Clarence the "Fire Truck" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WOW, I would say you are extremely lucky it didn't go further.
surprised the rad, belts and hoses are still together.

So the question remains…
Why did the battery go up in smoke?
That’s very unusual (never heard of it before). Was it a lithium battery?
And ….. what’s the plan to prevent it from happening again?

So the question remains…
Why did the battery go up in smoke?
That’s very unusual (never heard of it before). Was it a lithium battery?
And ….. what’s the plan to prevent it from happening again?
Great question, both of them!

It seems very random and rare from what I can tell.

I have a brand new Napa battery (had one in garage) hooked up to it right now, as I started it two days ago and it ran just fine.

I am keeping the battery hooked up to it, and so far nothing out of the ordinary is happening as it is sitting…

All of the electrical was working perfectly on this truck, and there were no gremlins prior to the fire

Here’s the burned up battery

IMG_3579.jpeg

Yeah - I guess some wet cell batteries can short circuit inside a cell and ignite the hydrogen gas in it.
Maybe check the function of the alternator voltage regulator. Make sure it’s not over charging the battery.

On to the headlight wiring (that obviously is toast)….

Does anyone know if the wiring harness that the Koito headlight upgrade comes with replaces that section of the factory wiring? If so, that’s a good thing in my case…

Most wiring harnesses plug into the existing end plugs of the original headlight wires.
I’m not familiar with the Koito harness.

Most wiring harnesses plug into the existing end plugs of the original headlight wires.
I’m not familiar with the Koito harness.
You are right… I need to first re-establish the stock headlight plug interface before making an upgrade like Koito

I have the ARB upgraded headlight wiring harness I took off my truck to return it to factory for LED upgrade. It upgrades the entire headlight wiring circuit. If you want it you can have it. PM me.

i am assuming all the front side marker lights and front turn / running combo lamps various sub-harness connections , and ALL the HORNS related wiring and connectors are gone now ?

i would simply start 1 wire at a time , ID it via the FSM EWD , apply yellow tape to each single wire , ID it sharpie pen correct , apply the yellow tape , at the furthest distance back to GOOD un affected wire ,

then you can gauge if cutting and splicing each affected wire is the way here ?

or

simply a ENTIRE replacement engine bay harness from a KNOWN reliable source , such a @cruisermatt 's Powertrain & Chassis in Florida , or Classis Cruisers in Colorado , Brandon's outfit ,

this is NOT a place a wanted ad in the classifieds here on mud and PRAY for the best senero harness shows up un-chopped at one point or more ?

NO WAY jose !

i have never seen a TOYOTA battery create a fire and melt down like this ?

ODD

if i can help or assist in any way , i will gladly contribute some time , and donate any related parts i have , on the focus point front end there

and HELL YESS , i do have every single FJ60 Engine Bay Male and Female connector housing ...... :D

- especially these litte rascals ...

55EB0BB7-1E4B-428D-A9BF-26DC698BF09F.jpeg
64A1533B-F710-4930-8730-60F9B06108A4.jpeg
70E69E79-86C6-4188-B4E9-D4C24DF6830A.jpeg
B3F0BBC1-F5D2-4C88-BF87-CB1CA0C0B0F3.jpeg
CD940ED0-9062-47A5-8D45-8756DFF85B74.jpeg
DD2CF38E-36E3-44DB-9532-B3378FE1A9D7.jpeg
greens 2.jpg

sumitomo sealed  - Copy - Copy.jpg

93B1EBCD-7240-4A22-AF5E-4185F128B2F0.jpeg

5234B554-5B00-40DF-8F64-DA6E3C07184A.jpeg

i am assuming all the front side marker lights and front turn / running combo lamps various sub-harness connections , and ALL the HORNS related wiring and connectors are gone now ?

i would simply start 1 wire at a time , ID it via the FSM EWD , apply yellow tape to each single wire , ID it sharpie pen correct , apply the yellow tape , at the furthest distance back to GOOD un affected wire ,

then you can gauge if cutting and splicing each affected wire is the way here ?

or

simply a ENTIRE replacement engine bay harness from a KNOWN reliable source , such a @cruisermatt 's Powertrain & Chassis in Florida , or Classis Cruisers in Colorado , Brandon's outfit ,

this is NOT a place a wanted ad in the classifieds here on mud and PRAY for the best senero harness shows up un-chopped at one point or more ?

NO WAY jose !

i have never seen a TOYOTA battery create a fire and melt down like this ?

ODD

if i can help or assist in any way , i will gladly contribute some time , and donate any related parts i have , on the focus point front end there

and HELL YESS , i do have every single FJ60 Engine Bay Male and Female connector housing ...... :D

- especially these litte rascals ...

View attachment 3491848View attachment 3491849View attachment 3491850View attachment 3491851View attachment 3491852View attachment 3491853View attachment 3491854

View attachment 3491858

View attachment 3491855

View attachment 3491856
Awesome man!!!

Joel ,

i also have these going on , i personally hand assemble each one , and my B+ is made above and beyond the COLD SPEC. / SNOW VERSION grade , that incudes the added armor plating loom , and subsequent , Batter Terminal B+ best DAM YAZAKI rubber boot cove on the planet , and also the same best dam starter lug YAZAKI boot ever made ......

- TOYOTA did not install the added cold spec loom detail until 1987 , and onward through FJ62 also , so with the helpful advise of @4Cruisers , whom gifted me perfect un-cut originals NEG-and POS b+ cables , i created a FJ60 / FJ62 Hybrid style , fits both modle , 8/80-1990 and have ALL the latest updates TOYOTA Genuine OEM service parts down to the included Terminals , i based them end to end off a 2005 Land Cruiser applying those late modle features and updates too ,...

GONE are the days of a LEAD LUG Fred Flintstone era batter Cable , say hello to serviceable ones have a m* stud and nut u can STACK a pile of rings like for Fusible Links too ....

- the only NON-OEM parts is the 2 AWG ANCHOR MARINE Tinned Fine stands A+ cable itself ,

- lastly , NO need to pull the A/C compressor stupid location TOYOTA bolted the NEG- under , i extended it another 6" inches , and it secures nicely the the Motor Mount dog leg at the Engine Block itself ...

- we can start your needed parts list that i will contribute here to help with these ... :)
- you can PM me , we can exchange stuff , and start a solid ala-cart line item by line item list ....

happy to help , in a way i can ..

1701029030341.png

1701029070006.png

1701029104560.png
1701029088224.png

1701029152264.png

1701029167016.png

yazaki 2.png

Last edited:
Was your winch hooked up directly to the battery with no fuse or breaker?

Are you sure the fire started at the battery?

Was your winch hooked up directly to the battery with no fuse or breaker?

Are you sure the fire started at the battery?
Yep, winch was hooked to the battery straight up. I was at work when the fire started, so I really have no idea of the origin. Could the winch have caused it?

Yep, winch was hooked to the battery straight up. I was at work when the fire started, so I really have no idea of the origin. Could the winch have caused it?

Don't know if it's what happened in your case, but it's possible. I did a lot of research before installing the Warn 10K on mine and opinions are all over the place. Lots of anecdotes and evidence about fires, particularly in front collisions when wired directly. This is mostly in J**p forums, using the same Warn winches.

I ended up using a 200 amp Breaker/on-off switch to isolate the winch when not in use. Many use a high-amp fuse.

PXL_20231126_203122803.jpg

PXL_20231126_203135731.jpg
PXL_20231126_203102414.jpg

Don't know if it's what happened in your case, but it's possible. I did a lot of research before installing the Warn 10K on mine and opinions are all over the place. Lots of anecdotes and evidence about fires, particularly in front collisions when wired directly. This is mostly in J**p forums, using the same Warn winches.

I ended up using a 200 amp Breaker/on-off switch to isolate the winch when not in use. Many use a high-amp fuse.

View attachment 3491926

View attachment 3491927View attachment 3491933
That’s a Beefy setup. Good stuff dude!

Similar setup, I used a solenoid with a switch at the dash. It keeps power out of those wires until you need it.

What Solenoid did you use (amperage)?.... That's a damn good idea. I want to organize the wiring a little better, mine is getting a bit cluttered.

What Solenoid did you use (amperage)?.... That's a damn good idea. I want to organize the wiring a little better, mine is getting a bit cluttered.
It took me a minute to find it, back to 2020...the cruiser receipts run deep! :)
Got this, put it on the PS fender area in front of washer fluid reservoir to keep it back from the front. Then finally got the decals done on the 60 push button switches 3 years later..... not taking credit for the idea, I found it on Mud somewhere at the time.
Screenshot 2023-11-26 170527.png
2023-11-26 17.14.34.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom