe'd and 90% of these ended up burning big holes in pistons. Also the post 2013 1Hz models came with a tachometer in South Africa as standard.

Forgot to add. The first dual cabs in SA also came out with the steel rims and manual locking hubs and no fender flares. Then post October 2014 they came out with the same mags/rims as the 76 and auto locking hubs with fender flares.

In Australia the tachometer was available much earlier. I think 2002.

Thanks everybody for the replies.;)

The big blank insert is where the factory dual diff lock switch fits in. We get the dual diff locks standard in South Africa. The other banks are mostly for extras switches. Please do your homework before you put a turbo on the 1Hz. The engine is not meant to work with a turbo and you will have all sorts of reliability issues. The only successful turbo set up on a 1Hz that I have seen is the Safari turbo. In South Africa hundreds of 1Hz engines was turboe'd and 90% of these ended up burning big holes in pistons. Also the post 2013 1Hz models came with a tachometer in South Africa as standard.

Forgot to add. The first dual cabs in SA also came out with the steel rims and manual locking hubs and no fender flares. Then post October 2014 they came out with the same mags/rims as the 76 and auto locking hubs with fender flares.
Well, I am not sure if that blank space is for the locking diff, because there is a knob for that at the other side of the steering wheel. Maybe that space is for electric mirrors? But why? is a LC :D
And about the turbo 1HZ, thanks for the advice:cheers:. I was looking for turbo "kits", and then I saw a blog about why not turbo charge it, so I would scarp that idea. (1HZ: 1 - 1UZ: 3:hmm:)
Here made a mix :hillbilly:. Auto Lock hubs, no flares, diff locks and steel wheels.

Thanks. :cheers:
In Australia the tachometer was available much earlier. I think 2002.
I need to find one. Or maybe the complete gauges like above?

R151 it's not a bad tranny .. not necessary weak, just not as strong as H150 or H151 are ..
Ok, so I would give the R151 a try. If it explode, well, I need find a H15x. These came with the 80 and 100 series with a 2UZ, right?

unreal, I'd kill to have a 1hz powered 79 over the POS v8 turbo diesel engines we get.
But why exactly? I hear rumors about high possibility of injectors failure and high oil consume, but it looks like a cool and powerful (compared to the 1HZ) engine. Sincerely I never tested one, so I don't know:D
I would sell you my 1HZ, but the shipping charges are like 3/4 of the engine value. :bang:

...grass is always greener..
Looks like, but not always.;)

Ok, so I would give the R151 a try. If it explode, well, I need find a H15x. These came with the 80 and 100 series with a 2UZ, right?

correct ..

But why exactly? I hear rumors about high possibility of injectors failure and high oil consume, but it looks like a cool and powerful (compared to the 1HZ) engine. Sincerely I never tested one, so I don't know:D
I would sell you my 1HZ, but the shipping charges are like 3/4 of the engine value. :bang:

Looks like, but not always.;)
they are under powered pieces of s***, hard to work on, and unreliable. im speaking first hand, I know there will be keyboard warriors out there that say im wrong but I have owned and worked on many of them. they can suck my brown balls.

The 1hz how ever is proven simple and strong. K.I.S.S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom