Builds Cape Town Troop Carrier CTTC (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1.jpg

On 2 February 2015 my husband Jan and I bought this beautiful Troopy as one of the last few to be imported new to South Africa. He is a 1HZ 4,2 and we dreamed and prayed about him for nearly four years. Our plan is to drive North through Africa, through the Middle East (if they will just stop fighting for a while!) to Europe. Then to ship to Canada, and run from North to South through the America's.

First we have to turn this car into the best overland vehicle suited for our needs. My research have led met to realize that there is not a single "perfect build plan". I design buildings for a living, and was surprised to see that the same criteria for house plans apply for overland vehicles :)

Mechanically, we will not be doing much to the car, as Toyota has pretty much figured that out without our help. We have only put in spacers for the back to correct the difference in wheel track (thank you Theo Marx).

9.jpg

On 24 November 2015 the day arrived that I witnessed Alu-cab cut open my car like a tin of tuna! Except for giving birth, definitely the most stressful day of my life!!!

20151221_154910.jpg

Now we have the best tent (imho) on this planet, and effectively leaves us with a double-decker house on wheels. We will be starting on the layout and installation of the cabinets and other goodies in the back shortly, so will keep you posted as we go along.

Great to be part of this exciting build, here in Cape Town.

What did you think of my thoughts on the cupboard being on the left instead of the right? What made you choose left?

Still trying to establish if Alu-Cab can fit a long enough roof replacement flip top tent on a 76 (as we are not finding any Troopies lying around just waiting to be bought at ridiculously low prices!

Please keep us informed as to the build.

Regards

What did you think of my thoughts on the cupboard being on the left instead of the right? What made you choose left?

Still trying to establish if Alu-Cab can fit a long enough roof replacement flip top tent on a 76

We started out our design with the cupboard on the right hand side, but then we came across the Troopy built by Drifta for the Aussieoverlanders.

IMG_4532 - Copy.jpg

We thought that the pull-out kitchen was a really neat idea, but decided to swop the bench to the barndoor side, so that the bigger door can provide shelter for the stove. We have since felt that this kitchen is just too much hastle for us, since we want to keep the whole setup as simple as possible, so we will now only be fitting a basin to the small door, and a drop-down table on the barndoor, with an electrical outlet on the side of the bench where the induction plate can be plugged into, should we need to brew something up next to the road.

doors.jpg

I found these ideas on the Troopcarriers of Australia FB site. Also our high cupboard will be 900mm high throughout, which will still leave a little over 100mm of window space open to let in light.

Since we are not doing the pull-out kitchen anymore, we will make the bench accessible from the top. Again Drifta has some very good ideas.

bench.jpg

I like the fold-out and stand mechanism of the top two pics, but will put in the flip-open lids and extra storage behind like the bottom two pics.

The trick for us will lie in equal distribution of stuff in the cupboards on the one side, recovery gear and fridge on the other side, as well as the fuel and water tanks underneath.

We still have a very long way to go and a lot to learn!

As for the fliptop on the 76...

First of all I want to say that we had great dealings with Alu-cab, and are still keen on buying their awning and roofrack. However, as Theo have mentioned, they are not very keen on changing their design, which is understandable to a degree. I do not think the fact that the 76 is a bit shorter than my car, is a big factor. Their previous PRO/salesman is over 2m tall, and he insisted that one would not be able to fit the tent. My husband and I are not the world's tallest people, but there is still way more than enough space for us. Given the number of 76's in South Africa, I think you should have a go at trying to persuade them.

With regards to your search of a Troopy, I have heard that Black Mountain mine at Aggeneys (on the N14 in the Northern Cape) have quite a few of them, and they come on the market from time to time.

Good luck with your search.

Good ideas. I really like that pop out washing basin idea, and the neatly concealed tap. AluCab had a fantastic drop down table for the barn door - looked like stainless steel, and very neat. I also hear you suggestions about the bottom two picture "bins" and ability to store stuff behind them. I see what you say about having enough room for the pull out on the right.

Thanks for the tip on Black Mountain. I have a contact there, which I am now pursuing, although I fear their cars might be a bit hammered. Lets see. I will still stick on getting AluCab to advise on changing their design to include a shorter version for the now far more available 76.

Regards

Hi Troepadoer, can you do me a BIG favour and measure the length of the roof top tent like from above the windscreen (Maybe from the inside hinge) to the back of the unit above the doors?

Thanks.

I like the collapsible sink.

Hi Troepadoer, can you do me a BIG favour and measure the length of the roof top tent like from above the windscreen (Maybe from the inside hinge) to the back of the unit above the doors?

Thanks.
Hi Wildphoto,

The length is 2,70m from hinge to the back above the doors ;)

Cheers!

Still trying to establish if Alu-Cab can fit a long enough roof replacement flip top tent on a 76

We started out our design with the cupboard on the right hand side, but then we came across the Troopy built by Drifta for the Aussieoverlanders.

View attachment 1254507

We thought that the pull-out kitchen was a really neat idea, but decided to swop the bench to the barndoor side, so that the bigger door can provide shelter for the stove. We have since felt that this kitchen is just too much hastle for us, since we want to keep the whole setup as simple as possible, so we will now only be fitting a basin to the small door, and a drop-down table on the barndoor, with an electrical outlet on the side of the bench where the induction plate can be plugged into, should we need to brew something up next to the road.

View attachment 1254511

I found these ideas on the Troopcarriers of Australia FB site. Also our high cupboard will be 900mm high throughout, which will still leave a little over 100mm of window space open to let in light.

Since we are not doing the pull-out kitchen anymore, we will make the bench accessible from the top. Again Drifta has some very good ideas.

View attachment 1254513

I like the fold-out and stand mechanism of the top two pics, but will put in the flip-open lids and extra storage behind like the bottom two pics.

The trick for us will lie in equal distribution of stuff in the cupboards on the one side, recovery gear and fridge on the other side, as well as the fuel and water tanks underneath.

We still have a very long way to go and a lot to learn!

Hello Troepadoer,

Your project is looking great. The pullout kitchen has got pluses and minuses. It is neat and compact, but you are really limited in bad weather. To access the pullout kitchen the back door needs to be open. The company that makes the kitchen you saw is Drifta » CAMPING KITCHENS » Drifta Camping & 4WD . The aussieoverlanders vehicle was converted by Mulgo in Sydney (Home). Mulgo does a similar conversion to the Alu-cab flip top.

Hello Troepadoer,

Your project is looking great. The pullout kitchen has got pluses and minuses. It is neat and compact, but you are really limited in bad weather. To access the pullout kitchen the back door needs to be open. The company that makes the kitchen you saw is Drifta » CAMPING KITCHENS » Drifta Camping & 4WD . The aussieoverlanders vehicle was converted by Mulgo in Sydney (Home). Mulgo does a similar conversion to the Alu-cab flip top.

Hi Allan!

A while ago (before we had the Troopy) my husband and I were held at gunpoint inside our vehicle in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, for three days. The whole ordeal was not as scary as it was bloody inconvenient! This is where our dream of this overland vehicle started. We wanted to be able to eat, sleep and do minimum ablutions inside for a short while at least.

I want to stress that we are not trying to build a Fort Knox! I am not afraid of people, and we will camp outside of our car MOST of the time. We live on the most beautiful continent in the world, and there is nothing that I love more than to sit next to a camp fire at night hearing the noises of the bush around us, and watching stars like diamonds overhead.

We like the layout of the Aussieoverlanders vehicle in that it has a high cupboard on the one side and the bench on the other, with a clear path in between. For the reason you have mentioned above, we have decided to have an induction stoveplate and a small stainless steel basin on-top of the high cupboard. I will then be able to prepare meals inside of the car when the roof is up.

The dropdown table on the barndoor will enable me to use the same stoveplate outside of the car when we camp and there is no time to make a fire, or when it is not safe to make one.

@wildphoto has asked me why I do not consider having my stoveplate in a pull out drawer, so that I will be able to prepare meals even when the roof is down, and my answer is that we are not designing this car so that we can “live inside it”. It is still primarily only our vehicle to reach places that most other vehicles cannot, and we still love living outside and around it, more than we would like to be cooped up inside.

The tents that you and I now have on our cars are Alu-cab’s second design. The first one (that they built for Andrew St.Pierre White) were even more square at the front. We just could not get ourselves to do that to the Troopy. I then wrote Mulgo in an effort to import their tent as a whole and have it installed here, but they explained that they use very specific bonding materials and techniques, and did not want/foresee that technology to leave their company – which I had to respect.

We then went back to Alu-cab and by then they have already changed the design to what we have now. My husband is designing a pulley system to install at the back of the tent, so that we will be able to open and close it from the inside, and I will keep you up to date on that.

Cheers from Cape Town!

Hello Troepadoer, I have to admire and respect the way you write about being held at gun point as being "bloody inconvenient". I think I'd be less sanguine than you.

Your layout sounds very practical, and similar to ours. The biggest "design issue" we spent time mulling over was where to put the fridge and drinking water. Both ended up behind the passenger and driver seats respectively. We opted to keep the drinking water inside rather than slung under the vehicle, (a) because it was a cheaper option and (b) because there is less chance of accidental damage and subsequent loss of precious drinking water.

I'm intrigued by the idea of the pulley system to close the top from inside. Keeping the canvas from being trapped in the seals will be an issue I think.

What kind of induction stove plate do you have? I have a single induction stove plate that I bought for tabletop cooking (Chinese style), but it is 240 volts and I'm sure it pulls a hefty current. Are you planning to use an inverter to up the voltage from your 12v system?

Oh, and by the way, we think Australia is a pretty beautiful continent as well.

Hello Troepadoer, I have to admire and respect the way you write about being held at gun point as being "bloody inconvenient". I think I'd be less sanguine than you.

Your layout sounds very practical, and similar to ours. The biggest "design issue" we spent time mulling over was where to put the fridge and drinking water. Both ended up behind the passenger and driver seats respectively. We opted to keep the drinking water inside rather than slung under the vehicle, (a) because it was a cheaper option and (b) because there is less chance of accidental damage and subsequent loss of precious drinking water.

I'm intrigued by the idea of the pulley system to close the top from inside. Keeping the canvas from being trapped in the seals will be an issue I think.

What kind of induction stove plate do you have? I have a single induction stove plate that I bought for tabletop cooking (Chinese style), but it is 240 volts and I'm sure it pulls a hefty current. Are you planning to use an inverter to up the voltage from your 12v system?

Oh, and by the way, we think Australia is a pretty beautiful continent as well.

As for the gunpoint thing - we were "pretty" sure that they did not have live ammunition - they just wanted US dollars, which we did not have - so we just sat them out until they grew tired of us and eventually left :)

We also do not know how we are going to solve the trapped canvas thing, but will find a way!

Jan is planning to put in two Victron lead crystal batteries and a 2kW inverter. This will be topped up with a solar panel on the roof, and we will charge the batteries when-ever possible in campsites etc. Cooking on the induction plate will in any case be for quick, small meals.

We plan to do the same as you regarding fridge and water. We have a trusted old 40 liter National Luna at the moment, but it is very high, and does not "fit" the bench like I would like it to. We are tentatively considering replacing it with two Indel B TB31 fridges. They are only 375mm high x 585 long x 345 wide, which will be perfect to fit the bench, and then we have the added benefit of having one 28 liter for fridge and the other as freezer (when going on a loooong trip). We haven't quit made up our minds about this though...

And as for Aus... we would reaaaaalllllyyyy love to one day be able to do the round-trip of that beautiful continent!

Well AluCab have just replied to my suggestion of perhaps trying to design a shorter structure for a 76 with access from inside, with pretty much a "NO". Surprised they don't recognise that the number of Troopies is dwindling fast.

So back to a) finding a hidden 78, or b) finding a willing aluminium tent constructor that can design a structure for a vehicle about 350mm shorter than the 78. :-(

I will just have to drool over your exciting projects!

Well AluCab have just replied to my suggestion of perhaps trying to design a shorter structure for a 76 with access from inside, with pretty much a "NO". Surprised they don't recognise that the number of Troopies is dwindling fast.

So back to a) finding a hidden 78, or b) finding a willing aluminium tent constructor that can design a structure for a vehicle about 350mm shorter than the 78. :-(

I will just have to drool over your exciting projects!
I am very sorry to hear this news. Since we are also looking for another overland vehicle, we thought going for a Wagon would be our only solution. We have a 80 series 4500, but he's getting on in years, and I won't want to do very long trips with him anymore. Did Alu-cab give you their reason for turning down your request?

As for the gunpoint thing - we were "pretty" sure that they did not have live ammunition - they just wanted US dollars, which we did not have - so we just sat them out until they grew tired of us and eventually left :)

We also do not know how we are going to solve the trapped canvas thing, but will find a way!

Jan is planning to put in two Victron lead crystal batteries and a 2kW inverter. This will be topped up with a solar panel on the roof, and we will charge the batteries when-ever possible in campsites etc. Cooking on the induction plate will in any case be for quick, small meals.

We plan to do the same as you regarding fridge and water. We have a trusted old 40 liter National Luna at the moment, but it is very high, and does not "fit" the bench like I would like it to. We are tentatively considering replacing it with two Indel B TB31 fridges. They are only 375mm high x 585 long x 345 wide, which will be perfect to fit the bench, and then we have the added benefit of having one 28 liter for fridge and the other as freezer (when going on a loooong trip). We haven't quit made up our minds about this though...

And as for Aus... we would reaaaaalllllyyyy love to one day be able to do the round-trip of that beautiful continent!

It still takes a cool head to call the gunmen's bluff like that.

The roof top tent we had before we cut our Troopy's roof off had a neat system to keep the canvas tucked in while folding the tent up. It was sort of the opposite of the bungy cord that we have on the Alu-Cab tent that gathers the canvas in while the lid is being closed.

Our old tent had three pairs of small D rings stitched into the side walls opposite each other between which a removable bungy cord was stretched when it came time to pack up. When the tent was folded the tension of the bungy cords pulled the canvas in. I imagine a similar system could be rigged on the Alu-Cab flip top if you wanted a way to avoid pinching the canvas when closing from inside.

There is still the problem of the external latches to solve.

The fridge we have is a Waeco 80lt, it has a system of baffles that gives it two basic configurations. With the baffles in place, it is a fridge with a freezer section (about 60/40 split) and with the baffles removed it is all fridge - or freezer if you dial down the temp. National Luna has a great looking 90lt with dedicated fridge/freezer sections as does Engle. The Waeco, Engle and National Luna would come close you your size specifications.

Our battery setup is fairly simple and standard dual battery system (ARB but not Redarc) with a "marine" deep cycle lead acid battery under the bonnet with a charge regulator that keeps it charged from the alternator while driving but isolates it from drawing on the cranking battery. We connected that to solar panels via a second regulator to keep it charged when stationary. Normally, if we're set up in one spot and not moving around we'll get about three days from the battery without needing a charge - that usually equals a weekend getaway without needing the solar panels. That is just running the fridge, some minimal LED lights and phone/iPad/camera charging.

I should also add that, just like power points in a kitchen, you can't have too many 12v or USB power outlets in the Troopy. I've added four USB outlets to the dash (cranking battery system) and there are another four USB and four 12v outlets in the back (second battery system). USB outlets are great because you can leave the "plug-in-the-wall" chargers at home and just take the cables away with you.

I am very sorry to hear this news. Since we are also looking for another overland vehicle, we thought going for a Wagon would be our only solution. We have a 80 series 4500, but he's getting on in years, and I won't want to do very long trips with him anymore. Did Alu-cab give you their reason for turning down your request?
Hi, they just replied that "its not in their sights at the moment" but would let me should that change. I know they have a lot on their plate, and very busy with the rest of the existing products. So there is still light at the end of the tunnel.

Maybe a little more interest will get them to reconsider - hint, hint ;)

I have never tried their existing 78 top to know if a 76 roof, being about 350mm shorter, will be a problem. I did think it might mean that the flap where you climb up, might need to be where the pillows/heads go. Maybe even split in two so that one person can climb down, eg to make coffee, while the other (me) sleeps!

PS my Howling Moon RTT has exactly the D rings and bungees that @AlanofOZ speaks about, and they work very well, possibly even think of replacing your external cord completely.

I should also add that, just like power points in a kitchen, you can't have too many 12v or USB power outlets in the Troopy. I've added four USB outlets to the dash (cranking battery system) and there are another four USB and four 12v outlets in the back (second battery system). USB outlets are great because you can leave the "plug-in-the-wall" chargers at home and just take the cables away with you.

Alan, will you please send some pics of your electricity setup? It sounds great, and Jan and I have not actually spent a lot of time on this subject. We will appreciate all the help we can get!

Hi, they just replied that "its not in their sights at the moment" but would let me should that change. I know they have a lot on their plate, and very busy with the rest of the existing products. So there is still light at the end of the tunnel.

Maybe a little more interest will get them to reconsider - hint, hint ;)

I have never tried their existing 78 top to know if a 76 roof, being about 350mm shorter, will be a problem. I did think it might mean that the flap where you climb up, might need to be where the pillows/heads go. Maybe even split in two so that one person can climb down, eg to make coffee, while the other (me) sleeps!

PS my Howling Moon RTT has exactly the D rings and bungees that @AlanofOZ speaks about, and they work very well, possibly even think of replacing your external cord completely.

You should still hold out hope for the 76. Imho it can definitely work.

As for the bungee cords mentioned by both you and AlanofOZ: we have Eazy-Awns working the same way, so have also thought along those lines. Our concern is on how to fix the little rings to the inside of the tent without damaging the material and loosing the waterproofing it provides.

I hate wet bedding much more than men with guns ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom