Chasing Ghosts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I pulled the air flow sensor, this fell out from between the sensor and the lid for the air filter.
12733533_10208900590419169_2118735102056308250_n.jpg

not a clue what that is, I removed the 2 screws at the port that the plug goes into, big mistake, shouldnt have done that, ohm tested bad, may have been good before but ill never know.
got a new sensor that ohm tested correct and installed.
idles fine and smooth at 650 RPM's.
when i give it some throttle it surges up and down vroom vroom vroom, until i let off the gas.
I banged on the EGR with no effect.
My brother that teaches auto mechanics for VW is leaning towards a clogged cat.
he suggested removing the O2 sensors to releave pressure to rule that out, but the nuts om my O2 sensors are the typical rounded crusty rust that only will break off and get more expensive.

my relay had taken on water, lots of it, i cleaned it up and thought it was ok, but a new one made it function properly.
Stopping the water leak is on the list. but for now i mounted the relay where water will roll off of it and not fill it up.
Why and how would that get between the air flow sensor and the air filter? it almost fits my little finger.

The piece in the pic is a compression sleeve. Too big for fuel line. Maybe EGR Tube?

The thing that kills FP relays is a dying FP that is drawing too many amps.

time for some real tech....

OK new air flow sensor installed.
I decided to do what was already repeatedlyrics recommended and ohm test the TPS. It homed out bad.
New TPS installed. I didn't do the fine adjustment I just turned the key. Same thing as it had been doing, perfect start and idle at 650. But tried to drive it when I push the gas peddle it surges the Tac just bounces up and down.
So I get it back home and unplug the TPS, I mash the peddle and it does not surge, so I'm close I know my problem is at the TPS.
Am I installing it wrong? With the throttle body flap closed the connection at the TPS is vertical, while the connection on the TPS is horizonal, so it would have to be open throttle before anything makes contact?
I'm so close to being able to drive it again. Just need a little help.

Ran the codes. 41 TPS was the only code.
What am I doing wrong?

Tps needs to be set a specific way. Usually it is done with the engine off, tps unplugged. Probe two terminals on the bach for a measured reading then lock it down. Service manual has the procedure. Once that is done it will rule out tps.

Yes I plan to follow that procedure. They sold me the wrong tps. Side by side looking at the part that turns they are diffrent by 45 degrees and the stops are lined up in diffrent places, so completely wrong part.
Maybe the correct one will be in tomorrow

Got the correct TPS.
Installed by FSM. And it's now drivable. I just took it around the block.
I want to have my mechanic adjust the valves and the timing
And probably run new exhaust pipe.
On a side note I bought a Silverado with the 5.3 and auto transmission.
I see now why they are so popular to swap. So much power and 19mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom