CAM SHAFT SEALS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey folks have a couple questions.

I finally broke down and took the Mrs's 2000 LX470 into a mechanic to have the timing belt, water pump, and cracked passenger side exhaust manifold replaced. I could most likely do this myself if I had the time, the only problem is I don't have the time. And if I do have time I'd rather spend it wrenching on my FJ45.

They dug into it a bit and said the camshaft seals were leaking as well. I've seen on lots of threads that the camshaft seals are commonly replaced when the timing belt and water pump are done. So I figured well as long as they are in there....

I am being told that on the LX's that the camshaft actually has to be removed to change the seals thus the high labor costs I was quoted. Can someone confirm that the camshaft has to be removed to replace the seals? I feel like I've seen in threads that the seals can be replaced rather easily once in there and I don't feel like I've ever seen that the camshaft actually has to be removed!

Any advice would be very welcome!!

My understanding is that they're pretty straightforward on the non-vvti engines. Someone who knows for sure will chime in, but I think they have this one wrong.

Great thanks guys. Just for my understanding and so I have some good arguments when I talk to the mechanic again, why do you have to pull the crankshaft on a VVTI engine but not on a non VVTI engine.

Can anyone weigh in on why it's necessary to pull the cams on VVTI engines and not on non VVTI engines? I can't wrap my head around the reasoning so perhaps it's just something that's actually physically in the way?

Like others said, on vvti 2uzs, you must remove the cams to replace the cam seals.

We replace cam seals on the non vvti timing belts and do not replace on the vvti engines. We will quote additional labor to do so if we find them leaking.

I have only seen one leaking and this was on a ls430 with maybe 300k miles.

Ton504....Seems like I'm trying to be had!!

Thanks for the info.

Definitely question the mechanic on what model year he thinks he is working on. Once you're down to where you're replacing the water pump and tb to do the cam seals you remove the pulley bolts, either 3 or 4 small bolts per side for some covers and your at the seals. Pop em out, clean up the end of the cam shaft, pop new ones in. Decent mechanic should be able to do both sides in 20 - 30 minutes tops. Just make sure he knows which direction the timing pulleys go back on - is possible to put them on backwards.

Great info gents!! I love this forum. I do 99% of all the work on my 40, 60, and 45, so I was a bit nervous having someone else work on the LX, and the up-charge on the labor is exactly one of the reasons. The other being that others may not be as anal as I am when wrenching on MY trucks.

Hopefully this post helps someone else out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom