Can I manually engage E-Hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1995 Prado and 4WD isn’t working. I’ve got vacuum and t-case is engaging so I’ve narrowed it down to the hubs. I think my plan is to convert to manual hubs but we are currently having a snow storm and would like to use my truck. Am I correct in assuming I can pop the front hub covers off and press something to lock the hubs?

1995 Prado and 4WD isn’t working. I’ve got vacuum and t-case is engaging so I’ve narrowed it down to the hubs. I think my plan is to convert to manual hubs but we are currently having a snow storm and would like to use my truck. Am I correct in assuming I can pop the front hub covers off and press something to lock the hubs?

the short answer is NO.

Actually, if you pull the front covers you can rotate the locking ring to extend the splines out and engage the front axle shafts. Just make sure not to press the hub lock button with them that way.

Before doing that I would recommend pulling the covers and confirming that the hub lock motors are not spinning when you press the button. If they are, then the system is working but the splines are not falling into place. There have been a couple of times where I've had to reach under the vehicle and slowly turn the front driveshaft back and forth until the hub splines engage.

What AirheadNut said, plus you can take off the motor's gear so it doesnt interfere. There's a video on youtube --->

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom