Camp Fire In A Can (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yotatech.com
Yep, it is one of those propane campfires, and this one is considered to be the best one on the market.

So why did I buy this?
I am one that has to have a campfire every trip.
Sometimes in the back country like up at Greenwater, WA, where I like to go, if we have had a long dry hot spell, the ranger district does not allow campfires due to sparks from a wood fueled campfire.
This happened to me there at Greenwater back in 2009 on one of my weekend camping trips, and it has happened before that too in the past.

Enter a propane fire pit, these are OK to use, as they are not much different than using a propane fueled camp stove.

This puts out around 65K BTU at the maximum setting, and testing it out this morning at 40°.
So far with the testing done with it this morning, I am very happy with it.

I will still take a wood campfire, but if I get to my destination and there is a campfire restriction on, out comes this unit from the rig to save the night.

Camp Fire In A Cans website:
Campfire In A Can - Portable Propane Fire Pit for Backyard & Camping

Vids were shot with the GoPro2 Hero at 1080P wide setting.
Pics were taken at 11 megapixels then shrunk down.
Not sure how to embed Vimeo vids here.

https://vimeo.com/39146477

https://vimeo.com/39146476

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I will have a full review of this in my Camping Gear Review thread, and also on my personal Camping Gear Review blog that is linked in the first video if you click the vids URL to go to its own page after my first trip out in 2012.

I bought a Fire Dancer several years ago, for the same reason as Corey (fire closures in late summer here in WA). So far, I've never actually had to break it out. I have to say, though, that nothing sucks as much as sitting around camp in the dark, feeding the mosquitos. I carry it during fire season just in case.
Firedancer.jpg

Last edited:
Is this enforced only in WA? I've never heard of it in california. I mean we have "burn days" here in valley ( sacramento area ) which means you can only burn on certain days, unless its raining. But that doesn't matter in the forest. You just need a fire permit unless its a designated camp ground with a pit.

Is this enforced only in WA? I've never heard of it in california. I mean we have "burn days" here in valley ( sacramento area ) which means you can only burn on certain days, unless its raining. But that doesn't matter in the forest. You just need a fire permit unless its a designated camp ground with a pit.

Yes we have these restrictions and they are common during the late summer. With the way this winter has been I expect we will have restrictions this summer.

It's more common than not to have fire restrictions in the Sierra. You need a fire permit at all times no matter what.

We have gotten to the point we actually enjoy camping with out a fire. You would not believe how many more stars you see with out a fire.

Back OT,

$280.00:eek:

Yep, it be pricey, but perhaps the best one on the market.
Here is a comparison.
Campfire Comparisons

I would have liked to have had this in 2009 when I was up at Greenwater, and I saw the sign about 1/4 mile into the forest service road that said no campfires until further notice.
I got bit really good that trip at night.

We would still need a fire permit in the Tahoe Basin;
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/ltbmu/passes-permits said:
Campfire Permits

You must have a valid Campfire Permit to use a stove, lantern, charcoal barbecue, or wood campfire outside of a developed campground orrecreation area. The permit is your agreement to follow the campfire restrictions and regulations in effect. Campfire Permits may be obtained at the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit Forest Supervisor's Office or the Taylor Creek Visitor Center. Campfire Permits are issued Free of charge.

Mike, any chance you can provide info on how long a 20 or 10 gal propane tank last... at high setting...

Last edited:
20 gal propane tank is BIG!!

When I saw this thread title I thought it would be this. It's a galvanized bucket filled with wax with a grid of cardboard as a wick. I've used this for years and keep replacing the wick and wax. The lid is attached to the bucket and to extinguish the fire you just put the lid on. It makes a nice big fire and I haven't been able to find a new one, as the original label is long gone.
002.jpg

Last edited:
Coffee can would work just fine for that.

There you go, improving on my patent..

I'm calling a lawyer..

I used to make a mini stove out of a tuna can and wax before backpacking trips. Disposable stove! The one I have pictured is 8" wide. Tuna can on steroids!

Skidplate I love that fire in a can thing. Got me to thinking about making one and using some sort of mosquito repellant oil in the wax to keep those pesky things away. You say it makes a pretty good sized flame, is it a flame large enough to cook over?

Ricky, yea, the size of the fire is relative to the size of the wick. Originally when I bought the thing, the wick went from side to side like a series of "X",s. I found the flame to actually be too big thats why I made a smaller one out pieces of a 12 pack carton. It's plenty big for cooking providing you have an adjustable height grill. yummm! citronella flavored hot dogs.

We don't need fire permits in most areas of Washington, but we do have fire restrictions often at the end of summer when it has been really dry for several weeks or more. Sometimes, fires are allowed in very specific, FS-installed fire rings in very specific campgrounds. Other than that, the only fires allowed during restrictions have to be controlled by an on/off valve that can extinguish the fire immediately and they have to produce no ash. So, the only fires allowed under those conditions are propane or white gas type. Sometimes, even those are banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom